Is Snooth scraping data from CellarTracker?

http://www.winebusiness.com/insiderblog/?go=getBlogEntry&dataId=83246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the end of the day, the data on my site is my site’s data and my user’s data.

Quick question: who owns the notes on CT? Eric/Cellartracker or the users themselves? Seems like that should be in the Terms of Use or other disclaimer you check at the very beginning. Not that it matters since I think Eric acts in good faith–but it does in figuring out who is stealing from whom (or in situations like eBob where they acted in bad faith, though technically their terms of use gave the ownership of the comments they put behind the pay wall).

+1

CT has been the single most important factor in my wine education. I take this as a personal affront.

Eric would have to answer the ownership and TOU question, but in either case (CT owned or User owned) it is an issue of IP infringement and the Nexus of ownership is CT.

Isn’t Greg Dal Piaz 1) a member here and 2) a prominent Snooth person? Maybe he can clue us in…

(Also as posted on the CT forums…)

User tags from Snooth on the 2005 Tolo Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon:
rich, decant, cocoa, herb, acidic, black fruit, promising

From my tasting note (the only one):
Thursday, May 13, 2010 - Decanted 1 hour, consumed over 1 hour. Rich nose with a hint of heat, although the alcohol content is a reasonable 14.6%. Cocoa, herbs, black fruits, and a nice streak of acidity. Promising, but this needs time to come together.

This doesn’t seem to happen to the same degree with every wine where mine is the only note…but still.

Coincidence?

====================

It seems like they might be scraping data from a lot of sources and not checking it. Knowing that Tolo is also the name of a toy company gives me an idea where this listing is coming from, but it’s still pretty funny:

http://www.snooth.com/wine/tolo-wiggly-jiggly-sneezy-the-dragon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here’s your answer:

Terms & Conditions - CellarTracker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“By posting Contributions, you are granting to CellarTracker and its licensees a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive and irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Contributions by you (in whole or in part) and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now or hereafter known.”

““Contributions” means all information, records, tasting notes, comments, data and other material, except for Third Party Materials, posted by you to the Service or otherwise provided by you to CellarTracker.”

I read the business insider blog. Snooth looks pretty awful.

you know what I hate about Snooth is that when I google a wine their worthless website is the first link.

Just had a nice chat with one of my lawyers, and we are actively exploring our options.

Not to make light of the situation, but isn’t it slightly ironic that Gene’s last post about CT ownership of TN’s is immediately followed by his AutoSig “The things you own end up owning you”

[snort.gif]

Eric is one of the hardest working guys in WineBiz…it’s a shame to see someone work hard to make something that has passion and purpose, only to see it casually stolen by mindless technology. I’m ok with him owning my content, he gives me back in spades for the little bit I contribute and pay him each year.

[worship.gif]

About every 6 mos I also get some douchey-email from a snooth-contributor soliciting free samples due to snooth’s seo…

i bet they have ever meta tag in the world on their site :smiley:

Totally agree

From the Snooth founders’ blog… Bojago.com is for sale | HugeDomains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“…We have made some progress though – we’re now processing data from over 10,000 sources…”

Um…

“I remember back in 2006 when I first started Snooth, I’d go speak to the guys leading the way in wine data and everyone would try to steer me off trying to create a clean and unified database. Well, there’s a reason why they warned me off it. It really is hard. I know that now. We’ve had PhDs and genome sequencing scientists working on it for four years now. We’ve invested over $1,000,000 in building the first unified database for the industry, and we’ve still got a long way to go.”

cough

“we’re still the only site that offers both reviews and prices on the same page. Offering either one or the other is simpler, offering both simultaneously is exponentially harder.”

This was particularly funny - in a how much bullshit can I pile kind of way.

A.

Amen

Hope it all goes well for you, Eric. This is simply unbelievable . . .

Ooooooh PhDs and GENOME SEQUENCING SCIENTISTS!!! Ooooooh…

rolleyes

Personally, I would send them a cease and desist order and leave it at that…

…just my personal opinion/take.

+2. Snooth is a worthless site. It doesn’t do one facet of a compiler, affiliate, or review site well.