Indianapolis Offline: 4/8 6:30pm

Most likely I will. Rental is cheaper than RT taxi

For the 4/8 offline:

In light of all the lovely reds being offered(including one Boreaux), I am hesitant to offer more but just in case…

• 2005 Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
    -Château Coutinel ‘Et ici chez elle à Tuolouse on l’appelle négrette’ (fronton) 100 % négrette

In the ‘weird’ white department:

• Domaine de la Chanade “Les Rials” - tastes slightly off dry so could be a good apperatif but also does well with food.

Dessert Whites

• Château d’Yquem 1994
  • Tour Blanche 2005
  • Sichel Fils et Frères Barsac 1947 -Got this from K&L, cap is missing but cork looks good…foranyone feeling brave

might be able to get a bottle of:

• Chateau Bouscasse - Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh Vendémiaire 2008 - unique dessert wine…apricots with great acidity

So please weigh in on what you want from the list above. :slight_smile:

Josh - I doubt that I am anymore the champagne expert than are you! I have had some José Michel’s meunier offerings in the past…I think of his wines as perfect for people who claim they hate meunier based champagne as they defy the meunier stereotype. Have not had any Bara…yet :wink:

Can’t make the 3/22 midweek…but hope you all have a good time.

EDITED TO REMOVE: Château Chalon Berthet-Bondet Jura 1999 because it is going to a good friend of mine :wink:

John - Both your Cdp offerings sounds great to me :slight_smile:

Kyle - Thank you for bringing a Musar…one of those bucket list ‘to try’ producers for me.

Probably Bordeaux or old Napa cab.

JD

Mary, I think you should bring whatever strikes your fancy. I can adjust my wine also to bring a white if we are lacking.

Pat - Thanks for the suggestion.

I wil be bringing:

Domaine de la Chanade “Les Rials”
Château d’Yquem 1994

My wife and I just had something we can’t dodge on the 8th so we can’t be there. Have fun and I hope there is a next one and that I can make it.

JD

I’d use the thread to quickly thank Pat (+the house+the guests) for hosting me for a great midweek tasting. Great food and great lineup with the '78 Barolo. Of course, I was pleased to see the '76 Montelena north coast in the hall of fame-- one included in our hall of fame as well [cheers.gif]

You are quite welcome Erez.

Never mind, we can be there…

JD

Hey Hoosiers; my daughter is going to IU in Bloomington, so I hope to connect with some of you sometime in Indy or Bloomington. Are restaurants open to corkage in Indiana? I remember most places I have been to in Bloomington (Janko’s, Uptown Cafe) had a no corkage policy…due to state laws…

Also-any wine friendly places in Bloomington? Let me
know/ thanks

Hopefully someone from the Bloomington area will chime in. You are correct that it is illegal to bring wine to a restaurant in Indiana.

Right now, I think NoCo (No Coast Reserve) on the square and Truffles (near College Mall) are the most wine-friendly places, in the sense of having the best selection of wines. Neither will let you bring wine in.

Feel free to PM, if you will be coming to town–possible some of us could get together to pull some corks.

Ditto on the restuarant suggestions in Bloomington.

Keep me in the loop for any Bloomington get togethers…always happy to have an excuse for wine and good company :slight_smile:

First, Indy people, I have to cancel, again. Sorry,

Yes, corkage is not legal in Indiana. Occasionally you will find a place willing to allow it but that is an exception. I am going to check with a couple of places but do not hold a lot of hope. Maybe we can work something out somewhere.

JD

Hoping to finalize our wines by Friday! Looking forward to meeting all you fine folks this weekend :slight_smile:

I am back down to just my husband and myself coming. My friends both had last minute issues (work, family).

I look forward to meeting everyone this weekend. Thanks again for organizing this.

To everyone who couldn’t make it this time…here’s hoping we have more offlines in the future.

Thanks to everyone for coming last night and contributing to a wonderful evening. Please list the wines you brought so we can establish a complete list. Not sure if anyone got a pic of the bottles, that seemed to get forgotten at the end of the evening.

My wines:
2002 René Michel Mâcon-Villages Heritage Vendange Boytrytisees
4/8/2017 - I wrote: 93 points
I served this blind to go with a lobster dish. It paired perfectly well. Honeysuckle, pineapple, and white fruits. High viscosity meets bright acidity. A really interesting and compelling wine.

1993 Château Rausan-Ségla 1.5L
4/8/2017 - I wrote: 88 points
From magnum. Showing really well with a minimal decant. One of the 1993s worth seeking out. I didn’t take any careful notes but I remember this bottle being fully integrated and completely ready to drink. Lots of floral elements, and red fruits. Pretty low acid content and not the longest finish. I nice wine worth the price I paid.

Thank you all for your generosity in both wine and company. I am afraid that I was starting to lag behind somewhere after the third red wine was poured…too much of a lightweight to keep up. Nevertheless, I made many wonderful discoveries - new wines to seek out in the near future. I loved the blind tasting - would never have guessed chardonnay.

My wines:
Domaine de la Chanade “Les Rials” Galliac 100% Len de Lel/Loin de L’Oeil
tasted 4/8/17
Showing lots of melon chilled. A hint of something wild like grape skins or even foxines - which goes away after a little time in the glass. Becoming more tropical towards rooms temp. Wonderful leesy character and oak aging giving it a nice depth. Fascinating to hear what notes people were tasting as the wine opened up. Went well with both the seviche and lobster. A fabelous bargain yet obscure/weird enough to impress wine geek friends. Discovered this on Fringe Wine blog while researching weird new grapes to try.

Château d’Yquem 1994 Sauternes
tased 4/8/17
Our waiter graciously offered me a glass to accompany the foie gras. Marmalade, spice, and honey. Amzingly fresh tasting despite a somewhat darkish color, which made it a great pairing with the foie. Many sauternes, even young, are almost too rich to my palate to pair with foie.
Yquem has a freshness and balance that allows the fruit to shine. A contrast to many other Sauternesc that are heavy, syrupy, and dominated with caramel/Crème brûlée notes that obscure the fruit. Fabelous bottle that exceeded my expectations because of its somehwhat dark color.