I still really like France

You. Are. Killing. Me.

Jean-Marc and Anne-Marie Vincent were in great form when we visited them last night. These two hard working folk are at the top of their game. They spend countless hours in the vineyard and their resultant wines are so bright and energetic and full of character.

Speaking of characters Jean-Marc is one of the great ones of the region. His command of the English language gets better each time we visit and he has a cheekiness and sense of timing with his humour that is rare. We were talking about how Olivier Lamy got struck by lightning last year and asking if he was ok, Jean-Marc said ‘his wife has some difficulties to sleep because he is producing some light’.

2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Bourgogne Blanc: It is rare to find Bourgogne with so much character and detail. This is a cracker! On the nose there is citrus blossom, lemon and lime. It has decent volume in the mouth with citrus and white peach fruit flavours. There’s a lick of grapefruit to the finish.

2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Auxey-Duresses ‘Les Hautes’ Blanc: Upon first sniff there’s a hint of toast, some preserved lemon and pure white peach. It is quite dense and sappy on the palate, filling the mouth with orchard fruit flavours. It has excellent balance, nice texture and good length.

2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay ‘Le Beaurepaire’ 1er Cru Blanc: This has the finesse of Puligny, coupled with the line and intensity of Les Clos. It is minerally, fine and understated. There are notes of white peach, citrus and limestone. It is direct, compact and piercing with outstanding length of flavor and chalky dry extract.

2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay V.V: There’s 40% whole bunch here and you get some nice violet perfume. There are red berries, meat and earth. It has good acidity and detail and it finishes with a crunchy snap.

2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay ‘Le Beaurepaire’ 1er Cru Rouge: Perfumed nose of roses, freshly grated ginger, plum and red berries. Sweet, opulent, round and supple in the mouth. Nice tension to the finish.

2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay ‘Les Gravieres’ 1er Cru: Vine age is up around 70 years here and you feel the old vine sap in the wine. It is tight, dense and perfumed. There’s a subtle whiff of rose petal and some dark, rich black fruits. It is a wine of power and grace and is absolutely superb.

2012 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay ‘Gravite’: According to Jean-Marc "the cuvee “Gravitee” is a selection made in the oldest plots of land of the domain (almost 70 years of age), with each plant producing no more than 200gm of grape (a yield of 15Hl / ha). We select the best terroir in red in Santenay, constituted by a particular layer of soil from the geological age of “Average Jurassic”. These terroirs are rare in the “Cote de Beaune” and met usually only in the “Côte de Nuits”, in villages like Gevrey-Chambertin or Vosne-Romanée. The wine is very rich with some wood spice showing. It is dense and creamy, loaded with black fruits and possessing incredible length. Needs a lot of time.

2008 Jean-Marc Vincent Puligny-Montrachet Corvée des Vignes: Quite youthful with some white peach and white flower notes. Good finesse and a big citrus whip from the acidity frying off the finish.

2003 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay ‘Les Gravieres’ 1er Cru: Has some roasted notes on the nose along with dried flowers and blood plum. Sweet and dense but tannins are a little gritty like many 03’s.

Disclaimer: We import the Jean-Marc Vincent wines into Australia.

Last year Manresa was serving the 2011 JM Vincent Beaurepaire (Blanc) as one of their wine pairings. I loved it. I don’t think it’s cheap for Santenay but it’s a really impressive wine.

She should count herself lucky he was not struck by a gas truck… [rofl.gif]

Great stuff, Jeremy. Please keep the updates coming so we can live vicariously!!!

Cheers,
Blair

I hear the Freedom Frites are quite nice.

Finally got to meet board member Yaacov Barselah and his partner Lori yesterday at Domaine Dujac. We had a great tasting of the 2013’s with Jeremy Seysses and reconvened later that evening at Jeremy and Diana’s for a meal. Jeremy served us the most wonderful dish of slow cooked pork shoulder from a pig that he raised lovingly himself and then slaughtered with no emotion.

It was a really fun evening with plenty of laughs and quite a few options wines. Jeremy and Diana’s 7 year old son Aubert was pouring wine from Magnum whilst on inline skates at some stage.

The 2006 Dujac Morey St.Denis ‘Monts Luissants’ 1er Cru Blanc was delivered from magnum by’ jeune homme’ en roller blades. It was fresh as a trout with rich orchard fruits. It was dense and fleshy with very little development and a kiss of fresh acidity to the finish. A 1969 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux Grand Cru was Jacques’ first vintage and he may as well have quit right there and then. What a wine. Engaging floral spice smelling of decaying roses, root vegetables, smoke and sweet earth. It has some beef stock action and is fine and lacy with a sweet core of fruit. There is terrific detail and length is superb. It just so happened that I had a 1969 Charles Noellat Richebourg Grand Cru to serve next to the Ech. It wasn’t in quite as good a nick but was excellent none the less. There were some dark fruits, licorice, a little coffee and some brown sugar. It had vinous sweetness and reasonable depth. Jeremy decided a little Northern Rhone ‘wedgie’ was in order around about now. A 1976 J-L Chave Hermitage smelt of sweaty saddle and the horse underneath it. It was a lot more bretty than a splendid bottle of this I had last year but was enjoyable with its savoury/earthy personality. A 1975 Jaboulet ‘La Chapelle’ Hermiatge was smokin’. It had plenty of liniment to the nose along with leather, earth and cassis. It had a sweet heart of cassis and plenty of savoury nuance. It was still very fresh and possessed excellent balance. Back to the Cote d’Or with an outstanding bottle of 1993 Dujac Clos de la Roche Grand Cru. Huge smoky lift to the aroma. Some rose petal notes and plenty of blue and black fruits. Very fresh on the palate with intense fruit flavours and plenty of earth. The finish has the grip of the year and length is outstanding. Next up a couple of Beaune wines next to each other. Only 51 years separated these two beauts. The 1978 Baby Jesus was in great form. It had a nose of sweet meats, earth, red fruits and forest floor. It was sweet and vinous in the mouth with excellent depth of flavor and good complexity. It still has good structure and persistence was very good. I didn’t catch all of the details on a 1927 Hospice de Beaune Beaune raised by Ropiteau (perhaps Jeremy will chime in), but it was very good. The nose was a little cheesy and it had some truffle, moss, black earth and sweet meat aromas. It actually seemed to gain depth in the glass, even after a 7 hour ‘Audouze’. It had some acidity just sitting off the rest of the wine’s components but was delicious none the less.

We finished with a Barolo Chinato, for digestive purposes only. It was just on the right side of midnight when we left and the cab ride back to Meursault was entertaining, with Colin in grand form. We stopped via Beaune and poured Yaacov and Lori into the cold night air.

Man when you guys get on a trip, you don’t do it half-hearted. Wow, impressive program.

Alain

Great stuff Jeremy. Pleased to see that the ABM (average bottles per man) sits above the plimsoll line.
Some lovely wines…seems that you are making use of Anthony’s cellar ?

you should weigh 400 pounds. Wow. The Jeremys (or is that Jeremies) do it right.

Still trying to break into Anthony’s cellar Kent. I have bypassed the alarm, now I just have to pick the lock.

Jeremy is a very bad influence on me Alan.

Terrific lunch with Yaacov and Lori at Le Millesime in Chambolle. Food is modern but still soulful. Wine list is well priced and full of gems.

2010 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis ‘Les Clos’ Grand Cru: Expressive aromatics of orange blossom, iodine, lemon and slate. So dense and powerful in the mouth, invading every crevice with delicious citrus flavour. It has great line and sharp cut to the finish.

2011 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet ‘Les Ruchottes’ 1er Cru: Should be a Grand Cru. Has the Ramonet mint thing going on. Dense, sappy peach fruits cut by minerals. Great shape and texture. Serious drive and outstanding length.

2010 G.Roumier Chambolle-Musigny ‘Les Cras’ 1er Cru. Beautiful nose of purple flowers, cherries, earth and mineral. It has so much flesh overlaying serious minerally structure. There’s a light creaminess to the fruit but the clarity of the wine is superb. Awesome balance and should be a hell of a wine in a couple of decades. In fact it is a hell of a wine now.

Sounds like the trip is off to a flying start. I hope you have nice weather in Burgundy.

1 Like

Thanks Don. The North wind has subsided and the sun is out. All good.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Enjoy, but pease leave a few bottles behind for the rest of us.

Amazing notes. Thanks for sharing.

Just picked up a few bottles of 1971 Domaine Potinet-Ampeau Meursault from Mon Millésime . What a terrific aged white Burg. It is complex with biscuit, brioche notes coupled with some white mushroom, apricot and almond. It is still lively in the mouth with orchard fruit flavours and plenty of savoury nuance. It finishes with a kiss of mineral acidity and some fruit rind bitterness.

that roumier cras was singing!!!

hanging out with you, colin and heidi/holly was the highlight of our trip…

that 78 baby jesus and the 69 dujac ech were profound bottles for me.

safe travels.

A sneak preview of a 2015 Dujac. Meaty, spicy, rich and deep. Great length of flavor. Absolutely superb!
1.jpg

Giving the wood fired oven a workout Chez Hall.
DSC_8734.jpg
DSC_8741.jpg

Whole cluster I presume.