I still really like France

We can ping. We can pong. Just get in touch whilst your schedule is fungible.

Will do. I am quite a technological ignoramus Eric so I may even send you a telegram before heading over to your neck of the woods.

That will work, but email is easier. eric@cellartracker.com :slight_smile:

probably because you’ve eaten all the pigeons, Jeremy. An excellent match for Burgundy.

I was thinking about using a ‘carrier Ortolan’ Alan.

A slice of very good quiche. A green salad and an outstanding bottle of aged Chablis.

1987 J.Moreau & Fils Chablis 'Les Clos Grand Cru: Superb aged Chablis. Has some butter and mushroom development along with orange blossom and citrus fruit characters. It is complex with plenty going on in the mouth and on the nose. It has plenty of minerality and is full and mouth filling with great energy to the finish.

A fresh fillet of Cabillaud, pan fried in a shite load of butter. Just the thing with a spanky Corton-Charlemagne.

2009 Henri Boillot Corton-Charlemagne: Superb wine. Has a big sulphurous whiff that envelops the nostrils upon first sniff. There’s also some nougat notes from the oak and dense, sappy orchard fruits. There’s generosity from the vintage and line from the vineyard and it has such great shape coupled with outstanding posture. Length is fabulous and laden with minerally things.

If you like France , then you will love Belgium , especially the north :slight_smile: . Come over some time , we will organize a real Belgian tasting !

Keep posting these wonderful pictures and stories, Jeremy! France and California are my two favorite countries in the world, and naturally, I’ve traveled to both more than any other place in the world. Culture, art, wine, food, natural beauty, cycling and so on. Unparalleled.

[welldone.gif]

+1
Jeremy, I look forward to the rest of the notes. We still haven’t made the trip you and I talked about. And you are always welcome here on your next visit to the states.

Thanks Herwig. I suspect I would love Belgium. particularly with you as a guide.

Cheers Robert and Scott.

Best Regards
Jeremy

A couple of red Burgs from structured vintages:

1995 Jean Gros Vosne-Romanee: Quite a lot of meat and earth on the nose along with some ginger spice. It is a wine that has the structural elements of the vintage clamping down on the fruit a bit. The finish is quite tart with a big lick of minerals. This is firm, muscular Vosne that I doubt will ever be overly generous.

1998 Pierre Bouzereau-Emonin Beaune 1er Cru Pertuisots: Generosity underpinned by structure. Has some truffley notes sneaking into the aroma and flavor profile. It is red fruited with a shot of espresso. We move from coffee to tea when we talk tannins. It has the dryness of tea leaf tannins.

Had a most pleasant lunch at L’Essential in Dauville. Chef is Parisian and has cooked at Ze Kitchen Gallerie and Joel Robuchon previously. Food has some Asian influence. A couple of very tasty wines:

2007 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis ‘La Foret’ 1er Cru: It had the heady scent of orange blossom. There were some sea spray attributes, or perhaps that was just the spray from the sea that had battered my face during a run along the beach earlier. It was full of citrus fruits flavor and the finish was decidedly salty. Great focus and detail. Accompanying amuse of crème fraiche with radish worked well with the wine.

2012 Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph: Called up just to wash the cheese down with. It had a smell of liniment coupled with meat, berries, stalks and pepper. It was full in the mouth with good flesh and plenty of savoury nuance. Length was excellent. Fromage was quite simply, simply the best Pont L’Eveque we have eaten. Chef sources it from a small local cheesemaker who uses only the milk from his cows. Superb! It came with an intense block of candied apple and a most pleasant salad of rocket dressed with sesame.
DSC_8248.jpg

Well done! I can’t wait to get back. [welldone.gif]

Sounds great Jeremy. Keep 'em coming!

Drove from Normandy to Burgundy with two pit stops. Firstly Giverny to take in Monet’s garden. It is nice but overrun with tourists and the garden is best viewed through Monet’s paintings. The second stop was to that place that shall remain unnamed, with the ridiculously low prices on Burgundy. Monsieur host was a little shitty with me as we were late for our luncheon appointment and wouldn’t sell me a 2005 Roumier Amoureuses. We ended up drinking:

2005 Coche-Dury Meursault Les Chevalières: Dense, rich, sappy and powerful. Crammed with orchard fruits and has a hint of citrus blossom. There is a slight dank mushroom note that I thought was tca. After it was open an hour it certainly was tca. Only very faint but enough to well and truly piss you off.

2006 Domaine de la RomanĂŠe-Conti Vosne-RomanĂŠe 1er Cru CuvĂŠe Duvault-Blochet: Classy Burg without a hair out of place. The aroma and flavour profile is cherry personified, pulp and stone. It is cool, rocky and detailed. There are ethereal floral notes and the palate is plush velvet. It fans out off the finish and is such a delicious drink now yet with plenty still in the tank.

we were at Giverny on a day with very few tourists and loved the water gardens, though the gardens behind the home were contrived and evidently different from how they were in Monet’s time.

And what was that restaurant’s name again?

many years ago from this place;

I’ve forgotten the name of that restaurant Alan.

Lovely pics Roman.

Now shacked up at Chez Hall http://www.burgundyman.com Hit the Chagny markets yesterday and bought a Bresse Hen. Cousin Lucy and Colin arrived last night and we cranked up a few seriously good bottles to accompany the roasted bird.

1977 Jean Mâcle Château-Chalon: Very nutty with some iodine notes as well. Fantastic with a piece of Comte, which brings out fruit sweetness in the wine and compliments the nuttiness most amiably.

2013 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Bâtard-Montrachet: So much exotic fruit greets you on the nose. You get rockmelon, paw paw, pineapple and guava. There’s a suggestion of anise and some vanilla as well. It is full and fruity in the mouth with good shape and volume and a kiss of minerality punctuating the long finish.

2009 Château de Puligny-Montrachet Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Tightly bound up by its sulphur. A big whiff of struck match fills the nostrils. It has some citrus blossom and white peach notes as well. It is full in the mouth with a fruit sweet heart and good minerally line. The finish is dusted with chalk and length is impressive.

1934 Terrand Grands-Echezeaux: Remarkable, ethereal old Burg that still delivers a lot of pleasure. Truly tertiary with notes of moss, antique furniture, leather, spice, truffle, curry leaf and bitter chocolate. It is full in the mouth with a delicious vinous sweetness. The texture, like with many of these 60+ year old Burgs, is a bit slippery like an oyster and it has a lick of salt to the finish.

1982 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Ursules Domaine des HĂŠritiers Louis Jadot: Just the most gorgeous nose of wild strawberries, raspberries and forest floor. It is fine and lacy in the mouth where berry fruit flavours continue as well as a little meat and earth. It is only mid-weight but perfectly proportioned and in that beautiful place somewhere between sweet and savoury.

1988 Domaine Michel Voarick Corton-Renardes: Very savoury nose of pine needle sap, earth, iron and fresh meat. It is a direct and forceful wine with plenty of grunt. There is some sweet dark fruits matching it with all of the savoury elements. The finish is chewy and it is really persistent. It is drinking well but still a decade or so from its apogee I suspect.
DSC_8391.jpg
DSC_8399.jpg