How Important Is Tertiary Development To You?

The seed for this thread was based on Roy Piper’s opinion that most California Cabernets are best enjoyed within the first 10 years. Ten years is generally the starting point for me with California Cabernet Sauvignon.

You are basically a joyless human being, aren’t you?

I’m surprised that so many people couldn’t get a general vibe from your questions.

It’s starting to sound like some deranged Thanksgiving party where some people are just looking for an excuse to be disagreeable.

Maybe some people are taking this class for credit, and others are simply auditing. champagne.gif

As I said in a recent post, it’s the usual suspects. I could say the sun is shining and some of them would demand that I define this sun to which I am referring.

Sarcasm aside, it’s based on mood. Sometimes I like onions raw because they’re assertive, spicy and have crunch. Sometimes I like them caramelized because they’re soft, rich and sweet. Sometimes I like a wine at 2-3 years old and sometimes I like the same wine at 20-30 years old. They’re different experiences and I see no reason why I should limit myself primarily to one or the other.

With all due respect, how many times have you enjoyed the same wine at 2-3 years old and also at 20-30 years old? My guess would be not very often. Is this a theoretical exercise for you?

Sorry but have you never put down a couple of cases and enjoyed the wine over the years. If you have not - wow - you are missing the point.

And you complain about your treatment by the usual suspects. IMO that’s a pretty condescending troll statement Michael.

I’m not complaining about anything; just stating fact. If I remember correctly, Rachel is on the youngish side. So unless she has very deep pockets, or generous friends with very deep pockets or cellars, I would be surprised if she is drinking very many 20-30 year old wines, whether or not she had the same wine at 2-3 years old.

I might sometimes have a 2-3 year old Dunn or Spottswoode, and the next day might have a 20-30 year old bottle of the “same wine.”

Otherwise, you need to be a time traveller or have perfect palate recall, no?

Cheers

There is a subtext to this thread that I am not privy to.

Are you guys foes?

Quite to the contrary. I’ve always enjoyed and have at times been complimentary of Rachel’s contributions.

I agree. Completely uncalled for on Michael’s part. Then the “explanation” is just as bad. I don’t have “deep pockets” by most people’s standards, but I’ve had enough 20-30 year old wines to know how much I like them compared to young wines from the same producers or categories. It’s ridiculous to be so condescending, especially having almost no knowledge of Rachel’s drinking habits or experiences. This is exactly the type of thing you’ve complained many times and quite vocally about other people doing to you. How hypocritical. It certainly isn’t going to encourage people to take part in this thread, except maybe in this way.

One of the usual suspects.

OK, I will admit to a small amount of hyperbole. But I have had a lot of wines at 2-3 and the same wine at about 15 and some of them I expect to drink again when they’re 20+ (the advantages of growing up with parents who collect wine). I also have had a ton of wines from a single producer at different ages (where the 2-3 and 20-30 would apply), so this isn’t theoretical. Based on my experience, I’d still say I can’t definitively say I prefer completely mature to younger wine. They are different experiences where the wine’s greatness shows in different ways at different ages.

Not that I’m aware of.

Yes, Rachel is 30. And while there are others with deeper pockets, I can’t complain about the depth of my own pockets. And yes, I have drunk a fair amount of older wines courtesy of my parents and some friends.

another douche statement from Michael. If you continue with the attitude you have shown in this thread, the usual suspect list will grow exponentially.

It is disappointing to see that someone who voiced her opinion is met with a smarmy remark, from the person who invited the opinions in the first place, and forced to justify her drinking experience with respect to age and income/wealth.

Then again, what do I know? I am only 34 and Michael has not had the opportunity to evaluate my income to determine whether I have “deep pockets,” so perhaps my thoughts on the topic are merely a “theoretical exercise”.

Comments like Michael’s, on a thread where he invited the very opinions that he so quickly dismisses, brings to mind the occasional thread that asks why more people don’t post. Responses like Michael’s provide at least one possible answer.

Rachel, thanks for your opinion.

Mr. Brunson: You have added nothing of substance to this thread. Why should I give a damn what you or your ilk think about me or anything else for that matter? Trust me, I don’t.