Help with river or ocean cruise.

2 of my sisters talked my wife and I into an 11 day cruise on Celebrity Reflection from Rome to Greece, Istanbul, Naples and back to Rome. We have been anti cruise forever but am willing to give it a try. We got what looks like a smoking deal - 11 nights in the Aqua room (same floor as spa, own private spa restaurant Blu (little healthier than most hopefully), decent size room with veranda and little bigger bathroom for $1500 each.

Boat looks like a beast - 3000 people plus 1500 crew, 1000 feet long, 3 pools, 12 restaurants…I was doing the math on size. 1000’ long x 130 feet wide x 16 floors = approx. 2,000,000 sq.ft. counting all decks, behind the scenes floors, etc. That is rather large!

Reviews sound promising though, boat is supposed to be laid out so it never seems that big. Im actually pretty excited to not have to pack/unpack and visit some of the ports that I have never see. Anybody ever done this cruise or familiar with this boat/company?

We’ve done a couple of Celebrity cruises, and had good luck with them. $1,500 for 11 nights in Europe on the Aqua floor sounds like a steal!

It has been a few years but we also did a Celebrity cruise, 14 nights in the Baltic. Fascinating trip. Went places and saw things I would never have seen otherwise. And that is a smoking deal.

The river cruises are the long skinny ones and the ocean cruises are the big wide open ones. And they serve you a lot of food on both. I hope this helps

I made a comment to my wife last night about this thread, and she recommended this site. We have not used it, but she knows several people who have. http://www.vacationstogo.com/

Have you looked at the National Geographic trips? This is the one I dream of doing:

There is no way in hell you would get me on a ship with 5000 other people [wow.gif]

I’ve had the same reaction Alan but looking at some of the river cruises, there are ones that look nice with just 100 or so guests … more appealing.

@Paul - thank your wife - that link is giving me a few ideas!

This site has some useful information and reviews of almost every imaginable cruise line and cruise ship.

This site might also be of interest if you want to get competitive offers on the cruise you select. You do have to be careful and understand what the agencies are offering. Many of them are pricing “cruise only” so you have to make sure you get the quote you really want.

We are going to the Galapagos and Macchu Pichu with National Geographic this November. It will be our first trip with this company. Very excited!

Cheers!
Marshall

I know! Waiting to hear about your trip

Viking “Taste of Southern France”.

Start in Arles and up the Rhone to Beaune
Great views super service and chances for a few wine tours in CDP, Hermitage and Beaune

I quickly scanned this thread so apologies if this has been answered. Recently in flight I saw an advert for a euro river cruise line. “Scenic Cruises” or something along those lines. It appears to be 5 star across the board.

Admittedly, I’ve never been on a cruise. Intimate or floating city… None. No experience to draw upon. I have zero interest in the latter so was wondering if the river cruise is worthy?

I’ve been through most of Europe but imagine cruising may lend a different perspective.

So Celebrity has a couple booze plans - $49 a day for basic crap and $59 a day for a little better, both all you can drink up to 15 a day. 11 days x $59 x 2 = no freaking way I am paying that much. Anybody have any hot tips for getting booze on board for our room? Couple cocktails before dinner in room, maybe a glass or 2 of vino with dinner would work fine. Will eat/drink off ship whenever possible.

I heard we are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per room on board. Thinking get 2 screw top bottles, guzzle, fill with vodka and reseal. That would go a long way. Or how about if we pick up bottles of wine at different ports - do they let you bring on board?

Or
unnamed-3.jpg

I loved my last cruise voyage through the Island of New England via Blount Small Ship Adventures. Even though I had done many cruises before in large one’s, this was something special and a unique experience for me. The views of the Islands along with the pleasure of getting into the coast were really exciting and untiring.

We are doing a Ama wine France River Cruise in March…

http://www.amawaterways.com/wine-cruises-specialOffers

Finished the 24 day Cape Town to Buenos Aires on 22 December. Great cruise. A couple of the sea days had swells of 3/4 meters but other than walking around like you are drunk most people had no issues. The Oceania Marina holds 1250 passengers so it is in the lower mid-sized range nowadays but it is large enough to be comfortable in the swells we encountered.

Next cruise is a short one - 11 days around the British Isles on the same ship. London, Edinburg, Belfast, Dublin, Liverpool, Cork etc. Other than visiting London, we have never seen the other areas of the Isles.

In 2017 back to a longer one - 39 days Singapore to Rome on a smaller ship, the Oceania Insignia (about 680 passengers).

Can you tell, we love cruising?

Not a conventional cruise, but the way we did our honeymoon in Burgundy. Super fun and you can dock just about anywhere. We didn’t have boating experience and didn’t speak French, and had absolutely no problems. See a village you like, you dock the boat and check it out.

Cool concept. I have seen these boats in the canals of France. What an amazing idea for a honeymoon. I was not nearly so creative.

The most challenging part were the locks, but you get used to them quickly. I’d do it again in a heart beat.

Alan: I meant to answer earlier but it just slipped my mind. The trip was amazing! I will say that National Geographic uses the term “expedition” and they mean it! If people are solely used to Regent, Seabourn, etc, then this may not be for them. The rooms are functional and the food is local, ample and quite good. What you are paying for is the locale, day excursions, and amazing guides. I am thrilled that we made this trip but I would recommend that people do this type of trip when they are physically able and not wait too long. We were exhausted by the end of the trip but I couldn’t have been happier. The second part of the trip to Macchu Pichu was amazing as well…it was still an expedition and trek but the hotels that were provided were all incredible.

Again, highly recommended but definitely not for the faint of heart!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]