Has There Ever Been A 100 Point Champagne?

For me, all of these are possible 100’s when the bottle is on: 88 Krug Mesnil. 69 DP, 69 DP Oeno, 69 DP P3 (you can see I like DP’s 69’s). 96 Krug Mesnil. And for me, 90 Selosse is up there.

I’ve only had 1 lucky Crack at the 69 dom…but cool to hear I’m not alone at calling it a 100 pointer. Just an incredible bottle of wine that I can still taste nearly 2 weeks later.

75 Dom Oeno at The Abbaye Saint-Pierre d’Hautvillers with Richard Geoffrey

90 Dom Perignon hit 100 on my scale. That was a long time ago thoughts. Drank my last many years ago. Anyone have a current reference on the wine?

Regards,
Andy Kei!!or

water would score 100 there.

I gave 1988 Krug a “97” once, ahead of other stellar wines on the night. Definitely a candidate for 100, though I was leaving the door open for experiencing an even better champagne at some point, or for the 1988 to get even just a little better :slight_smile:

Would love to hear a recent note on this one as well. Have 1 in the cellar and wasn’t planning on drinking it for a long time…but I’m easily persuaded when it comes to opening good wine.

If I had one 750ml, I’d drink it. Mags are still showing strong, and maybe even improving, but bottles have been a touch tired. Drink up! And buy a few 2002 DP, both for current drinking and long term. Probably the best “value” along the DP price curve.

[welldone.gif] [winner.gif] Great line. I will have to use it sometime.

Gotcha, thanks for the feedback Brad! Sounds like I might have to snag that one from my off-site (like I said…easily persuaded :slight_smile:

And I agree about the 02. Great wine and I have a couple in the cellar as we speak.

Given 100pts by my taste buds

2002 Billecart Salmon Cuvee NIcolas Francois - best champagne I have ever had
2002 Dom Perignon Rose

1990 CdM Krug

Badoit is a consistent 100-pointer for me.

Deutz 1996 Cuvee William, a slight nod over 1996 Pol Roger Winston Churchill, yet both the most firmly greatest Champagnes in my experience. 100 points seem hardly high enough. Both enjoyed from ml750 November 2015. Small never ending bubbles carry a balance of yeast and toast base notes melded with candied Bergamot and Menton lemon, followed by glycerine to yield a near 2 minute finish.

Gotta save some points for Chateldon Keith.

+100

my standout champagnes. best part? all were enjoyed with folks from this community.

1959 Pol Roger Champagne Brut Vintage
1981 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil
1988 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Rosé Oenothèque
1995 Jacques Selosse Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Millésimé

88’ Krug cdm. Lucky to have several pours at auction tasting. Haunted ever since

1985 and 1983 Heidsieck Cuvée Charlie rank right up there, certainly high 90’s (the '85 is a perfect round peg to my mouth hole).
1988 Salon was stupendous and nearly perfect

Lots of others have been “wow” wines but I don’t think I’ve ever had a champagne where I’ve said that’s it, that’s the apogee, that’s as good as it can get.

My best champagne ever was a NV ‘Veuve Grenier’ Henecky’s Private Reserve; '45 base vintage with an estimated 12-14 g dosage. Henecky’s was a London wine merchant until the mid 1970s when it closed down. The wine was of a different world…

After that I’d say Krug '90, DP '85, and Moët '66 are all up there (I often actually prefer the straight Moët to DP in older vintages) but, though they were truly excellent, they still left me wanting in a few very minor areas.