Has anyone tried the Saran-wrap method for poaching eggs?

And by then, we’ll all be dead.

Well, at least the majority of you. neener

• Same as if you do them the usual way, you don’t bring the temperature to a boil here. You cook them at 70-80°C and that’s enough anyway. So the risk with plastic contamination is pretty low I’d say.

• Traditional way is good but if you have 6 guests and need to do eggs for all, I’m betting this method is way easier and faster. I believe that’s how it came up originally.

Alain

Grill Mat - (similar heat/plastic deal (or whatever the material is))

http://www.asseenontv.com/miracle-grill-mat/detail.php?p=706970

How much Thalates can leach out? it is a smaller concern for me than a non-stick pan, and since this would be a once in a while thing, I’d think it ok… cool idea, and could be very cool to do this in the Sous Vide for a different texture.

I poached some eggs this morning easy peasy with some vinegar in the water. Dealing with saran wrap would be a pita IMHO and more time consuming for not much better results.

Why wouldn’t you just do a sous vide egg cooked in it’s shell? too easy?

I’ve gone the SV route when making a bunch of poached eggs. Looked up the serious eats timing and temp for prepping for poaching. Set the firm white but not the runny white. Then separated the yolk/firm white while getting rid of the loose white. Then into near boiling water to firm up the white and heat up the yolk. It is a bit of work but makes doing 12 poached eggs for a salad course much easier moments before service.