Has anyone tried the Saran-wrap method for poaching eggs?

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Probably no worse than what comes off non stick pans.

Don’t use those either, for the same reason.

I read online that food grade plastic wrap is fine in boiling water. And if it’s online, it has to be true.

Plus, ummmm, sous vide? Just saying.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about sous vide too, but haven’t looked into it (and IIRC its at lower temperatures, below boiling so less stuff would come out).

I tried it a while back and thought it a much larger mess than cracking an egg into the water or cracking into a small dish and slipping it into the water from the dish. Plus much more time consuming.

How many more minutes are we talking about here? [pwn.gif]

Looks like an interesting approach. I agree with GEorge, though. It’s over-engineered and more complicated than just poaching old school. Also, didn’t appear that the yolk was enveloped in white. Looked more like a sunnyside up egg that was cooked in plastic wrap and turned upside down on the plate. If one was to use this method for benedicts, I think additional care would be needed to avoid breaking the yolk when dumping the egg out of the plastic wrap.

Kenji’s method, really Heston Blumenthal’s, works for me - Easy Poached Eggs Recipe

This is what I do. The key part, IMO, is to keep the eggs moving. So even if you don’t use the strainer, you’ll still get a good enough finished product by gentle moving the eggs around.

Also use the Serious Eats approach (though sometimes omit the straining part because it seems like this sometimes removes more of the white than necessary). Creating a mini whirlpool in the pan does seem to make adding an acid to the water unnecessary

Tried this Saran wrap approach last week. It actually worked pretty well with a few caveats:

1. For me it took 3 minutes 45 seconds vs. 3 minutes (not a big deal and I can imagine actual time required is affected by a whole host of things)
  2. The egg yolk was not fully encapsulated within the whites as one posted mentioned. I didn’t see this as a problem but the yolk could break more easily. And, without the yolk encapsulated in the white, chilling the poached egg and then trying to reheat in hot water was not as successful (yolk broke)

It is a little more time consuming than your basic poaching method. BUT, I could imagine that for someone who doesn’t cook and for whatever reason doesn’t feel like they can get the hang of poaching, this is a brainless solution that produces good and pretty consistent results.

Going to set my wife on this approach and see what she thinks. She is a non-cook, loves poached eggs, but never makes them herself because she doesn’t feel like she would be able to do it well enough.

Dihydrogen oxide. Hundreds of people die annually from ingesting the stuff.

Boiling water, touch of white vinegar, drop in egg … why overcomplicate?

And I like the slight tang from the vinegar.

Yeah, on second thought, why worry? And I’ve got a great recipe for Saran Wrap salad…

That’s exactly what I was thinking.[/quote]
Dihydrogen oxide. Hundreds of people die annually from ingesting the stuff.[/quote]

Yeah, on second thought, why worry? And I’ve got a great recipe for Saran Wrap salad…[/quote]

I don’t trust Saran Wrap exposed to steam or heat…

On some of these cooking showing, they put a layer of saran before the tin foil to cook meats long and slow in the oven…and I shudder about what’s dropping into the mix from the saran.

No thanks on this method.

Those boil-in bags or roast-in bags do seem suspect. I do not need or use them.

Frankly, the whole sous-vide cooking thing scares me a bit, too. In fact, so does keeping stuff in sous vide, as I do, for long periods. The machine I have works great. I assume until the plastic is heated in simmering water, nothing leeches out, but…

Lots of things to be concerned with in modern life, I guess…most of them “conveniences”.

My father, who was born in the early 1900’s…lived at least half of his life with “organic” foods and none of this stuff. I have to think that, in addition to good genes (which seem to be a trait in his family), that contributed.

But, heat and plastic…concern me.

Takeaway from above are that foodsaver bags and saran wrap seem to be safe but less expensive plastic wraps are not.

If you…or anyone…looks at the video on the OP here…it calls for “locally sourced organic plastic wrap”…I read that at first and had good chuckle.

I don’t trust any of this stuff…but have a friend who is a chemical engineering PHD and worked in the plastics industry. I’ll check with him…but…I’m not looking to test the claims.

Of course one problem here is possible long-term effects. We generally don’t find out about those for many years.