Guys' Night at My Place

My wife was vacationing with her sisters, so I decided have the guys over for some food and wine. For food, we started with fresh homemade bread, shrimp, caviar, cheese, tuna otoro, uni and deviled eggs. The main course was a 5 rib, prime grade rib roast. No wine theme (although always lots of Champagne at my place), and everyone was generous with what they brought. All the Champagnes were great except for the '15 Cristal, which I think was just ok. My favorite reds were the '82 Lynch Bages and '69 Sterling. It was fun evening with great friends, food and wine.

14 Likes

Wow, sounds/looks like an awesome night! And i bet that Sterling was incredible! I had a 75 last year that was amazing. Gotta love those old Ric Forman cabs! :cheers:

1 Like

How did the Diamond Creek show?

2 Likes

P.s. How many dudes did you have over? Solid amount of wine opened up, ha!

BerserkerBets has the o/u at 6….

Barry had brought the '73 and '69 to my house a few months ago and we drank the '73 that night and it was outstanding then. We decided to save the '69 for the next event at my place and this was another killer bottle.

I hate to say, but I never got to it. Someone else should who was there should be able to chime in.

We were actually 12 dudes and 2 ladies. We had one corked bottle ('96 Margaux :sob:) and a few bottles that were DOA, but it seemed to be just about the right amount.

1 Like

It was ok. Nothing special. Kind of generic.

2 Likes

Thanks for hosting!! The Margaux was ‘86. The only other dead bottles were the 69 Pousse d’Or and the 45 Leoville Las Cases so the wine gods were kind to us.

1 Like

How did the 86 Talbot show compared to the other Bordeaux?

We were lucky that night. The only downside was we forgot to hit the pool table to kick Ian’s butt again.

I found it sweet and tannic, like I usually do.

1 Like

Interesting. Had the 13 Three Vineyard blend years ago and it was really good. Sounds like its shut down.