Flank Steak - What's your favorite marinade?

That!

Red Wine
Worcestershire Sauce
Olive Oil
Fresh Black Pepper
Sea Salt

That’s my standard, with the addition of garlic.

Just looking for inspiration to try something new.

yes. Use Heartbrand Wagyu flanks.

I almost never marinade meat for the grill. Korean ribs is an exception.

The below is a staple. Also, a good soy/ginger marinade works well.

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grill seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ground chipotle chili powder or ground cumin (Cumin is my go-to, others as change-ups)
2 teaspoon hot sauce - eyeball it
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 splashes
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

For one flank steak, marinate over night:

¾ cup vegetable oil

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup honey

2 Tablespoons each vinegar and green onions

1 large clove garlic, minced

1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger

That’s most of what I do for skirt steak as well, though I add some Soy sauce, a little crushed garlic, salt/pepper. Not sure it really makes much difference how long you leave it, I generally just do it a few hours in advance.

Alan – this is what I do, but generally only 24 hours. Really good.

Do this too, but I like the Wishbone Italian dressing more.

used to do one day but once forgot the steak for a couple days and it was so much better that it became our routine.

alan weiberg wrote:

3 days in fridge. Steak marinates in a bottle of Wishbone Italian dressing. Never fails to amaze, shockingly enough

My mom used to use Wishbone Italian Dressing on Cornish Game Hens. Poured it on and baked in the oven at 350. Always tasty!

Thanks,
Ed

Fish sauce:

I rarely if ever marinate meat if it’s of any decent quality. I hate eating prime beef at korean restaurant’s that are marinated. Big no no for me

Soy sauce, olive oil, honey, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.

Generally speaking I prefer skirt over flank, but I like both grilled over a wood fire. My favorite marinade is a thai style (crying tiger). I am skeptical about the wishbone but I will try it.

beyond flavor enhancement, having your butcher run a single pass through their tenderizer has a dramatic effect on the texture of flank. You can also buy a Jaccard if you’re preparing game or like DIY. an excellent value at $18 http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6

It’s fine on your salad (maybe not gourmet, but perfectly decent quality). Essentially you’re just using the oil and vinegar, and whatever spices and flavors there are. And most of it get wiped off or drips off before grilling. Maybe not the most “purist” approach, but perfectly acceptable, and super easy.

beer
olive oil
red wine vinegar
cilantro
garlic
onion
orange peel
paprika
cumin
coriander
salt
jalapeno jelly

If not marinating, salt/pepper/oil, medium rare.

For skirt I prefer on a wood fire.
image.jpg