Farmhouse or Saison ale recs

I haven’t gotten around to trying anything from Mystic yet.

I saw the name Fantome upthread, and I will just say that those are some of the weirdest beers I’ve ever had. I don’t think they really fit into any category, and I don’t buy them.

I recently had a Saison from Hill Farmstead (forget the name) that was amazing, but I guess I shouldn’t do anything that might build up demand for their stuff beyond what it is. I think distribution is basically nonexistent anyway.

I don’t get to see most of those mentioned, but I fully endorse the Stillwater recommendations. I like that the Classique is available in cans too. I got to try several of the range when Brian was in Melbourne back in May, and I’ve tried a couple of the collabs that he did with local brewers that have been good as well.

[welldone.gif]

Maybe, but this is a thread about farmhouse/saison beers, not sour beers.

Yup, happy to have a different thread on sours even though we’ve brought them in. But I consider them a different category as well.

In different news Stillwater is awesome. Some are quite low in alc with a corresponding hard edge, but their aromas and profile are worth it alone. Fun stuff.

This didn’t get a ton of action but there is this thread. Weekly Beer Focus Saison 2/25-3/3 - Beer and Spirits - WineBerserkers

BTW, we should start the “weekly beer focus” again. Some new folks participating in this sub forum now.

Jason

Nothing that hasn’t been mentioned really.

Dupont is masterful w/ regular Dupont, Foret (organic), and Cuvee Dry Hopping.
Logsdon is amazing.
Upright too. Try Fatali Four. (sour saison w/ fatali peppers)
Boulevard w/ Tank 7 and Bretta.
Green Flash Saison Diego.
Fantome is mixed. I have had great bottles (especially Printemps), and terrible bottles. Storage might be key w/ Fantome.
Societe’s The Gleaner is very good, but draft only.
Had high hopes for Firestone’s Opal, but haven’t been impressed. Not enough funk.

Tried Commons tonight. The dry hoped farmhouse. Fun drink but ultimately nothing special. Will try their Urban Farmhouse next.
The Stillwater wheat with sage from 12 oz is ok but not at the level of their serious bottles.

Had a saison from Holy Mountain, a new Seattle brewery. More sour than fruity, but interesting nonetheless. Also had on draft the Logsdon Oak Aged Seizon. Not as special as the Seizon Bretta, but very good drink.

Monkish Hem&Haw is ok, Beachwood’s saison tasted like Duvel and was not really that good.

No new brews. While it seems relatively easy to find beers at retail it seems much tougher in bars/restaurants. Often there are no choices and if lucky just one.

Saisons are one of the few beer styles that thrives just as well in bottle as on draft, so it’s easier for bottle shops to represent a diversity of producers. Not every bar wants to sacrifice one of their 6-8 high turnover IPA slots for a Saison, which may still not have the recognition from the general public…yet.

Lots of great VA based Saisons consumed recently if any of you West Coasters come across their names in trades; Lickinghole Creek (Estate Rosemary is dynamite IMHO), Adroit Theory (weird, rare, and pricey, but very good) to name a few in bottle, lots more options on draft in one-outs; Three Notch’d Wet Hopped and Wild (wild yeasts cultivated from peaches and blueberries off a nearby berry farm) particularly yummy from the other day.

In Houston for work and tried the Stone Saison from bottle. Never tried this before. Terrible.

The Upright Four I had over the weekend was spot on.

I’ve never tried the Stone Saison, but I avoided it because how clear it was. I don’t think saisons should be that clear.

I wish I had avoided it. Tasted nothing like a Saison and was not a good beer regardless.

Stone Saison? Glad i haven’t seen it, although I’m rarely tempted by anything Stone.

I was actually going to comment earlier in this thread that the Stone Saison is hands down the worst I’ve ever had. It was totally gross. Like you poured half a Saison into a Stone IPA, only actually a lot worse than that and maybe it tasted like bananas. It was really, really bad.

Allagash’s Saison is quite decent.

Ditto, but the beer selection was crap and I took a flyer. Wish I’d stuck with water.