Farmhouse or Saison ale recs

It’s not.

Piling on with this rec → Logsdon has a really good Seizon Bretta

It’s readily available at the Seattle area, although no longer on constant discount at WF :confused:

Btw I got hold of the Logsdon, Tripel. Tried it on tap and it definitely had farmhouse tendencies, just like their wheat beer (Kili Wit). Logsdon is definitely tops when it comes to this style.

Saison Dupont - easy to find. All of the Duponts are good.
L.A. Saison by Smog City is decent.
The Informant by Speakeasy is decent.
Lomaland by Monder Times is good.
Hennepin - Ommegang is terrific.
Scythe & Sickle - Ommegang is really good.

Fantom seem to be one of the world favorites but they are highly variable and pricy. But you should try a few.

As far as Goose Island, it is sad to say that there beers have gone down in quality since the InBev take over. Honkers is still solid but I was a die hard Matilda drinker and now it is just off my radar. Sofie the same.

Sadly we can’t get Crux or pFriem down here.

Jason

Jason, I know Dupont and Lomaland, The rest I’ve seen around. I’ll given them a try.

in the larger picture, it’s really not. It’s still far more niche than IPAs are. It’s getting more popular among beer geeks, but still nothing like IPAs.

I have friends that no matter how hard I try I can’t steer them towards sours & belgians (sour or not).

They’re not into wine, either, I take it?

I don’t think that’s a 1:1. I am not a big sour fan… and that’s after doing an end-to-end tasting at Cascade, which has some pretty good sours, from what I’ve been told.

same. I enjoy em, but I don’t usually actively seek them. I just can’t drink that much of it. Joe Kim can testify that on our recent beer trip i tried out a few sours at breweries and they all went pretty much untouched after the first few sips.

I didn’t mean to imply a 1:1 relationship … more that it seems like most folks who like both fine wine and craft beer do enjoy sours and/or saisons.

I somewhat empathize with you on pFriem. You can find some of their beers on tap around Seattle, but not the different Saisons I had at the brewery earlier this year. And unfortunately they are not bottling anything as of yet.

Peter - if you see the Logsdon Fresh Hop Seizon grab it. I tasted some this year, but could not track down any bottles. Really great stuff. As far as I know all the beers Logsdon produces are bottled. Not sure they are all available in SoCal though.

Scott, that sounds like a really cool Logsdon bottling.

Brewery Vivant’s Farmhand Saison is awesome, my favorite, really grapefruit tart
Jolly Pumpkin is great
Prairie out of OK does good things
Dupont

Used to love Tank 7 but now find it too heavy. The Saison Brett is better. Oddly, the best thing Boulevard does, IMO is sours. Their Love Child is good, but they release it unaged sometimes on tap in KC, as “Fooder KC” (IIRC) and it is stellar.

Upright on the right is a terrific sour saison.
image.jpg

I just bought a bottle of Love Child #4 and looking forward to drinking it.
I have also had versions of Tank 7 that were too fat, there seems to be variation between batches as far as I can tell.

I think their Love Child is fantastic … and that reminds me: I need to buy one or two from my local BevMo and lay 'em down for 1 - 2 years.

Brian (and Peter) Love Child ages great. My BIL opened a #2 this summer and it was just drinking awesome. I’ve not had the #4 but he thought it the best yet. I have two but was only able to find them cold so I’ve kept them that way and will slate for short term consumption.

Boulevard also does the heavy, wintry stuff well. I just picked up their current release, a bourbon barrel quad. Haven’t tried it yet but really liked last year’s bourbon barrel stout and still have one left.

Portland’s Holiday Ale Fest is coming up fast. Don’t expect many (if any) Saisons, but winter sours hell yeah.

https://holidayale.com/

It’s very nice to have this data point, Michael. Thank you for posting. :slight_smile: