Falltacular 2016, Our 10th Anniversary, 2/20/2016--FINAL DETAILS in Post #205

Don’t even try. There’s only one sweater!

Yes, Dana Point was great.

I’m really excited, it’s already in the calendar, and (those of you who also had ‘practice marriages’ can understand best) it’s a no-kids weekend for us!!!

Congrats, Frankie, on 10 years, buddy. What a tremendous effect you’ve had on the deserving moms at Laura’s House. I’ve only missed one, I think, and hope never to miss another. Always something to look forward to, and let’s consider some ancillary events as well to make it even bigger.

There is something I was thinking of, since I think you spearheaded this initiative on here too, Frank. What if we were to invite the rest of the WB community to participate in a virtual tasting of any of the wines that end up on the FallTacular list? It would be a way to celebrate the event, the wines and the winemakers maybe. Thoughts?

A bientot!

Mike

Doubtful we could get THAT many going, but perhaps where there is a good concentration of folks (NYC, Dallas, elsewhere) some of the participating wineries might send a few bottles and they can have Virtual Falltaculars?

A lot of what we drink during Falltacular are new releases, often times wines that have been shipped in the preceding few months to the mailing list buyers, or wines that will ship at some point in the weeks/months after Falltacular. The data would tell the story but this is my gut reaction to the idea to find some way to draw in others with the same wines.

What we could do, in support of the wineries that make this thing go each year, is to drink the wines of the producers who will be poured during Falltacular 2016. This is the best way to show support and thank the wineries for supporting the event. Some kind of TN thread that WBers could post to, who are unable to attend. I’d love to see that happen.

Doctor, tratare en lo posible de asistir a este evento.

Respetos,

CD

Carlos, gracias por considerer la idea. Sabemos que vives muy lejos. Tenemos tiempo!

Oh, I don’t know–as far away as Toronto are you? [grin.gif]

That idea, Frank, was more what I was thinking of—a previous vintage of the wines being poured…

Folks, I wanted to shoot everyone out a quick note. I have decided on a price this year of $85 per person. This is indeed an increase but I want everyone who has supported us to remember that the previous price of $75 has been in place for 2012, 2013 and 2014–we held it steady for 3 years. For 150 wines, all the food you can imagine and the relationships that get built for this donation, we believe that it is a great way to spend your donation and the day. I do want to raise one other item. When I start asking for checks starting in early December, I will invite everyone to write their check for up to $100 per person. We only have this event once a year, it’s special year for us and we want to give people the option to recognize it, to increase their donation. We will call it “$100 for 10”. Ultimately, I will leave it up to everyone to raise their amount if they wish.

As part of the 10th anniversary, we will be giving away a brand new wine stem, customized for the event. You will get one when you arrive at the door and can use it all day long, then take it home with you. We wish to thank Mark Jones (and his firm, Neudisc), a dedicated and longtime Falltacular supporter, for donating these stems. Big thank you!

That’s it for now. We do thank you and wish you all a great Thanksgiving week. Talk to you after the holiday.

PS–I will be asking for check starting after December 6th.

Oh no Frank…I didn’t get a Social Security increase this year. You are killing our budget!!!

I believe, Ted, there is a special price for us pensioners. The “Old Guys” price, I think it’s being called.

But you have to wear a special dribble bib all day that lets everyone know you are “elderly” to get the discount.

Is it really worth the humiliation?

Kudos to Mark Jones. Ted and Jim, I think we can swing the $100. You even get a new stem!

Well, it will be a real hardship - we may have to fly out on coach this year [wow.gif]
And I have to check with the PA alcohol police to see if I can bring back a used wine glass [cheers.gif]

Kudos to Mark Jones! Pretty much the easiest 200 bones we will spend all year, but yea a really big hit to our upcoming retirement fund Frank [wink.gif]

Frank,

As I’ve mentioned, I am looking forward to partaking once again - and can’t wait! I will be making the donation of $100 as well - and ask all winemakers to do the same if possible.

Can I make one suggestion, though - the Friday night dinner has grown into such a big event that there is NO WAY to enjoy all of the wines that are brought that evening. Can I make a suggestion that we LIMIT the number of wines that evening somehow? Not trying to be a party pooper - but what’s the use of having that many ‘stellar’ wines opened if it is overkill?

Cheers . . .

Looking forward to it, Frank! So far that date is open for me.

Are we going to be golfing again this year as well?

This year I have to get back to Falltacular! Barring a catastrophe of astronomical proportion I am attending!

Hi guys. So, to answer. Yes, we will do golf again on the Friday, prior to the big Friday BYOB dinner. As to dinner, looking to do it again at Luciana’s. The challenge with the Friday dinner is the space. We bring 60-70 people every time, we want a good cost proposition and we want the restaurant to be kind with cork. That’s a hard ask on a Friday night. I’ll keep you posted.

Larry, will be great to have you back yet again. You’ve been a key supporter for many years. I hear you on the Friday wines but I’d rather let people share their cellars and let the bottle volume be what it is. This is part of what the essence of Friday night is.

Sorry to have missed last year. I’ll be there this time.