Eating and drinking in LA

For higher end dining, there’s plenty for me to keep in the rotation. LA is so casual I think the middle ground is a hard sell for many, which is IMO what may have happened to Hatfield’s.

Providence
Melisse
Patina
Spago
n/naka
Urasawa
Maude (haven’t been yet)

I might be forgetting a few…

I’m sad The Royce in Pasadena decided to transition to a steak house instead of what is was when both David Feau and Michael Voltaggio were there.

One place not mentioned often is Bashan in Montrose/ North Glendale… Great little place, we normally order splits of specific dishes to make a multi course meal. Nadav Bashan had stints at Providence and Michael’s.

I have a different view of corkage and generally other restaurant policies - one size does not fit all. If someone brings a cheap bottle of wine to a nice restaurant to save money they should be charged a corkage fee that is relatively in the line with the level of the restaurants food pricing.

However if a regular comes in who frequently spends a lot of money on food and wine they should not be charged corkage.

If you have a good list the people I roll with will always spend more on wine than the average table even if we bring wine.

And I don’t understand (other than it is a deterrent) why it matters whether it is on the list or not.

One LA restaurant who will go unnamed that I visited several times and sent at least 50 people to charged my wife $65 corkage. I guarantee my average wine bill was 5x the average on my several prior visits. And she really wanted to drink a White Burg and they had none on the list. The kicker is they had several bottles of wine on the list for under $65. I could care less about the $65 it is just not how you treat serious food and wine people who are great customers.

I think Bestia is extremely overrated across the board. Factory Kitchen kills it.

I really love Republique - everything about it. The food is just solid across the board, amazing atmosphere, and the wine program is a ton of fun.

I really wanted to love Saint Martha, but it was overwrought.

I loved Orsa and Winston. I really, really liked Trois Mec.

I always seem to end up at some point at Son of a Gun and/or Animal.

Tsujita for a great sushi experience was out of this world. Also, Shunji is amazing I prefer lunch - just sushi.

And of course, Smoke.Oil.Salt is just perfect every time and I refuse to make some disclaimer because I’m friends with Gelber.

Really want to try Maude.

Great thread!

Sushi Gen is legit

Republique & Terrine probably win out in the contest for my pocketbook right now, if I were dining out for that type of food. Pizza is inconsistent in LA. The top pizza can be in any one of 4 or 5 places in the city depending on the night. A little frustrating, in that sense. All’acqua’s was pretty right on two occasions, espcially one with tomato sauce. Anyone visit http://www.lecomptoirla.com/ in their new iteration?

oh man! didnt’ know they were back. Must go.

They just started up again around the holidays. Might only be their 4th or 5th week of service.

You can follow Gary Menes, Cuisinier on FB. If we ever get past this horrible 18-month sleep regression, we can get a babysitter and that’s where I want to go. Heck of a schlep from Tarzana, but he’s probably the best chef in town for vegetarians.

John, thanks for posting that article. I agree 100% with you regarding the attitude. It’s 100% fine with me if a restaurant doesn’t allow BYO because they think they will make more money by having that policy. Or even because they feel insulted by BYo (I won’t insult you because I won’t go). But don’t tell me (pretty much a traditionalist) that Valducava is a modern piece of crap (one of the few modern ones I like) while I should be happy drinking primativo (Which I don’t like). Or that if I want to eat at a certain restaurant I should only drink California wine even if I don’t like it.

Sorry for the thread drift

Wife out of town for work for the month, I’m just gonna sit at the bar for all the new restaurants and I want to try that she won’t go to. #onmywaytofattown

Not a bad way to go out [cheers.gif]

I believe Hatfields recently opened Odys + Penelope in La Brea.
Maybe this was the reason they closed Hatsfield.

New chef at Patina… Paul Lee who worked at Le Cirque. Interesting choice!

I just had an EPIC meal at Le Comptoir. 6 courses (I actually ended up doing 8) vegetarian dishes all from the chef’s urban garden. $67. Really small, seats ten people top at a counter and he does two seatings a night. Will do a write up with pictures probably tmrw

Anyone have thoughts on Bucato? Hoping to get a rez there tonight; couldn’t get a rez at Alimento.

I guess I really have to work on my hunter instinct. I just don’t enjoy an all veggie meal. I realize there are some meat/fish supplements there, but it seems like electing them pushed the price over $100. Though I plan to give it a go. What’s the corkage fee there Charlie?

Btw, the LA Times had a few interesting articles last Saturday discussing L.A. dining, including some points discussed here. They described a current trend in preps and ingredients as “fashionable austerity”. Tres hipster.

Brett, I really like Bucato. Their strength is great pasta and I LOVE pasta. Be warned that most of their seating is outside. They have heaters and it isn’t too cold, but my wife usually goes prepared.

Website says 25 but it’s $35. But yes with supplements price jumps. My bill was $200 but I added on supplements for extra courses. My brother added nothing and was sub$100 after tax tip

But the veggies were so good. Don’t even need the meat supplements.

Haven’t been to Bucato in a while, but loved it the 2x I’ve been. I knew the pastry chef who has moved on and she did mention some problems, but hopefully the food remains as tasty. Alimento is the best thing to move into Silverlake in a long time. Was there on Wed. The food is fantastic, but claustrophobics be warned, it’s small and you sit literally right next to your neighbors. Corkage is $20 with good stems and a very nice, concise list of LDM like wines. Fwiw, Union in Pasadena is similar in concept and also a new place we love.

Thanks for the info on Bucato; still want to try Alimento.

Bummed, we ended up not going to Bucato because the building had a gas leak!

Good way to do it. We usually end up splitting tasting menus down the middle to get a little bit of everything, and in this case it can save a bit of money.