Eating and drinking in LA

Couple other newer openings that might be of interest: Terrine, Cadet and Brilliantshine. Terrine is very good (disclaimer: I know one of the principals well), haven’t yet been to the other two. And since Richter was mentioned, Pok Pok Phat Thai is already open in Chinatown, with the main Pok Pok restaurant coming mid 2015. Saint Martha was just ok when I was there about a month ago, but to be fair, I’ve only been the one time. I was also remiss in neglecting to mention the bountiful options in LA’s Koreatown community. Too many options to mention, though, a simple web search should provide enough info. Lastly, I ate at Union in Pasadena a few weeks ago. Both my wife (a vegetarian) and I loved it. It is a tight, cramped space, yet the food and staff quickly help you to forget any uncomfortableness. We brought in a wine and the bev. manager quickly recognized the need for a decanter and personally took care of our wine service. Nothing about Union is transcendental, but it marks a high point in rather lackluster Pasadena dining scene. If the food and service are as consistent as our first visit, Union should be at the top of your list if Pasadena is a destination. BTW- going to Maude in Feb (parsnip).

Thanks all, this has turned out to be a great reference thread for LA. I will try to update.

Gregg,
I’ve been to Cadet twice and have booked again for next week. Very good wood-fired grill centric cooking. Good non-red meat options, too. Great addition to the neighborhood.

Thanks for the notes, Gregg… What about Gadarene Swine? I recall you mentioned it before. I haven’t been there, but am familiar with Chef Lee’s cooking.

It’s on the list Dan. Too many restaurants, so little time…

Thanks Mark. If I break my rule and travel west of Vermont, I’ll consider it.

Changed the thread title to Eating and Drinking in LA!

FWIW, this month’s Wine & Spirits has an L.A. dining section. I drive through L.A. as fast as I possibly can, and haven’t been to any of these, just passing it along for those poor souls who must toil and eat there. Restaurants they profile:

Bestia

Republique

Maude

Chez Marvin

Commissary & Pot

Saint Martha

Night+Market Song

Before this thread drops to oblivion Glenn, if you come to LA we’d be happy to host a dinner at our house if the Gelbs don’t arrange anything. We’re centrally located and can accomodate a group.

Please move me to the A list. :slight_smile:

John-when did Maxwell leave? Must have been very recently. He served us on our last visit in Nov.

Maxwell left recently, within a few weeks. There’s a new wine director there.

I think Maxwell was a cool dude and enthusiastic about wine. I didn’t like the way he constructed a list and really disliked his attitude toward corkage. I feel the same way about the guys at Sotto. They can like whatever they like, but they operate under the misconception that others can best enjoy wine by conforming to what works for them. The best wine program doesn’t just establish a name for the wine steward, it allows the most people to enjoy the wine experience they want to and maintains a profitability for the establishment. Some of these newer programs fall short on both.

I am not a fan of Rustic Canyon, but I am also far from a vegan or even pescetarian. I know Charlie would disagree, but Providence would be one of my top reccos for a seafood seeker.

Too bad Sedlar couldn’t make it with Rivera, which just closed. I think he is a very good chef with interesting favors. That’s a pretty prime spot so it will be interesting to see what might go in. I was also sad to see Hatfield’s go. It was not fantastic, but at least maintain a sense of comfortable fine dining which is a disappearing formula. Same loss when a place like Jiraffe closes.

Places like Republique replace it. The food is quite good, but also quite expensive. For $125 per person, I would prefer to not sit at crappy tables with crappy chairs, or worse the current trend of backless stools I also don’t enjoy din like many who find it exciting. I thought the wine list at Republique was pretty good. The somm is Kara who pours for Siduri at a lot of the SoCal tastings.

New somm at Bestia is Ryan Ibsen. He used to work in NYC.

Interesting thoughts. The btg list at Bestia, I think is very well thought out and walks the fine line between appealing/recognizable brands and those more interesting/cutting edge. The common denominator being they paired well with the food. I recognized most of the wines and could discern the various vendors. Not that that means anything to anyone, but I think one very important concept a wine list must address, is do these wines pair with the food? As a somm, I feel this issue tantamount to a successful list. If you educate your staff which further will educate your patron base, a wine list can include a variety of both recognizable and obscure wines, if that is the goal. Let’s face it, Italian wine is likely the most complex area for anyone (wine geek to neophyte) to understand, let alone brand recognition. Frankly a list full of Tuscan IGT, Chianti and the 3 Bs bores the crap out of me and is akin to a list full of Cali Chard & Cab Sauv.

I also don’t understand your complaint re: corkage. Yes it’s $30 and likely limited (2 btls?) but in the same comment you indicate a restaurant needs to maintain a profitability. Corkage is not very profitable and the $30 equates to roughly 2 wines btg. Seems fair to me as it discourages those from bringing in cheap swill (which happens a lot) while still allowing byob for those more conscientious about their wine choices.

I can say from experience, it’s hard to please all the people all the time. My goal was to establish a list that provoked thought/questions and encouraged people to get out of their routines. It fit with LQ’s philosophy on the food and thankfully we received praise for it.

Agreed

I don’t have time for a lengthy reply, but will later. I don’t object to Betia’s corkage policy, but you’re making a connection between corkage/list design and profitability of the establishment that wasn’t really my point. While I know you took pride in the list at LQ, it closed down. Undoubtedly mainly for other reasons. But often the praisers of wine lists, especially columnists, are not the ones buying most of the wine in this town. Call me an Al Czervik, but I don’t really look to get educated or have thought provoked by wine lists or Somms. I’m there to eat and drink what appeals to me and spend time with my companions. The majority of my wine experimenting does not occur in that setting, with high mark-up. It occurs at tastings and at home.

Anyhow, here is a link containing some attitudes about customers bringing wine by a couple of people. It’s the attitude that irks me. You and I have known each other for quite awhile and I clearly like different wines than you. But we each know enough to decide what we like and what will be an enjoyable drinking experience for our own tastes.

I am in the camp of liking the food and list at Bestia, but being unable to dine there due to noise level. Last time, my dining companion took out his phone, which has a decibel meter app installed, and we discovered that it was almost as loud as a jet plan taking off. To me, this isn’t a fun environment to enjoy food and drink.

I was sad to see that Hatfield’s has now closed. I haven’t eaten there in a few years, but remember some very good meals there. Maybe it went downhill recently?

Also had an issue at Rustic Canyon once when I was told that I couldn’t have my salad lightly dressed. It could be on the side, or the way chef thinks it should be, which was drowning.

Totally agree that LA shines for ethnic food. Unfortunately, I entertain clients frequently when in town, and need a few higher-end places for business dinners that aren’t steakhouses.

Try asking for a table outside at Bestia. At first I thought we were being relegated and would miss some of the experience, but once we sat out there realized how much more enjoyable it was to be away from the frenetic movement of staff/guests and the noise. Now we ask for outside if we can get it. The loud thing really has gotten out of hand. I know for a fact that a few restauranteurs want people in and out fast so as to turn tables, so they are decidedly not making the setting cushy.

I don’t think the quality at Hatfield’s went down. It was just not that cutting-edge dining in a vibrant room that many prefer these days. The good news is that they are already working on something else, I believe on LaBrea. Odys & Penelope??

That makes sense. For my part, I need a break from hip more often than not these days. A good meal in a peaceful and comfortable, maybe even pretty, space where I’m treated well and allowed to bring wine makes me happy 7 times out of 10. Will look out for the new venture! I went to Hatfield’s even before it moved to the larger space it just closed.

Not sure I can convince my usual suspects to try Bestia again for any reason, but if I do go there, I’ll definitely opt for the outside tables, as you suggest. Thanks!

John - I look at this as a friendly discussion and will say that we as patrons are very spoiled by corkage in LA. We take it for granted and I am certainly guilty by choice as I will not eat at Trois Mec due to the policy. I read the LA section of the link and agree whole heartedly with Maxwell and Jeremy’s take. Jeremy’s comments ring especially true for me, not to mention, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him. Until you have spent time working in a restaurant, I honestly think it’s difficult at best to have a perspective on the range of clientele we service as well as an understanding of what goes in to making a wine list and menu. You, and for the most part those trafficking this bb, know far greater about wine then the average patron, which in a sense is a relief, but at the same time frustrating that many won’t supplement their byob with a selection off the list. It is also my experience that those who felt knowledgeable about wine were less flexible in trying new items or taking advice. And one thing I wanted to mention before, a wine list can be exciting and innovative without having orange and/or oxidative wines. It really comes down to trying to please as many as you can while maintaining integrity and harmony with the food.

I’m still wondering what your grip is with Maxwell’s corkage policy.

So That’s why max lets me open more than two bottles of burg and champagne :smiley: