Côte-Rôtie Must Trys?

I am not a fan of the wine, and I believe that it is because of the Viognier. On the other hand, Faury’s Condrieu is my favorite from that appellation and, as you know, the St.-Joseph cuvees rock.

Reviving for 2017.

Not a whole lot of additions, seems like all the relevant players are still relevant. I obviously lean traditional.

My top 5
Jamet
Rostaing
Levet
Benetiere
Gilles Barge

Next 5
Jasmin
Faury
Gallet
Texier
Clusel-Roch

Nooooooooooooooooo. Tell me this isn’t so.

An interesting article and an offer on some “traditional” producers.

It won’t get much praise here, but Michael Twelftree just posted that K&L has the 2010 Chapoutier La Mordoree for $69/btl. Chapoutier is a “modern” take on cote rotie if you like that sort of thing, or want to try it.

bullseye

Agreed. Also encouraged by what I’ve heard/read about Clusel Roche and Cedric Parpette. Have a few bottles of each that are queued up.

I have consumed 3 cases of '98 Clusel Roch wines over the last few years, not that great. A side note, my 7 years old mini Schnauzer has claimed the wooden box of Cote-Rotie “Les Grandes Places” as his possession.

Yeah, I’m pretty out of touch as well. Did make it back to the Marche in Ampuis four years ago. As someone else mentioned, the overall set of wines have shifted to the extracted and oaky, but there are still holdouts.

I agree that I love Jasmin young, but older bottles haven’t wowed.

Other producers to recommend, many of them duplicates:
Gallet
G. Remillier
Jamet
Texier
Ogier
Clusel-Roche

Couldn’t disagree more. Torbreck are the complete opposite of proper Côte Rôtie. It’s (high alcohol) sweet blackberry cordial.

Talking about Côte-Rôtie you cannot ignore Guigal,
if not the (very expensive) 3 LaLas, then Chateau d´Ampuis, or the regular CR …

Then:
Jamet
Rostaing
Ogier
Gangloff

Gerin
Clusel-Roch
Barge

(Texier only if you like “Italian” acidity …)

Chapoutier “Mordoree”
Delas “La Landonne”

Good:
Gallet
Burgaud
Monteillet (Montez)
Jasmin

… and many others mentioned above …

Guigal, Chapoutier and Delas are not for me. The LaLas are too oak-laden for my palate. Chapoutier and Delas likewise, plus they are so modernized and polished. Major pass for me.

My CR list is quite short, but they make up a notable part of my Northern Rhone collection, which is now my largest holding in my meager cellar:

Jamet
Levet (this and Gonon are my largest Northern Rhone holdings, the latter a St. Joe)
Benetiere

Plus a smattering of Texier and Champet.

Robert,

that´s your personal preference, but the question was “Must Trys” … and every serious wine-lover should have tried Guigal, Chapoutier and Delas … at least once, better more often, to decide IF or IF not for him …

I´m also no great fan of Delas, but the LaLas/Guigal are (in a certain style) at the absolute TOP of the appellation …
(and Chapoutier-Mordoree is not far behind) …
AND there is absolutely no new oak detectable when tasting 20, 25 years after the vintage …

However: no need to fill the cellar with Guigals though … neener

GP -

I agree completely! One must try up and down each appellation if he/she is truly interested in understanding it and his/her palate.

I have not heard you comment on Levet. Given your depth in this region, curious as to your thoughts and impressions.

I admit I have tasted Levet only 5-6 times, without any regularity, and the last vintage was a 2005 (and nothing really mature), so I better leave the comments to those with deeper insight.
My impressions are that it´s quite a traditional producer, sometimes bordering on rustic (with a dry edge to the finish) - comparable with maybe Burgaud, Champet or (the regular) Clusel-Roch … but that may be different now …

I really like a lot of different Cote Rotie wines. There are several that I find provide some of the best wine tasting experiences that can found from any region in the world. Guigal, Rostaing and Ogier are probably at the top of my list. Reading this thread makes me thirsty! Learn about Cote Rotie Wine, Complete Guide to the Best Wines, Vintages

Like Jamet, Jasmin, Gilles Barge.
While I admit to having a few myself, I tend to think those without separate bottlings or super cuvees are preferred for my taste.

Just curious, why? Different terroir, at least to me merits the potential for a unique wine.

Does unique equal better?

To my point, I don’t know. Maybe traditional producers tended to harvest & vinify their entire holdings as their vintage CR. The modern brigade perhaps looked elsewhere & saw the trend towards individual plots. Maybe they also saw other trends (like new oak or late harvests). Maybe the beauty of places like CR are what each cote give you blended as one? Just speculation & my own thoughts. I don’t feel that way about Burgundy, but the Bordelais certainly follow that path.

I’m not a complete zealot on this. I do have some newer Chapoutier bottles, but generally tend to enjoy those that by coincidence only have 1 version (maybe with 1 lesser negociant version too) of CR.

[scratch.gif]

Have you ever tasted Jamet´s Cote brune against the regular bottling?
Barge´s regular CR (Plessy) against his Cote brune?
Or Rostaing´s regular CR (now Ampodium) against his Cote blonde or La Landonne?

Think you misread my post. I like Barge & Jamet. Are you suggesting their Brune bottles are similar to Chapoutier & Guigals?