Côte-Rôtie Must Trys?

You guys have some strange, strange tastebuds if you don’t like La Mouline.

But I’ll have to defer to your experience in knowing your own tastebuds better than I know them.

How is Levet these days quality-wise? Years ago, I bought a number of 2001s, and had about a 50% failure for bottles that were seriously off. Put me off buying any since. Has their quality control gotten better?

Quality seems to be up. The first Levet I had was a 1998 back in 2002 and I wasn’t particularly impressed. People started opening more recent vintages when I was around and I’ve become a fan. A recent 2004 was particularly appealing.

they can be excellent, but they are quite variable - as recently as 2007-2009

used to love ogier, but the wines don’t seem to hold up well and there are too many cuvees. perhaps the vines and/or vineyards aren’t as great as they should be?

always want to love jasmin, but it always underwhelms me.

benetierre is the latest “new” producer that i’m really interested in.

LaLas are for tourists

old Guigal BdB can be found and are remarkable wines. the 1988 is still young and stunning.

gallet is a beautiful and very traditional wine that NEVER gets mentioned. when you smell it, you say “this cannot be anything other than cote-rotie”

But, Jamet is really the best.

Unless you can drink Gentaz…

I think Jamet is a Burgundy drinker’s northern Rhone, but then I am a Burgundy drinker. I did not think I liked Cote Rotie until I tasted Jamet. But my experience in those wines are limited due to my provincial tastes.

it’s because, as a burgundy drinker, you have higher standards! [wow.gif]

Behind Jamet as “classic” CR I also enjoy Gallet, Ogier, and Jasmin. My info is a bit dated now from 2003 and back. Gallet being the most old school and Ogier the most new school. Jasmin being the most elegant. There are certainly others but they rarely yank my cord.

I confess to never really seeing Jasmin at 10+ yrs blossom into something older and special. I was not a big fan of 2000 and later Gallet when Henri stepped back so who knows how those are today. I am still enjoying my '98 and '99s.

While some like to disparage La Mouline and the La Las due to pricing, oak treatment, or the fact they are “brands” rather than vineyard names (except Landonne) those wines with age are some of the best wine I have ever had had. Think '88 La Mouline. I have not bought any in eons and rarely taste them but I’m am not sure I have ever met someone who has tasted a few mature ones and still claims they are bad wines.

Not bad wines, just not very interesting. I might consider buying them if they were about $50. I never saw the point of them when they were 2x the price of Chave and 4x the price of Jamet - I certainly don’t see the point of them now that they’re even more expensive. I see that a single bottle of 2009 La Mouline costs more than I paid for a full case of 2009 Benetiere, and I would much rather drink Benetiere.

And, along the lines of my Jamet comment, I am not sure Hermitage does much for me except for Chave. And I mucpst admit that for Nebbiolo Giacosa is a step above the others for my palate. Not to be “dropping” the names of the obvious, but it seems like, for a Burgundy lover who does not always feel a passion for other varietals, these producers have a style that appeals particularly to Burgophiles. Something in terms of balance and perfume and lightness-on-it’s-feet and whatever it is, these producer’s wines just hit the spot. Just interesting to me,

love seeing you post here…hope you’re well.

Do you have experience with Faurie Hermitage? To my palate, it has everthing of a very good grand cru Burgundy.

IMO, the North Rhone is the front line between RMP and the AFWE.

Happily, I think RMP is losing…

Jody, when I get back I’d be interested in sourcing a few good examples and having a tasting. Probably won’t be till Oct/Nov. I’ve had zero of the recommended wines.

Exactly!

His recent a scores on some favorites, however, like the 09 and 10 Clape, certainly didn’t help with availability and pricing.

Chinon is another front.

I must say that the Guigal La La’s that I have tasted very most impressive. I have a few in the cellar. If I had deep pockets I would definitely more as the quality is there in spades.

I like Rene Rostaing. More subtle style but also more affordable.

Few Jasmin’s I tried were nice but not great.

Chinon? parker likes Cinon?

Sounds great Josh - and good timing for a N. Rhone themed tasting. I’ll try to source many of these in the interim [cheers.gif]

Anyone had any of Faury’s Cote-Rotie bottlings? If so, what are your thoughts? Like many here, I’m a fan of their St. Joseph, but I’ve seen little mention of the Cote-Roties on this Board and relatively few notes on CT.

I’ve just had the 2008 Faury Cote-Rotie (twice), and it is excellent. Lifted and floral. He uses a fairly high percentage of Viognier.