Coravin demo

People keep asking this. It is easy. You can add/edit the per-bottle note. We have had this feature for about 8 years.

Please use the per-bottle note. There are a quarter of a million people registered on CellarTracker. When there are many thousands of Coravin systems in use by CT users, then I can add specialized features. Meanwhile please use the feature that already exists.

I am picking up what you are putting down…I guess I’ll just wait and see what people say. If the capsules actually get you 16 pours maybe it is worth it.

I’m just not sold yet.

I will be watching WB for the reviews, to be sure, before buying. Sounds incredibly interesting - almost as exciting as Latour buying Chateau Montelena.

Todd: let’s get a berserker day deal!

Well, Charlie…I’m a LosAlamos guy…we just make up stuff, and then call it “scientific evidence” !!! [snort.gif]

I have a friend who plans to buy one. I plan to borrow it & do the test. Buy two btls of the same wine. Coravin one down to half full.
Store them together for 6 months or so. Then open the fresh btl & pour a glass, alongside a fresh glass from the Coravin’d btl.
Taste them side by side, blind. Repeatedly. Chose which one I prefer on each trial…or decide that I can’t tell the difference between
the two glasses. Do the statistics on my trials to lend a bit of “scientific credibility”. If the statistics indicate that I can’t tell the
difference between the two glasses…then Coravin wins and the tool is effective in what it claims to do. If I can tell a difference on the 99%
confidence level, then Coravin loses. If, on the 99% confidence level, I prefer the Coravin’d sample, Coravin wins. If I significantly prefer
the non-Coravin’d sample, than Coravin loses.
That’s the evidence I’d like to see. I don’t think that experiment has been done. I’d rather do that experiment than rely on the
anecdotal evidence put forth by Parker…incredible though his memory and infallible palate may be.
Of course, those folks who already “know” that Coravin works based on anecdotal evidence will reject this “scientific evidence”
because all wines display btl variation…which is the obvious explanation of any differences my “science evidence” might reveal.
Tom

A two bottle sample, that’s quite a large study. How will you control for bottle variation?

He did quote scientific

What’s the code?

Yes please PM me the code if you are not comfortable posting it. Thanks.

Larry

I totally get how impactful this thing would be if it works, but it doesn’t really accomplish anything that couldn’t be accomplished by wineries releasing a bunch of little 50ml airplane-size bottles, right?

Excellent point.

Winds of change, baby. Winds of change…

Just looking at how this works, would you not get a really small amount of oxygen that is “in” the needle already before you puncture the cork? I know it maybe very small, but oxygen will creep into the needle/system all the way to where the argon gas seal is right? Or am I splitting hairs here? Also the problem of sediment comes to mind.

Would love to get a PM of the code as well. TIA.

• J

Press Club here in SF is using Coravin (they were selected to be a tester). Works amazing. Fantastic selection of wines too.

I haven’t seen this discussed here, but it sounds interesting. Thoughts from the board?

Not sure how I missed the earlier thread, sorry for the spam…

Gary

The unit is $299 and the canisters are about $10 a piece with 12 - 14 uses per canister. This is the one thing that can become an issue. There are plenty of dinners and tastings where I would use multiple canisters. I asked about larger capacity, they are working on it. However, I can see myself spending a lot of money on canisters. Also, the canister is a proprietary product of Coravin.

oops, I guess it has been discussed…thanks!

Well, Tom… this is just pseudo-Science, not real Science. No way you can control btl variation…which is
why I said that folks who already “know” that Coravin works would reject the results of my study unless it confirmed
what they “know”…that Coravin does work.
If you, Tom (or anybody), would like to fund a 6-btl each study of 24 different wines, I’d be glad to do the experiment.
But I doubt it’ll ever happen. I suspect all we’ll ever have is anecdotal evidence. And if it’s Parker’s anecdotes, that’s good
enough for most folks.
Tom

Good news, folks, the Coravin team is registering (had to amend one registration for the violation of real names policy this morning) so that they can answer questions directly in this thread. Hopefully it still opens the door for a BerserkerDay (or non-BerserkerDay) group buy!