Chicago Pizza is Best -- Suck it NYC

Tons Mel - not priced as well as Berns in Tampa - but their list rivals it for sure. They have three different cellars packed with wine. What I found most interesting was the old Domestic stuff - '85 & '86 Arterberry Pinots were two that stuck out and a ton of labels from wineries that no longer exist. The older Italian stuff was also pretty impressive.

Sausage patty this time - hadn’t had it before - it was delicious, that spicy sauce and crust are just to die for.

Used to love the patty…porky deliciousness in every bite.

Buddys

Loved Buddy’s. It’s been years

Any such list that has Washngton DC in the top 50 has to be taken with more than salt. DC, with few exceptions, is a pizza wasteland. Pizza Paradiso? Average on a good day. [wow.gif]

Just for clarification, Deep dish is not the preffered pizza among Chicagoans. Thin crust is by far. At least 4 to 1 if not more. There’s a reason why all the top deep dish places are located in the tourist area.

[welldone.gif]

I love Buddy’s and have known the owner since we were teenagers.
Try Loui’s in Hazel Park for an interesting variation of the Buddys-style pizza as well as the Loui’s special steak sandwich which is worth a journey by itself.

The best thin crust in Detroit is Supino’s at Eastern Market with Tomatos Apizza a close second place.

I forgot about Supino’s.

I’ve always thought that Detroit needs to pizza-atone for giving the world Dominos and Little Caesar’s

Two Amys is rockstar worthy.

Any other Pizano’s fans in Chicago?

Dominos and Little Caesars are distractions created to keep the rest of the world in the dark about Detroit pizza.

Agreed, but its the exception that proves the rule, Nick. Pete’s New Haven isn’t bad either, though it can be hit or miss. Most pizza - especially if can be delivered - is barely edible in DC.

Understood Drew. Speaking of my friends at The Red Hen are starting a new pizza oriented place.

Two Amys is really good.

Not NYC good but very good. neener

So true. The one or two times it happened while growing up I couldn’t believe it. When I moved to KC, the pizza here was godawful, except for one place called Italian Delight that would have done okay in Jersey. Everything else was a crime. We now have about three or four places that do decent pizza in that vein, but it used to be the first thing I would eat when I went back to Jersey to visit was pizza. Second was bagels.

A LONG time ago, Armand’s used to be pretty good for deep dish, although it wasn’t nearly as good as the best Chicago deep dish. I have no idea how they are
now, and it looks like they’ve moved from their original location (out on Wisconsin, as I recall).

Bruce

Chef Grant Achatz on Chicago pizza (and others he likes)

"Chicago deep-pan pizza? I’ve had a change of heart recently. I used to like it and now I don’t. It’s too doughy. I prefer thin-crust. > The best deep-dish, the best place to find it, would be Pequod’s. They have this cast-iron pan they bake it in and the crust gets really crispy. That’s where you should go."

Clearly, cancer treatments impacted Achatz’s taste buds more than he realized.