Cheese pairing with Selosse

Got a Selosse tasting event today.

If I were to pick only 1-2 cheeses, curious what would people recommend?

comte 24+

5 Likes

other than the comte or some aged alpine deliciousness to amplify the nuttiness, the classic is something soft with a little tongue-coatingness which would be cut by the bubbles.

If you want mostly-flavor neutral, a Brillat Savarin ; something a little tangier: Crémeux de Bourgogne? After that there are all kinds of mild washed rind or aged things… but really any good cow triple creme as long as it wasn’t ultra funky.

If you’re going to a cheesemonger I would ask for their best showing mild-to-medium strength cow triple-creme. Remember to serve it nice and room temp so it;'s a little runny…

Thanks guys. Managed to find 24 month Comtes at the neighborhood store.

1 Like

Depending on where you are, you may be able to find a local/regional raw milk version of these styles that would work. Finding more and more farm to table type production that have done their homework and can do nice approximations of European styles, and to me the raw milk versions pack great character. Some places are easier than others to find them, though.

1 Like

Brillat savarin. You can find some decent ones at Whole Foods.

Vacherin Mont d’Or. Good luck finding, but so, so good.

If there is any to be found domestically. The genuine imported stuff is ‘thermalized’. Harbison is better to my taste than thermalized Mont d’Or. And easy to find.

Raw milk Mont d’Or is probably my favorite cheese.

1 Like

Was told Mont D’Or is seasonal. But found Harbison by Jasper Hill. Picking that up soon.

1 Like