Cheese..glorious cheese..help me pick

Black 2 lb. package at Costco; red 1 lb. package and labeled “Artisan Reserve” elsewhere.

Yup. One of my favorites when I can find it. Love their white cheddar.

Saturday, October 15: Uplands Cheese Company Pleasant Ridge Reserve

Monday, October 17: Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise

Thursday, October 20: Vermont Creamery Coupole

Sunday, October 30: Jasper Hill Farm Bayley Hazen Blue

Oct 18 and 25

Totally agree with Alan. The Mt. Tam is just wonderful. I’d buy three of the pucks at 50% off and not think twice. Red Hawk is great, as well, but kicks your rear with a heavy ammonia smell that can be a bit much for casual cheese fans.

Would love to know how the Saturday, October 29: Cedar Grove Donatello is. please report.

It’s late… but I totally concur here. I do not like the smoked cheese at all. Oregonzola is one of my favorites, probably moreso than their seasonal release of the brandy-soaked grape leaf bleu (Sept iirc?) I bought a wheel of it at the local store and ate half of it on the way down to CA. Not a good decision to eat that much cheese in the car, and ended up giving the other half of the wheel to a wine-friend in Saratoga when I got there :smiley: Caveman is good, too.

Chris,
I have a great cheese monger here in Dallas who has helped me learn a bunch about cheese. In my 2 years of buying from him, I have had and would reccomend the following:
Monday, October 3: LaClare Farms Evalon- really interesting to try this version of goat…they have a great chevre as well
Tuesday, October 4: Milton Creamery Jamesport Secret- have had the prairie breeze and really like it…never had this one
Wednesday, October 5: Point Reyes Farmstead Blue Cheese- as calssic as blue gets although i like their Bay Blue even better
Thursday, October 6: Jasper Hill Farm Cabot Clothbound Cheddar- fantastic…can’t say enough about what is going on at Jasper Hill…buy everything they sell
Friday, October 7: Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue- a really interesting take on blue with the added smoke…makes a great pasta filling with pork
Thursday, October 13: Cypress Grove Chevre Midnight Moon- this is good not great…but if at a regular grocery this will always work
Saturday, October 15: Uplands Cheese Company Pleasant Ridge Reserve- so great…might be one of my favorites
Tuesday, October 18: Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam- a fantastic soft cheese…all of their products are great…look for the red hawk
Thursday, October 20: Vermont Creamery Coupole- i really like their products and this one is one of their most interesting
Saturday, October 22: Hook’s Creamery 1-Year Aged Cheddar- good 1 year cheddar not as sharp as i like cheddars to be…their 10 year is amazing
Wednesday, October 26: Ludwig Farmstead Creamery Kickapoo- interesting and has a really creamy finish
Sunday, October 30: Jasper Hill Farm Bayley Hazen Blue- another great blue

Additionally if your market has the Jasper Hill Winnimere or Harbison those are worth seeking out.

I agree on all counts on these Cowgirl Creamery cheeses. I love the Red Hawk, but it is funky. Mt. Tam is an easier sell around my house. The texture when it’s ripe is amazing, and it won a brie competition in France.

The Vella Dry Jack is an interesting cheese, the texture of a hard grating cheese but smoother, more buttery, and less salty than Parmesan or Romano.

I’d also go for any aged Gouda.

Red Hawk is wonderful, especially if you remove the rind, which complete eliminates the ammonia stink…

OK, Chris. Results?

Going well - the picks and suggestions have been spot on. Missed a few days due to work but will post notes after I go clean out the cooler on Saturday (Pleasant Ridge Reserve day).

BTW, the feedback has been fantastic…MUCH appreciated

I love both Red Hawk and Epoisses, but I’ve never had a Red Hawk that was anywhere close to as strong as a half-way aged Epoisses.

Jasper Hill’s Harbison is akin to Epoisses, and outstanding in its own right.

Pleasant Ridge Reserve is wonderful, and more consistently tasty than a lot of the Gruyere we get in NYC.

Bought a half wheel of the Pleasant. Came home with 4.75#. Shocked I have a weight problem. Just. Shocked.

You’re just not tall enough, Chris.

At twenty feet in height, he would go into the Guinness Book of World Records. [wow.gif]

Cheese = calcium =good for the bones, most specifically hips. neener

you should load up on Thursday’s cheese BTW

George

Jasper Hill Alpha Tolman

They claim that it resembles Appenzeller, but I find it less pungent, and more a cross between a fine aded cheddar and gruyere. Very good stuff.

Where did you find it?

When I’m looking for cheese, my go to is Whole Foods.