Cheap dessert wine for a reception

I served this in my wedding. I like it a lot.

Quady’s wines are fortified as well.
I agree with the Moscato option. Almost universally enjoyed.

You won’t do better than Elio Perrone in this price range. Your best bet would be mixed cases of Sourgal and Bigaro.

The Electra is around 5%. Fortified with what, water?

Sakonnet Winery in Rhode Island makes a dessert wine that I remember enjoying quite a bit. Avail in MA for $13

http://m.wine-searcher.com/find/sakonnet+sirius+south+east+new+england+rhode+island+usa

If you’re in MA, you bettah call them jimmies.

Not in Berkshire Co.!

My wife and I are going to have a tasting this weekend.

That’s a reasonable approach, although one thing to consider is that if you have a group of people who aren’t total food/wine geeks, then the exact pairing may not be that critical. A Moscato could be a good choice; one thing that makes the pairing a bit more challenging is having the chocolate which tends to push you in a different direction. But for a lot of guests, as long as they like the dessert and the dessert wine, it’s all good.

Bruce

Maybe Royal Tokaji Mad Cuvee …$18/375.

Widely available in SoCal…don’t know about MA

D’Arenberg The Stump Jump Sticky Chardonnay. Awesome wine. $8.79/.375 at NHSLC.

Paolo Saracco would completely own this category in most years [and is always the 100% reliable fallback option].

But 2012 was a such massive and powerful vintage for Germany, even at the Kabinett level. We had a 2012 Kurt Darting Riesling Kabinett down here [in miserable franchisee-protected North Carolina, with no more gray market] at $14.99 which would have been perfect for you [it tasted like an Auslese]. And if you can still find the basic 2012 Donnhoff “Riesling” [what we used to call the “QBA” or the “Estate”], in quantity, at $19.99, then that’s your wine right there [it drinks like a Spatlese*].

I’d hit up all the major retailers in Massachusetts and see who might be sitting on a stack of quality 2012 Germans, in quantity, at your pricepoint. You might find something which is really fun to sip on.

*Or a cross between a Spatlese and Diet Mountain Dew with a few drops of fake lime juice thrown in for good measure. I’ve never tasted anything like the 2012s - they don’t have the elegance of the 2001s, but at your pricepoint, that’s a good thing.

The Electra is around 5%. Fortified with what, water?

The one exception in their entire lineup. Their website says its made to resemble Moscato d’Asti. Every other wine in their lineup is fortified.

Wow, prices really are awful in Taxachusetts.

I checked a few labels and nationally consensus-priced $19.99 wines tend to be $24.99 in Taxachusetts.

Here are a few which might work.

With salads and maybe with white desserts:
[u]GYSLER SCHEUREBE HALBTROCKEN 2012 1 LTR[/u]

Very popular on Cellar Tracker:
[u]Dr. Loosen Riesling Kabinett Erdener Treppchen 750ML 2012[/u]

90 points Wine Advocate:
[u]Joh. Jos. Prum Riesling Kabinett 750ML 2012[/u]

For chocolate desserts, you just can’t beat a big thick inky-black Barossa Shiraz as an after-dinner port [they’re always real crowd pleasers at that point in the evening]. Unfortunately, Mollydooker isn’t available at that pricepoint in Taxachusetts, but these might work:

90 Pts Robert Parker:
[u]Shotfire Ridge Shiraz 750ML 2010[/u]

89 Pts Wine Spectator:
[u]Schild Estate Shiraz 750ML 2011[/u]

??? 2006 Vintage ???
[u]Chris Ringlands Cr Ebenezer Shiraz 750ML[/u]

Fortunately there’s always good old reliable Paolo Saracco:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/saracco/1/usa-ma