Cellar door retina scanner

Round the clock armed guards is the only way to go. [thumbs-up.gif]

iPhone 8 is rumored to use iris scan to unlock, then use your phone to access home automation that controls your cellar door lock.

my storage facility uses keypad + fingerprint. Seems pretty secure.

Alternative approach - instill good values, teach your children to appreciate good wine, share often and you’ll never have a moments worry about them invading your cellar. Though an iris scanner is way cool.

i just enlarged/enhanced my cellar and have a lock and a video camera connected to my security DVR in the cellar, with motion activated alerts to the iPhone. But, the kids don’t live at home anymore so we never lock it! I think the retinal scanner idea is cool, even if it is just for show. Let me know if you find one - even if the post was in jest.

I installed one to secure my stuff in Chicago, but it unlocks only if I view it from a certain angle. Still trying to figure out why, before resorting to a plain, old padlock.

Personally I wouldn’t see it as cool. Geeky at best, at worst it could come across as showing off.

If it needs a lock, something subtle but effective.

You guys and your complications!

Go the fingerprint route and then cut your finger and it won’t recognize you.

Use a retinal scanner and wake up from a late night missing one eye and a cellar full of wine.

Either way you are dependent on the power not going out ot you need a battery back up.

Whats the matter with a strong solid core wooden door and a lock? Power goes out? As long as you have a flashlight and can remember where you put the key, you can drown your sorrows.

[drinkers.gif]

Retinal scanner to get in is fine as long as you have a breathalyzer test to get back out…

How about a machine gun with an electric eye plus a DNA sensor to make sure that it knows who you are, plus a battery backup to deal with the zombie apocalypse? Oh yeah, I forgot, you can’t kill zombies.

If we take the OP inquiry seriously, it’s a bad idea for so many reasons. I decide what I want to decant and drink in the afternoon; I call home to tell my son; and he goes to the cellar to pull the bottle. Oops, he can’t get in. The house is on fire; I send him downstairs to get my best bottles before fleeing the flames; oops, while he is wasting time smashing the glass window and getting in without injury, the fire speeds through the house and he doesn’t have enough time to get the case of 1990 La Tache.

That is why some people keep wine in a car garage wine refrigerator. neener

Geeky is cool.

Though I agree with most other people that it’s not even close to being a practical choice. But I’m guessing practicality isn’t the point.

I thought the advantage of retinal scanners (or even fingerprint scanners) is mainly for doors that multiple people need to open - e.g., in offices - but where security needs to be greater than just the keys out there, which might be subject to duplication or being provided to others. If you’re the only one needing access (or perhaps a spouse), why not just have a key?

Thank you all (well, most of you) for the responses. This is something I am seriously considering and I appreciate the comments. Even those critical of the idea.

I guess the overall idea had both practicality and coolness in mind. The original idea started as a joke with my FIL, but then morphed in my head to something I wanted to pursue.

I am interested in hearing more ideas, criticisms, or alternative approaches as this idea continues to develop.

I have ruled out the need for automatic machine guns, 24 hour personal attendant, helicopters, etc.

On a more serious note, what about a smart lock operated by your mobile phone? It can be secured by the phone’s fingerprint scanner, and you can open up the cellar by proximity or voice, as well as remotely (e.g., when you send your servant down to grab a bottle) “Siri- unlock wine cellar”). Less of a hassle than actually having to touch something with your finger or eye.

Honestly, all the new keypads (August, for example) allow temporary codes and multiple codes so that you can give people one-time access or track based on code who comes in. Probably just as useful and more foolproof.

Or Never Say Never Again…

pX7l0dG2HNE

Reason #209 why I don’t own a case of 1990 La Tache.

Bruce