Brief Burgundy meals report

Lameloise is great! We missed it on this trip but will definitely be back for the next one.

+1

I think at every meal except tontons we saw people turned away. You figure most of these places have limited tables and considering dinner is long, some will really only do one seating a night. I’d absolutely make reservations, while email was nice, calling was just as easy.

If it is not too late, I highly recommend booking a Sunday lunch at La Ferme de la Ruchotte.
This place has been recommended here multiple times, it definitely lives up to its reputation.

They also have a fairly decent wine list with reasonable price (e.g. DRC section).

that looks fabulous! will check it out on my next trip to the Cote D’Or

Still surprised at the lack of love for Jardins des Ramparts, my favorite restaurant in Beaune. Had 375 ml of Dujac on the list too!

Aupres was as good as ever when we dined there a couple of months ago.

Interesting. I know a lot of people love Tontons but it is probably about my least favorite restaurant of the ones I have been to in Burgundy.

Totally agree about Jeunet. That and Passage 53 in Paris were my MOTP (meals of the trip). My friend and I might have ordered another bottle at Jeunet, but Laura at the Dom. de la Pinte tasting room across the street gave us the full rundown on their offerings. [drinkers.gif]

Obviously, you didn’t see ‘99 Raveneau Clos on Clos’ wine list at 108 euros. Or perhaps the 3 bottles that were drunk by me and friends at different dinners cleaned them out. champagne.gif

I will return to Jeunet in Arbois again just to order the chicken in vin jaune sauce with the morels again. Most blowing flavors. Didn’t see your Raveneau but we were looking for Jura wines there.

The Raveneau was on L’Hostellerie des Clos’ list. We drank an '89 Bornard red at Jeunet. Can’t recall if it was Trousseau or Ploussard. We did the full-bore tasting menu (9 courses?) at Jeunet so didn’t have the chicken.

Did the same tasting menu and the chicken was not served there. My brother ordered it a la carte. Just spectacular.

Forgot to mention that the Raveneau Clos was only 109 euros.

Had no plans to go to Arbois, but am now going to make the 100km drive (each way) on your basis that Jeunet is on par with Passage 53 (which I have to miss due to my own tardiness in booking).

Agreed as I was there a couple weeks ago but they really need to keep their wine list up to date. I ordered 4 different bottles only to be told they were out of them. That kind of stuff drives me crazy!

With you 100%, Paul. With each “oh sorry, that vintage is finished,” I’m less and less likely to order something special. I understand that inventory ebbs and flows, but you know what? Keeping up to date is part of the job.

Easy drive to be honest and it is a charming little town. Don’t miss that signature dish with the chicken cooked in the Vin Jaune.

Duly noted. Lolo at Le Dilettante provided some recommendations. I totally understand what you mean by ‘you need to connect with him’ now.

Thanks for this thread, BTW. It has been a wealth of information and resources for me while here.

Great to hear. Lolo is just the best!

Easy drive to be honest and it is a charming little town. Don’t miss that signature dish with the chicken cooked in the Vin Jaune.[/quote]

Duly noted. Lolo at Le Dilettante provided some recommendations. I totally understand what you mean by ‘you need to connect with him’ now.

Thanks for this thread, BTW. It has been a wealth of information and resources for me while here.[/quote]

Great to hear. Lolo is just the best![/quote]

Just back from Arbois. What a lovely little town! I am absolutely taken with it. Jeunet + Houillon = plats et vins des terroir, like few (any?) others. The Bresse chicken in Jeunet beats L’Hotel in Beaune (close fight, in my book) and the Vin Jaune sauce… if they didn’t take the remaining away, I would’ve started chugging it!

Ok. One dinner in burgundy. Where should I go. Food is a bigger deal than wine (as my wife won’t drink) but if I can get cheap coche/raveneau/roulot I’m down for anything. I’m kinda leaning toward Ton Tons?

It’ll be September 1st a tuesday so Aupres is closed (trying to persuade my wife for us to go on the 31st. we’ll see).

Somewhere in walking distance in beaune would be a big +1 but not completely necessary. We’re most likely staying at Le Cep