Best under $45 and $50-$60, 2012 Napa Cabernet

In addition to others already mentioned:
Keenan, Antica, Freemark Abbey

I had the 2012 Phelps Cab Napa yesterday and was really impressed. $70 retail but I bet it’s not hard to find at $60. I would give it about 92-points. I see that both Parker and Galloni also gave it 92-93.

Parker gave 89 (I thought it would be higher as he did like the Insignia and Backus). Most CA stores have it for $55-$60.
I liked the 2010 and for $47 was a good buy at my Costco.

Ruston La Maestra- $ 35-50 depending on if you catch it on sale from the winery or local retailers

Drinkward Peschon
Ramey Claret
Celani Siglo

2 this week that are outstanding for their price points

The 2012 Blankiet Prince of Heart is a serious wine and was a shame to open early but it is all class and just a wonderful wine. Will have to reload on those.

A winery that should get more attention and has a serious portfolio of beautiful wines is Robert Craig. Their 2012 Affinity is real bargain at the club price and the 12 will be very tough to let age. It is open and ready and all class. Their SVD portfolio is in the upper range of this discussion with club discount. Take a look at RP notes on the 12 and give them a shot if your looking for serious wines that are under 3 digits.

Many great options mentioned as well and another nod to Drinkward.

Broman is a great wine in that range.
Jones Sisters is one of the best.
Myriad and Quivet already mentioned.
Steve’s Napa Congruence great too.

Good call!
John does frequent sales

The single best $60 Cabernet I have ever had is Becklyn in 2012. Those lucky enough to be on the list should count their blessings. Those not should sign-up right now. You will thank me at a later date, I promise. :slight_smile:

2011 St. Clement “Oroppas” Napa Valley Bordeaux Blend discounted to $34.99 at K&L (no affiliation to the retailer other than being a happy, long time customer).

If you are in a Ridge club and can buy it, the Ridge Klein is even better for not much more.

Try Stony Hill Cab for around $60, although I have not had the 2012.

Came here to post ridge but see others got there.

In n cal when Safeway has its 30% sale can be had for comfortably sub $40 - better price than if you’re on the list at ridge.

Total value and ages exceptionally - recently had 80s examples which are absolutely singing.

Priest Ranch is by Somerston, right? My local shop expert is a huge fan. I suppose I need to check it out

Had the 2012 Ramey Napa Cab this week and imo a really solid value in the $50 range. Sometimes you can find it around $45 on sale. This is a great choice in the $40-50 category. The 12 is drinking remarkably well right now. I usually prefer these with some age but it was singing with a short decant.

Another recent bottle that impressed was the 2012 Robert Craig Affinity. It’s also in the $45-50 range.

cheers

Wonder if anybody has tried the 2012 St. Clement Armstrong Ranch Cabernet? I understand IWC/Vinous gave it a 95. No comments in CT, so just wonder what any tasters out there have to say.

I see this is a resurrection of an older thread, and that EMH Black Cat was mentioned in the OP as being one in the $50-60 range. The “regular” Black Cat’s actual initial offer price is now $70, and the price goes up as time goes on, based on supply and demand. (Yes, BerserkerDay prices were in the $60-68 range, but that was for releases that were offered at those prices.) The Special Selections are offered at $90, and are for a much smaller production. Library prices go up from there.

The 2013 regular will be offered next Monday; the 2013 Special Selection sailed earlier this year.

Thanks, everyone, for your continued interest!

Definitely agree on Smith Madrone, though they really demand some time sideways.