Best under $45 and $50-$60, 2012 Napa Cabernet

I’m on the Rivers-Marie allocation list and their Cabs are not in the $55-60 range. Even though they’re significantly higher I still think they have a high QPR.

The Rivers-Marie Napa cab comes in just a wee bit high at $65.

I was extremely impressed with a 2009 Jean Edwards “Stagecoach” cab I had recently. Owners are WBers.

I like Stefania, but it’s not Napa, it’s Santa Cruz Mountains (though so is Ridge). Good value, easy to deal with. Definitely a juicy cab rather than an oaky, thick, plush cab.

Hi Ian - my take…
Lot 545 Meteor Vineyard (Coombsville) is my personal favorite - combines power of mountain fruit and richness of a Calistoga (warmer) cab
Lot 525 Stagecoach Vineyard (M5/M6 blocks right between Pritchard Hill and Atlas Peak) if you like a more left-bank meets mountain fruit style with black fruit and earth
Lot 535 Heimark Vineyard (Calistoga) if you like lush fruit bombs - blueberries galore.
Lot 501 Howell Mountain - clasic, archtypal Howell Mountain Cab - big tannins and more of a Stagecoach fruit profile.

These wines are coming up on three months in the bottle and still settling in but their personalities are there. I have a few others coming in about a month (555 Napa Valley and 502 Spring Mountain) but they are really emerging from bottle shock.

Cheers!

Cameron

I just had a visit with David last month. Calluna is and excellent QPR!! Myriad III twins is the QPR of his line up but unfortunately has gone up in $$, thankfully his napa is still $50!

Apparently, as others have pointed out, several of the wines I listed in the $50-60 range have gone up in $$. I was looking at my inventory in cellar tracker, which have the old prices.

Hard part is getting on the list!!!

+2

Good wine year in, year out. $60-65.

Aw thanks Jay - glad you enjoyed the wine!

For those here in the Northeast, the New Hampshire State Liquor Stores are running a sale now though November 1 (as I recall). 10% off a mixed case of 12 bottles. 20% off mixed cases of 24 or more bottles - any size, wine or liquor. I just bought a couple of cases of cheap table wine. That allowed me to stretch up into the $50-60 price range. Rarefied air for me.

Not that anyone following the “Best Napa Cabernet for a bazillion dollar thread” will stoop to read this, but… At 20% off, one could pick up Hillside Select '08 for $176 per. Not going to be me, but maybe someone here. Say, do people who buy Hillside Select even care about a 20% discount? Sigh. I suppose that I will never know. I do wish I had that kind of problem though.

My wife and I were talking on the way home. Her idea was to get a group of people together to buy the requisite two cases of whatever to cross the threshold, then everyone could take advantage of the larger discount. I am full up for the moment, but it is an idea that may appeal to others.

Thanks for the tip on the Neal Cabernet. They had the '08 in stock. Came in at $38.39 each. Below my threshold for pain. I will keep an eye out for the '10. My only concern for buying the '10 was that it was going to be a loooong time before I would be willing to open one to get an idea of what I had picked up. As this is a bit older vintage I will open one of the '08’s next year. Something to look forward to even though I have a feeling it will be very young even then.

Tim

Tim - nice price on the Neal. I haven’t looked at the notes on the 08 but another year or so in bottle would probably help.

$176 for HSS is a great price but there is the cost of the other 23 bottles.

Cheers

Tim - nice price on the Neal. I haven’t looked at the notes on the 08 but another year or so in bottle would probably help.

$176 for HSS is a great price but there is the cost of the other 23 bottles.

Cheers

As I begin looking for a several different 2012 Napa Cabs to cellar, I found this thread. Since a number of months have passed since the last post, I thought a bump was not out of line. Additional discoveries?

Hourglass HGIII. $50 and quite lovely.

Buehler Cabernet Sauvignon for under $25

I’d second Ridge Estate but it is not Napa (or at least I don’t think it is)

I think Saddleback is still at that range as well.

Jason

Ridge Estate Cab is Santa Cruz Mountains appellation. The average price on Wine Searcher is $50, BTW.

Usually under $45 off the shelf in these parts.

Agree with nearly all of the above. Although I had not been a fan of Round Pound before, their 2011 and 2012’s have been really good IMO. The K&K and the Rutherford.

I think the Frog’s Leap Cab is great value, and well within that range.

Pedemonte Cellars is selling their 2012 cab for $36 through their website. Haven’t had the '12, but have greatly enjoyed other vintages. The fruit is from Round Pond.

For whatever reason, this will be their last vintage.