Berserker's Favorites - VOTE - Burgundy Cote de Nuits Red

1: Rousseau, because it’s usually great and I can buy a little
2: de Vogue, because it’s sometimes great and I can buy a little
3: Hudelot Noellat, because the GCs are really good, but the CV, 1ers and Village are excellent value
4: Violot Guillemard, because they are lovely and pure, age well, and I can buy a fair bit
5: Vougeraie, because the wines have character, are usually interesting, and apart from Musigny decent value

Top 5:

DRC
Rousseau
Liger-Belair
Roumier
Leroy

Just missing the cut:

Dujac
Vogue
Rouget
Faiveley

Rauno, V-G isn’t a CdN producer.

this ^^ is perfect

Forgot about a current favorite Tremblay.

nope, it’s Comte…highly allocated Burgs don’t hit W-S unless they are secondary/speculative offers

Dujac. Such breed and purity, with silkiness to match.
Mugnier. Graceful, ethereal, soaring wines.
Drouhin. Outstanding quality for the price, year after year.
Chevillon. Transparent, delicious, surprisingly accessible Cailles and Vaucrains at reasonable price points.
Lamarche. Wonderful, increasingly outstanding wines under Nicole’s direction.

If I could acquire more I would strongly consider:
Mugneret-Gibourg
Barthod
Tremblay
Truchot
Vogue
Roumier

Cheers,
Doug

Fun thread.

1. Mugneret-Gibourg - l love the polish and consistency. They are getting pricey. Like a lot of Burgundy, I’m buying down the hierarchy nowadays and fewer bottles even when I splurge.

2. Dujac - so much silk and I love the aromatics. I’m just drinking these at the lower levels most of the time, but they still deliver.

3. Bouchard - my negotiant pick. I let them sit, so I’ve never had issues with the oak treatment.

4. Bertheau - if I had to drink wine from one place the rest of my life, I’d plant my flag in Chambolle. Bertheau transmits the essence.

5. F. Esmonin - I’m breaking the Fight Club rule on this producer. My second largest holding. I’ll stop there.

I recognize lots of names on the lists above that I’d love to try (DRC, Leroy, Rousseau) and I just haven’t had the opportunity. What makes Burgundy great is even without having had them, I’ve had so many wines I love. I’ve got some Roumier, Lambrays, Clavelier and Hudelot-Noellat and others that are too young to unplug or that I haven’t had enough reps with to comment on.

Rousseau - to me, i think this domaine is the best blend of elegance, power, and rusticity.
Henri Jouan - rustic, edgy…a throwback.
Dujac - incredible consistency, while also capable of hitting the highest of the high notes.
Cecile Tremblay - elegant wines, prices have gotten scary
Jadot - great diversity and consistency

Dujac
Rousseau
Leroy
Roumier
Comte Liger Belair

Well this thread has cost me money!

I realized I was short a bottle of Tremblay for a vertical; only one of the Chapelle left in the US, so had to snag it.

Great find [winner.gif] but more damaging financially than the stock market meltdown.

Rousseau-- great wine; and great “lesser” grand crus at relatively good value.
Roumier-- classic consistent pleasing; always a treat to have one
Mugneret-Gibourg-- great people and nice variety of wines, which make it more interesting. (Had a 2005 G-C villages this week (young vines Ruchottes) that is very primary but delicious.
Patrice Rion (Daniel Rion when Patrice was there until 2001). Great selection/variety, value and finesse; maybe the most consistent producer I know of in good and bad vintages. (For me, the “king” of 1er cru and villages wines…and regional).
Robert Chevillon-- an education in Nuits’ potential and, like their makers, down to earth.

Not really sure of the relative ranking…but these are top 5 “favorite” (whatever that means!) for me. I’d add Rouget to the mix…and.maybe .Hubert Lignier before Romain’s death in 2004?

There have been very few producers listed that I wouldn’t happily drink. Not many sleepers, but there have been a few.

• interesting how much less response there is to this poll than the Cal Cab poll

• interesting how much closer the responses to this poll track to price than the Cal Cab poll (where Screagle was barely mentioned and other $$$ producers like Grace Family didn’t even get a single vote)

1. Dujac
  2. Rousseau
  3. Roumier
  4. Fourrier
  5. Lambrays
  1. DRC
  2. Dujac
  3. Rousseau
  4. Mugneret Gibourg
  5. Liger-Belair

ALT: Hudelot-Noellat and Barthod

All the usual suspects, but the most desired ie DRC, Dujac, Rousseau etc are outside the daily drinkers sphere.

The challenge is to find the sleepers/ value picks that can be consumed on a regular basis. Producers like JM Vincent, lamy, Daniel Rion, Clavelier, Gerard Boulay fit the bill, but increasingly this subset is coming fromn teh Cote de Beaune.

Grivot
Mugneret Gibourg
Hudelot Noellat
Chevillon
Meo

Yeah, all my favorite bargain Burg producers are in the CdB. CdN bargains are hard to find, which is why I think the best bargains in CdN are found from the negociants, plus NSG. In CdB there’s a pretty solid stable of reasonably priced domaines.