Arcadian Retrospective Tasting / Offline in the OC on 7/18

Andy/Tyler - I’ve pasted the list of committed wines to the first post, and will continue to update it as you and others post your contributions. I would suggest prioritizing our contributions to filling in gaps where we only have 1 bottle already committed or helping to fill in a vertical. Having said that, it is up to you to determine what you want to bring, and feel free to offer up wines you would most enjoy seeing represented at the tasting.

Ok I will order and add the following.

2005 Dierborg Pinot (1-bottle): so we’ll have 2 as Gregg is bringing one
and
2005 Fiddlestix (2 bottles): that way we have more than just the 2001 Fiddlestix for a comparison.

Awesome - thanks, Andy. I’ve updated the list in post 1.

For those needing a place to rest their heads, you might try the Ayres Hotel. Yelp lists it at 1.7 miles from my place. Ayres Hotels | Southern California Hotels It’s right off the 5 Fwy, so easy to get to.

It’s across from UCI Medical Center, just in case.

It’s across from what used to be called The Block, but it’s now an outlet place with decent shops, movie theaters, and some restaurants.

You’re within pissing distance of Disneyland.

But most compelling is that Anepalco’s restaurant is in the hotel. Chef Daniel is classically trained, so it’s a Mexican fusion approach. His breakfasts, especially the chilaquiles, are outstanding. Breakfast may be included with your room. He has two other restaurants, one the original Aneplaco’s, the other a food stall in 4th Street Market in DTSA (definitely worth checking out 4th Street Market while you are in town), and a new place about to open across from Playground, also in DTSA. These are about 1.5 miles from the house.

There are some more upscale hotels near South Coast Plaza, which is about 5 miles from the house.

If anyone wants to do their own search, send me a PM, and I’ll send my address so you can get oriented.

Put me down for 07 SH Pn, 07 SH Ch and 08 SH Ch

I can add more if needed if there are still some holes to be had

FYI,
Don’t use the above link. It takes you to another of their hotels ALO, which is sold out on that date. There is no way to check the actual Ayres hotel webpage/availability from it. The Orange location is also sold out on that weekend. Here is the Anahiem AYRES location which has openings. Jim, is that close to your house?

Sorry for the bad link. Not sure how that happened.

The location above is also close. 3 miles, right off the 57 fwy. Across from the Honda Center.
Across the fwy from Angel Stadium. And right by the Metrolink/Amtrac station.

Noted - and thank you, sir!

I like the idea of nominating bottlings we most love. With that in mind, I’ll bring the '06 Max and the '02 Pisoni.

But, as I said before, I’ll happily swap one or both of those out for any other bottling we need to fill-out verticals.

Thanks…Looking forward to this event. My +1 will be my wife Diana. I am going go through some inventory to see where I can supply bottles to fill in on the 2 bottle theme.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Wow! It looks like a great evening! Please put me and +1 on the wait list. I would need to either trade someone for a couple of bottles or get Joe to sell me a couple. I’ve been meaning to try these for a while now but the inertia of too many bottles of California Pinot Noir and too many bottles of California Chardonnay have kept me from pulling the trigger. I am reluctant to put my name on another wine list since I don’t think I’ll live long enough to drink all the wine I have already! (our kids can fend for themselves) That feeling doesn’t include all the lists that I just can’t seem to make myself drop. [snort.gif]

Anyway, it would be lots of fun to join you all so I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Dennis

Brian - I’ve added your contributions to the list in post 1, and am glad you’re keeping to the spirit of focusing on wines you want to see represented. Thanks!

Marshall - I’ve updated your “+1” to properly reflect Diana’s attendance.

Dennis - I’ve added you and your +1 to the wait list, and you’ll be the first to know if we get some movement on the attendees to make room for you both. Having said that, my folks live down in your neck of the woods, and I’ll be happy to share a bottle of Arcadian together sometime so you can “try before you buy.”

had an 00 pisoni last night in a blind flight with 01/05/08 Dujac CLDR. Completely held up in the flight. Can’t wait for this dinner.

Please bring the Dujac so the rest of us have a chance to opine. :astonished:

pretty sure the organizer said no burgundy allowed neener

To be clear, I said we should let the focus remain on Arcadian for this event…not “no burgundy allowed.” :slight_smile:

BTW - the '00 is my favorite Pisoni, as I think it is the prettiest/most delicate expression of the site. Where many of the other vintages showcase the raspberry fruits that I associate with the vineyard, the '00 shows great florals and seems perfectly balanced. Glad to read it held it’s own within the flight.

Hi Rick,
I have to bow out from this offline due to family gathering on the same weekend.
Sorry about this and hopefully We can meet in person in near future offline.
Thank you and have a great weekend.

Andre Mulyono

I guess this means I need to get serious about getting an Arcadian! Any suggestions on what Joe might have available that everyone would like to try? Or I could trade if you all want something with some age. I look forward to seeing everyone.

Folks, we are close to 2 weeks out on this event. Some details. I assume Rick will want to finalize the wines. I need to look thru what I have and offer up some bottles.

1. Please bring your own stems. My wife will kill me if she has to do a ton of washing. If you are flying in, you’re exempt.

2. I’m going to cook up some carne asada like last time. There will be salsas and stuff, too. There will be an Honor Jar so you can each throw in $5 for the meat, tortillas, etc. If you have Honor, you will do so. If not, f*ck you. Joe is exempt!

3. Bring a side, cheese, guacamole whatever. But no grilling stuff. We want to keep it simple. This isn’t Falltacular!!

4. I’ll have a container for the whites, but if a couple of someones will grab a bag of ice on the way in (there’s a Smart & Final nearby), that would be cool.

5. I think we just kept drinking last time, switching to tequila (this being Santa Ana and all) after the wine. If you bring bourbon, rye, tequila, gin, sherry, PORT, your contribution will, I’m sure, be appreciated.

6. If you need my address, PM me. If you think you know my address, make sure its not the one on Candis. You’ll be SOL there. I’m sorry I can’t offer up any sleeping space, so drink in moderation, or take the time to sober up if you are not spitting.

OK. See everyone on the 18th.

Since I’m ubering from 50 miles away can you provide me stems? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: