Arcadian Retrospective Tasting / Offline in the OC on 7/18

Hi Rick,
Could you please add my name to waitlist.
Thanks

Andre Mulyono

I, too, would prefer to go with doubling-up on bottles, if possible. Looking at the current list of attendees, I’d be willing to bet this won’t be a problem whatsoever, as many attendees have fairly deep libraries of Arcadian wine. I feel that the “ideal” number of people/bottle for events such as these is 8 — that’s a 3oz pour for everyone; less than 2oz per wine per person is kind of ridiculous, imo. YMMV.

I’d be down with that, and I’m sure it would be incredibly easy to produce two bottles of any '05 that we want there, so that’s an added bonus. I’d fully expect the '05s to benefit from a long decant ahead of time, however.

If there’s room, I could bring 2005 Dierberg PN.

I agree with Brian I think double of each bottle will be best to get an actual pour of each wine. I took a quick looked at the list and I am pretty sure I have at least one of everything on it (plus some older gems that I would be happy to share).

Also, when I spoke with Joe he said that he would fill in any bottles that were needed. [cheers.gif]

Andre and Gregg - I’ve added you both to the wait list…hang in there while we figure things out a bit.

Brian and Bryan - thanks for both chiming in and adding your thoughts. I like the idea of trying to double up on bottles and, given the lack of dissention from the others, I say let’s move forward with that as our plan since it gives us the opportunity to include more people.

With that in mind, let me start by throwing a list of wines out to the group I’m willing to contribute to the event. This is just a first crack, and subject to change as needed. All of these are single bottles, though I can substitute some in/out as others share their lists and can also double up on most of them if need be in order to fill in holes. I guess what I’m looking for is to see where we get trying to match up bottles and what kind of focus we can/should start zeroing in on.

2000 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Chardonnay
2005 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Chardonnay
2006 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Chardonnay
2007 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Chardonnay

1999 Arcadian Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir
2001 Arcadian Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir
2005 Arcadian Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir
2001 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Pinot Noir
2005 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Pinot Noir
2001 Arcadian Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot Noir
2001 Arcadian Francesca’s Cuvée Pinot Noir
2005 Arcadian Clos Pepe Vineyard Pinot Noir

I’m in for the 99 Pisoni and 01 Fiddle

I will bring an old gem that’s not on the list [wink.gif]

I have (2) 2005 Pisoni PN’s to bring.
With this new format are we bringing 2 bottles per person? [drinkers.gif]

Hi Mike - good question. I don’t think we should put the expectation out there that each person needs to bring 2 bottles of wine. The real intent of doubling up the individual bottles is to make sure we have enough wine for the size group that we’re trending towards in a way that gives everyone a decent pour. Having said that, I have a lot of Arcadian (by far my largest holding of any single producer) and am very excited to recreate a broad tasting of the wines like we did 6.5 years ago and plan to contribute at least a case of wine to the cause. This means I can cover some of the folks who don’t have any Arcadian, or those who can’t/don’t feel comfortable bringing more than a bottle or two. I guess that is a long-winded way of saying bring what you want to contribute and know that there’s going to be plenty of wine for the group, but the goal is to have 2 bottles of each individual wine in the verticals so everyone in attendance gets a decent ~3ish ounce pour. Make sense?

Perfect explanation. Really looking forward to this. Now, it is time to find a hotel near Chez Dietz.

Are we going to include Syrah?

Below is a preliminary list of wines I will contribute to the tasting. I do have other Arcadian wines so these are not set in stone if we need a match so we have two bottles of a particular wine. If others have a match I have some older Max, Francesca and Jill’s.

01 Garys’ Pinot
01 Pisoni Pinot
05 Sleepy Hollow Pinot
05 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay
TBD bottle
TBD bottle

Brian - absolutely, the syrahs can/should be included. Admittedly I am less deep on those though, like Ryan, I do have a few singles I can contribute/fill gaps with.

Ryan - thanks for posting your list of potential contributions.

Based on what has been posted thusfar in the thread, here is how I see the breakdown of wines committed to date:

2000 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay x1 (Rick Joyer)
2005 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay x2 (Ryan Johnson/Rick Joyer)
2006 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay x1 (Rick Joyer)
2007 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay x1 (Rick Joyer)

1999 Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir x2 (Bryan Cottriel/Rick Joyer)
2001 Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir x2 (Ryan Johnson/Rick Joyer)
2005 Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir x2 (Mike Stoneking)

2001 Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Pinot Noir x1 (Rick Joyer)
2005 Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Pinot Noir x2 (Ryan Johnson/Rick Joyer)

2001 Fiddlestix Vineyard Pinot Noir x2 (Bryan Cottriel/Rick Joyer)

2000 Francesca’s Cuvee Pinot Noir x1 (Charlie Fu)
2001 Francesca’s Cuvée Pinot Noir x1 (Rick Joyer)

2005 Clos Pepe Vineyard Pinot Noir x1 (Rick Joyer)

2005 Dierberg Pinot Pinot Noir x1 (Gregg Greenbaum)

2001 Garys’ Pinot Noir x1 (Ryan Johnson)

Late to the party as usual…any chance of still attending? Please put me +1 on the wait list. flirtysmile

Thanks!
Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

aight i just re-signed up for their wine club. It says I’m getting 00 Francesca , so consider that my contribution for now. Will see what else I get in the 4 pack.

I have at least two bottles of the following, except where noted. I’d happily bring anything we need or want.

Hi Marshall - I moved you, your +1 and the other wait listers into the confirmed attendee list, so you’re good to go. This means everyone who has expressed interest is officially “in.” I’ll start a new wait-list now, and will put those folks into the event as cancellations come up.

Noted - and I’ve updated my list above to include your '00 Francesca’s Cuvee Pinot.

Hey Mr Dietz (or others who know where in Santa Ana the Dietz compound resides) - I’ve been asked for nearby lodging recommendations to suggest to our out-of-towners traveling in for the event. What hotels might you offer up to the group as options to consider as folks look to finalize their travel logistics? I know options abound in the greater Santa Ana area, so am looking for close-by and convenient for everyone to get back to via taxi, Uber or other means. Suggestions?

Hyatt and an uber is all I need.

Here is what I have, if none of these work I’m happy to buy something from Joe’s extensive library.

2008 Arcadian Chardonnay Sleepy Hollow Vineyard
2007 Arcadian Chardonnay Sleepy Hollow Vineyard
2005 Arcadian Chardonnay Sleepy Hollow Vineyard
2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard
2008 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard
2007 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard
2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard
2006 Arcadian Syrah Stolpman Vineyard

I’ll need to source from someone going that has and wants to sell to me or I can get from retail. Looks like Benchmark has a moderate selection of Pinots and Syrah (if we’re doing those too as I saw it mentioned).

Benchmark has;
PINOT
Pisoni - 2006, 2005, 2008
Dierborg - 2005
Sleepy Hollow - 2007
Fiddlestix - 2005

SYRAH;
Purisima Mountain Vineyard - 2005
Stolpman - 2005

Most of these they have at least 2 bottles of, except for the 2005 Pisoni.

Let me know what I should get.