Any Experts on Old Alsatian Wine?

Inspired by this thread, I just got

Capture 2.JPG
for €3,85 a pop.

I’ll post a TN later.

It’s not like you to rub it in our faces… [wink.gif]

Seriously, this Garagiste marketing ploy reminds me of P.T. Barnum or the Wizard of Oz. Come to think of it, it seems like the internet version of what Pieroth did in the 70s with their direct marketing of “obscure” German and Austrian wines.

Harry,

It’s just that I don’t get the chance to drink $85 wines so often--------- [snort.gif]

I didn’t buy, but I am pissed for you guys!

Henry,

I was thinking that your avatar is a perfect metaphor for this Garagiste “deal.” Rimmerman has become the Dulcamara of our time.

I am saving the 61 Eiswein for wine geek friends but I removed the capsule from the 78 Spatlese and cleaned off the mold. My daughter got married yesterday and we planned to eat leftovers from the Friday rehearsal dinner tonight. I plan to open it for better or worse. Might as well see if this and the Hugel are drinkable. Wish me luck.

This. I have never subscribed to his list, but a friend forwarded the e-mail to me for my entertainment. All I could think about was how much Alzinger or Donnhoff or Peter Lauer people could buy for that money. Shit, you could buy two bottles of current release Egon Muller Spatlese for that. But the funniest thing about it to me was that he gave almost no information about the wines generally, and absolutely no information about what you would get if you bought. It’s worse than playing the lottery - with the lottery, you can at least figure out your chances of winning and quantify what you get if that happens.

The 78 Spatlese was drinkable but has definitely seen better days. Loads of petrol and some remaining fruit but not exciting enough to drink a second glass. I have had numerous library selections from wineries and have had a number of poorly stored Rieslings that I bought in the 1970’s in DC and the provenance is much closer to the former than the latter. I will try the Hugel later this week and cross my fingers that the Eiswein makes the purchase not a total bust.

Nobody else bold or crazy enough to open a bottle? I am going to chance the 75 Hugel later this week.

On another board, Jon (or someone purporting to be Jon) has offered refunds on these purchases, if the customer wants one:

hi Everyone, thanks for all the feedback on the German 3 packs – conditions were tough packing these up due to the hurricane so no worries if you want to have them picked up and credited, I’ll drink them myself – too many fun wines to miss out on! Let Lwam or Melisa know you want them picked up and we’ll get you a credit straight-away – have a great day!

Hurricane? In Seattle?

Same here.

[shrug.gif]

The wines were shipped from DC I believe.

I would love a credit based on what I received…what a complete joke.

Absolutely!! I swore of garagiste 4-5 years ago. I would not spend a dime there, let alone take a shot on blind OLD wines. I hope you guys get lucky here. Please post notes. It is interesting to watch though.

Hey, if people want to get in on a mystery case from Jon, you can save on shipping and pick up your wine all over the shore lines of NJ/NY/CT…I’m sure he will have a bunch of wines for you from there in a few months. Ugh!

Which board?

I’m gobsmacked at the prices asked and paid for these wines. None of the bottles depicted looks better than a $20 chancer and that’s probably being generous. When a wine is modest to begin with, why would it age into something great? This guy sounds like a real old school spiv.

I received mine the other day:

1959 Neustadter Klosterberg Spalese Gewurtraminer

1969 Grand Vin d’alsace Traminer Hugel

1983 Jubile Hugel Alsace Gewurztraminer Reserve

If anyone knows anything about the above it would be great to hear from you - thanks