2016 Dujac: Semi love letter

is this like when someone posted a wine note and the first reply was you turning into a discussions of ethics by the winemaker ;p

The Dujac sounds like a perfect match for your mood and meal! It sounds like you have deep experience with burgundy for the Dujac to be a modest choice (making me salivate over your cellar). Your description is making me wish I’d gotten some of the Flannery beef at WB15 after all …
I’m curious about your original expectation about this Dujac? And, what was it that you think made it exceed your expectations? And then - if you’d been thinking to go with a big celebration-level wine from your cellar, what would you have gone with instead?

@maureen_nelson, I’m going to remember that … the fewer the people, the better the bottle should be. This is going to justify some happy choices sitting with the hubs having bread and cheese! :grin:

1 Like

Well played, Charles. You got me. Total case of the kettle calling the pot black … :kissing_heart:

Thank you Larry for sharing that info from Jeremy.

MSD is a “little bit country, a little bit rock n roll” … if it’s not Chambolle and it’s not Gevrey, it must be MSD!

1 Like

Kerry:

When I popped the wine I expected something a bit leaner and darker fruited. I thought it would be “stricter” if that makes sense.

If it were a special night, I’d grab the 2001 Clos St Denis from the cellar. I love how that vintage is drinking right now. The CSD, to me, is Dujac’s most ethereal wine … a bit of pixie dust on it.

2 Likes

I paid $90.00 a bottle for this wine in 2020. Current auction pricing is $175.00 according to cellartracker

You’re looking at the village one, not the 1er Cru. The one in this thread is:

Wine Market Journal quarterly auction price: Dujac Morey St. Denis 1er Cru - 750ml @ $308.85

Saratoga is selling this in six pack pre-arrival for $343 a bottle, they are the only US retailer with it on WSPro.

But little doubt, with Burgundy price escalation on top of general high inflation, I’m sure almost everyone who has this in their cellar paid a whole lot less at the time, and no doubt, that colors the perception and the feeling about when to open one.

1 Like

how about I meet you both in the middle? Love the thought pattern, Matthew, and take your point, Chris. A close friend of mine, he’s a total Burg lover. Whenever I visit with him, I’ll sometimes bring him a Cali PN or Chard that I do want him to try, and he’s open to it and sometimes likes them a lot. This past Sunday? I had a last bottle of 2015 Francois Lumpp Givry Les Brulees that we popped and poured. We let it sit in the glass for a total of 3 hours and it kept developing and beautifying as it went. Simply fantastic nose full of bright berries with chestnut, earth and even sweetmeat adds. The palate starts out a bit forward, but settles in with time in the glass and ends up being a mouthful of just lovely red Burg. Is it Chambertin? We both agree it is not Chambertin. Was it a lovely example of Givry and pinot noir? Yes, we both agree it was. I think I paid USD 45 for this.

(BTW, we paired this with a 2006 Tsarine BdB that he paid $40 for and that is simply superb drinking right now)

It did help that he had the Zalto pinot/Burg glasses to put it in :wine_glass:

Chuckle (and slight tanjink). My own saying: “The early bird gets the worm. The early bird is also the first one the cat sees when it’s breakfast time.”

1 Like

Hi Matthew, thanks for the note, I love Dujac and have beenfortunate to be able to buy it before the prices really took off.

This is the part of your note where you “went off the rails” - a tiny bit anyway. :smiley:

Dujac is an absolute superstar and his wines are very sought after. For me there is no “minor star” in the range.

I understand your thought process but also you should not be too surprised at some the reactions for such a famous Domaine being referred to as a casual Sunday night wine

Cheers and keep drinking them on Sunday nights!

Brodie

1 Like

Givry Chambertin as a compromise?

Fixed it for you. :wink:

Also, I peppered my note with plenty of qualifiers — relatively and “modest” in quotes — indicating I know these wines are now in rarefied air. But now I’m sounding defensive again. :joy:

2 Likes

I confess I got strong Mitt Romney energy from this thread :laughing:

But, do you have binders of this unheralded wine!?!

I wish!

That’s a compromise I can get behind, counsellor. :grin:

1 Like