2015 West Coast Weather & Vintage Thread

It’s been a sunny dry January in Salinas, too. There was talk of some pretty good storms in February, but it looks like they’ve pulled those from the long term forecast for the most part. My small patch of grass is looking like it will need water in the winter again (I’ve been thinking about tearing it out) and there’s talk of vines weeping in Greenfield and some young vines starting to bud out.

Got some interesting info from an old south county grower about the east paso water supply. He said that the water they’re pulling out down there got carbon dated at a million years. Not sure what his source was, but if so it portends some major difficulties down south. Nacimiento resevoir still sits at less than 5% despite Decembers strong storms. All in all, a pretty dire looking situation should we not close the season strong.

Carbon dating is only accurate to about 35,000 years. The dating is probably stratigraphic from the aquifer’s geologic formation.

I’m not liking this warm, dry weather one bit. Pruning wounds are starting to weep and I saw some fat buds this week. We need another dose of winter soon.

I’m not pruning yet. We need rain, preferably every day when I am in NYC [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] .

The weather is warm and mild. I have been in the car up and down and across Valley too much this week, and I have not seen that many active pruning crews. It’s going on, but not heavily.

The mustard has arrived here, and there is nothing more beautiful than the corner lot - down the street - with head-trained, non-irrigated, field blends of PS and Zin. I took a photo, but I can get a better one and get someone to post for me. I am still a technological dunce, and am likely to stay that way. Other things to do that interest me.

Glad that the west coast received some welcome rain at the end of 2014 to give you all a little cushion going into 2015. Now it seems that cushion is quickly evaporating. [swearing.gif] Let it rain! [cheers.gif]

Jim,

Always great to see your interest in this thread! We’re still here working the ground and making great wines from the ground up!

December was a great start. January has had virtually no rain and the warm temperatures in the Sierras meant some of the precipitation fell as rain and much of the snow has melted. It’s definitely not good for much of the state at this point.

-Al

I’ve got budbreak!

Well in the black oak trees around my house! A sure sign that things are moving. We still have a sh_tload of pruning left to do. With some luck the 10 day forecast is right and about a week out brings a weather change. Fingers and toes crossed!

Occidental today.
image.jpg

Crazy! When was the first budbreak in the same vineyard/block last year?

Casey, thanks for your note. As many have said, this is a great blog and I have enjoyed participating (in a very small way) for several years now. It’s been good to read your many reports and anecdotes over the years, and also good to see that your wine own operation has been expanding, with new vinyards being planted, and likely new clients banging at your door day and night! [wink.gif] Just hope the weather cooperates over the next 10 weeks with more rain to set you all up for the 2015 growing season.

Btw, looking back at 2014, what are your thoughts on some of the wines that you and others produced in 2014 and how does 2014, at this early stage, compare with other recent vintages?

PS- hope you stay cold and wet - rather than warm and dry (at least when you go outside)…

I saw some almond trees in bloom yesterday, and the acacia trees are out. Hmm. 6 weeks til budbreak? It’s hot out there, and dry. Mid 70s the last couple of afternoons, but the nights still get cold and frosty.

We need rain, and lots of it. Please.

I tasted my 2014 barrels in mid December for the first real in-depth look. A lot of fruit, and very showy. Only a few months in barrel, but very, very exciting. A week ago I pulled a small sample of one of the new barrels and, predictably, it was fruit and oak!

Posting for Merrill…

Thanks, Andy.

This was just shot with my smart phone a couple of hours ago. That is self-sowing mustard in the young Frediani vineyard just across the way. Diamond Mountain in the distance. It hit 80 degrees here this afternoon. We need cooler and rainier than this, but who can deny such beauty?

Hey Merrill, I see you now have a avatar. Still can’t manage to post your own pictures yet? Isn’t there a community college around to take a computer class? ;>)!!!

Don’t want to. I do what I am good at and interested in. End of story.

And yes, that is me at 22 in my avatar. At least my avatar has some relation to me…to who is posting.

But did you like the photo of the mustard against the naked vines- regardless of how it got there? [wow.gif]

As much as this past month of dry weather has caused me heartburn, we’ve been able to get a bunch of work done. We changed mower blades from grass to brush and have been getting a bunch of brush mowed. Its gonna be slow going when its time to mow the cover crop rows!
mow_brush.jpg

Looks like another atmospheric river is pointed at Norther California for this coming weekend but with a very stark border to the south. Will be curious to see how much the Central Coast gets from this. Not being in the business I would have to think that these wild swings of dryness and then quick hard dumps of rain are not east to manage. I mean I’m sure it is better than no rain, but flooding isn’t healthy either.

Well, well, well the forecast for our area is over 5 inches. Should be exciting. Note to self: thaw out an elk roast…its stew time baby!

Sounds like the latest forecast is for at least 5 inches over 4 days, starting Thursday? That would be fantastic! Except my gutters need to be cleaned, now that all the leaves are finally off the trees, and the pine needles have blown in. Yes, it’s time.

The hydrangeas in the yard have leafed out, and the peach trees have swelling buds. Heck - we’ll be harvesting by August 15!