2014 California Cabs

It’s been a while since i had a Ridge but isn’t it more like a Bordeaux wine ?

I guess it depends entirely on what you mean by that. If by the comparison, you are suggesting more restraint, moderate alcohol and something other than just a pure, ripe fruit profile, I would say yes. Very few Bordeaux use American oak, as far as I know, while Ridge does. American oak leaves an imprint on a wine that is dramatically different than what French oak does. If you like this imprint, then Ridge may be for you. I love many Ridge bottlings, but wish they would use less new American oak, and would really love to see them use French oak on one of the Cab bottlings. The 2013 Ridge Estate Cab is an excellent recommendation, but it does need time and it is a bit heavy on the new oak.

Yes, I meant like Bordeaux in the sense it’s not a forward fruit bomb as some cabs.

Just to deviate form the cabs, any good recommendations on Rose’s? I’m from NY and there’s a nice one produced in Long Island called Summer in a Bottle.

I guess I am old enough to think of fruit bombs as a stylistic choice and not a part of the DNA of California wines. The classic California wines of the 70s and 80s were not fruit bombs.

I usually like Chappellet Mountain Cuvee as a good value, but the 2014 tasted like an oak bomb to me. Was it just me?

True the cabs from the 90’s and before were not as fruity as those since.

Theres a recent thread on Roses. Search is your friend. Would search and post the link to the thread but Can’t do it easily on my phone

cheers