2014 California Cabs

I’ll have to sign back up on WTSO, it was getting overwhelming so I took a pause with them.

If you have never had wines from Ridge, run (don’t walk) to your local wine store and start buying. IMHO, it is the best winery in America. Their Geyserville and Lytton Springs Zins are my favorite Zins. Their Montebello is my favorite Cabernet and their regular Cabernet is the closest thing I know of in California to a value Cabernet. In other words, I think highly of Ridge’s wines.

Cheers will send an email to a shop I deal with for fine wines and get back to you if they have any Ridge and the prices.

Hi Ralphf, Agree with Howard on Ridge, its a core part of my cellar.

Have pulled a few corks from the 14 Venge Silencieux for 40-ish (with case discount) and plan to pick up more.

Have not seen the 14s yet but recently picked up for about $30 quantities of 2013 Hall “Napa” and 2013 Hess “Block 19”. Will buy the 14s when they show up.

Hi Terry D,

Thanks, will check into the Venge and Hess. I like the Hall!

Hi Howard Cooper,

My shop has the 2014 Geyserville 750 for $35 and 375 for $20, good numbers?

Made by Matt Dees who does Jonata. Good winemaker.

I’d also suggest, if the original poster is open to bordeaux blends, and if you can locate it, the Vogelzang Meritage drinks way above its pricepoint.

Here are CellarTracker prices. You don’t seem far off. http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/ridge+geyserville+zinfandel+alex+valley+sonoma+county+north+coast+california+usa/2014/usa

For more on Ridge, see Which RIDGE are you drinking? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Let us know how you like the wine. Good luck.

Thanks Howard, I’m right in there. I’ll get some 1/2 bottles to try as my wife doesn’t like red and go from there.

Will let you know!

+1 on Ridge - hard to find better wines, unless you really know what style you’re going for. Napa produces and tolerates a number of winemaking style. I think Howard and I both tend to go for moderately restrained wines that can age for a long time. That is not necessarily the dominant style of Cab though…

Actually pretty inexpensive for many Sta Rita Hills pinots these days. Which ones are you looking it?

Cheers.

The '12 Paring is an excellent QPR. One of my favorites in the low $20’s price range.

$44 Turley fab Cab.

Jean Edwards Stagecoach 2013 to hold and 2014 to drink.

Thanks for the mention Khoi. Agree with you on the vintages - we presented some of the 2014’s to a few accounts this week and they are certainly not as muscular as 2013 but bigger fruit profile than 2012. I am liking the vintage a lot.

I think that depends on your taste. I’ve consumed 25+ 2013 Napa Cabs, across a broad range of prices including $150+ and have found most if not all to be young and unresolved. More specifically I think this vintage is more austere, tannic and acidic than the previous vintage and thus will require significant aging before we know for sure what we’ve got.

Thanks Dave, seems like we have to lay the 13’s down for a bit

I’ve tried the 11 and 12 parings, but not the 13s yet. Never let me down for the price.

Dave, thanks for your comment. I’ve been doing this since the '82 vintage and the '13’s show more balance and less oak sicne possibly the '96’s. As Jim Kramer might say…Buy buy buy…

Jeff

When you say the 13s show less oak since the 96s, are you being specific to Ridge or talking more generally. If more generally, how does a vintage show more or less oak? If you are talking about Ridge, you two are talking past each other because you are talking about Ridge and Dave is talking about Napa Cabernets. As I am sure you know, Ridge’s Cabernet is not from Napa and there can be severe vintage differences, for example 2011 where Ridge made very nice wines in more difficult vintage for Napa. Also, generalizations about a vintage often do not apply to each wine from the vintage, esp. with respect to estates like Ridge or, for example, Stony Hill, etc., which really make wines in a different style from a typical California Cab.