2013 Post IPNC Tasting of 2004 OR Pinot at Matello

I understand your monastic vow to poverty, Marcus. It’s all of the hob-nobbing Berserkers that I am questioning. I’ve been drinking through the stuff I collected in the early years and back-filling is difficult to do because the wines rarely surface on the market. I’m just surprised that the Oregon fans here don’t have deeper cellars.

Richard if you are looking to pair a single up and need help, let me know what you’re looking for. I can certainly contribute even if I can’t make the entire tasting.

Cheers,
fred

If we were to go to earlier vintages, I think people may be able to find bottles but they may be the same bottles.

I don’t know the numbers off hand but there were far fewer Oregon producers in 2001 than there are today and even fewer as you go back through the 1990’s.

If we wanted to do earlier vintages (perhaps 3 vintages seperated into 3 flights) I could come up with paired bottles for a few back vintages, 1989 (2 producers), 1994 (3 producers), 1996 (1 producer), 1998 (2 producers), 2000 (1 producer) and singles from others…but they are almost all from the same producers

Fred
I have a lot of Oregon Pinot, not a much as some folks I know, but over 500 bottles is a lot. Generally I prefer to drink my Oregon Pinot in the 7 to 10 year range. I believe that what Oregon does best is provide a wine that has lots of fresh fruit flavors. I would rather drink them when I can still enjoy those flavors. I have a few things in my cellar back to 1998, but they are mostly singles where finding another would be extremely difficult.

Frankly, if we are going to taste really old wines, it might be more interesting to do several short verticals (say 1998 to 2002 for four to six producers) rather than a general survey of a 12 to 15 year old vintage.

Good idea!

Moving on to the next planning phase. Please send me a PM with the following:

1. Your name(s)
  2. Email
  3. The wine you plan to bring and have 2 bottles of (per person).
  4. If you don’t have 2 bottles of any '04 Oregon Pinot, a list of your singleton bottles.
  5. If you have more than enough wine and are willing to share some, a list of your 04s that you would be willing to sell/trade/donate (please specify). This is a nice way to possibly “improve” the overall selection.
  6. If you have no '04 Oregon Pinot, there is a tradition of bringing Champagne to warm up (and/or cool down) with. 2 - 3 bottles or a magnum (instead of the 2 Pinots) could be a nice substitution. Probably limit this to 2 attendees as an alternative. Everyone is welcome to bring extra Champagne!
  7. If you have no '04 Oregon Pinot and wish to buy/trade for some.

Steve, let me know if you want to help with coordinating this list.

RT

Thanks for all the PMs. We’re making good progress. I’ve updated the main page with confirmed pairs (or Magnums) and wine selection status.

Approximately five attendees (so far) have a broad selection of pairs and singletons to choose from, as well as extras to trade, sell or possibly donate. I believe Ron F and Mark C are looking for assistance and I’ll be sending PMs with suggestions.

RT

count me in please. PM sent.

Will send PM tomorrow with pertinent info. Sorry for the delay.

Everything is moving along nicely. Wine responses and attendees updated on Page 1. The first 36 slots are filled.

If you haven’t PMed, please provide your wine choice(s) and let me know. I’ll be reaching out to get more wine decisions in the near future. Based on the many people with extra 04 bottlings, there’ll be numerous fine options for everyone without enough. As selections are confirmed, it’ll be possible to make specific suggestions.

RT

anyone want to cancel so my wife can join?

Easy Paul, I expect things will work out.

We’re getting very close to assigning all of the individual bottlings. A very little bit of sourcing left and we’ll be set. I’ll soon PM or email those with multiple bottlings about which one to bring.

RT

If Paul needs an extra spot and one doesn’t arise, he can have mine.

Thanks! I’m sure they will too, I just wanted to see if I could force a hand.

Thanks for all the leg work Richard.

Full house with 38 total on the list. Welcome Fred!

Everything is shaping up wine-wise. A couple more details…

Matello will be open for Pre-IPNC wine drop offs on Wed and Thurs from 10 - 5pm. For other times, you should contact Marcus/Matello in advance. He and his staff will be plenty busy due to presenting at IPNC. Please plan to have your wines on-site before or no later than 12:30 Monday. We’d prefer not to hold up the show for frantic wrapping/blinding.

Matello will provide a few pre-tasting sips. There’ll also be food. A few volunteers for BYO snacks would be nice (as in past years) but NOT a requirement.

The wine list is diverse including a fair number of board favs. Really looking forward to it!

RT

Thanks for all your work, Richard! As someone who hasn’t had many 2004’s, I’m wondering if anyone wants to throw out some predictions of what they think about 2004 and how the wines will show, typical characteristics, etc. I do recall Jim Anderson saying he wasn’t a fan of the vintage but others like Steven Miller telling me he quite liked it.

Greetings everybody–

On Sunday 7/28 my wife and I would like to host a BBQ at our vineyard. Certainly welcome to attend would be any of the participants of the 04 tasting, as well as their family, friends, dogs, kids etc. (also open to berserkers who can’t make the 04 tasting!). I would need a head-count (roughly) a few days ahead of time so you can PM me or simply add to this thread with an affirmative or otherwise. We’d ask locals to bring a side dish (such as salad, veggies, fruit, dips, desserts, whatever you want to share) and wine. Out of towners do not have to worry about bringing food, but wine is always welcome. We generally provide the ‘protein’ (grilled chicken or burgers…nothing too fancy) but feel free to attend to your own dietary needs (grill available for everybody’s use). No specific wine theme–just interesting wines. We’ll probably start around 1 PM and go until dark…there’s usually a bonfire going by the end of the evening. We’ll have a lot of glasses there but if locals are able to bring their own stems that would certainly help!

There will certainly be many other folks there from the Portland community – it’s always a fun, engaging, relaxing afternoon. We hope you can join us.

Armstrong Vineyard
16800 Lewis Rogers Lane
Newberg, OR

Thanks Doug! I’m a strong maybe, and I will confirm my attendance (and that of my wife’s) a few days beforehand.

My wife and I will be there, along with Paul W. and his wife. Looking forward to it Doug!

I mentioned this to Doug Tunnell tonight. I suspect he and Melissa are strong maybes. Jan and I will be there with beer.