2013 Post IPNC Tasting of 2004 OR Pinot at Matello

He’ll need some time.

Absolutely. It might take a week for Jim to recover from Tucson.

RT

Pease add Ken Pahlow to the list.

Slightly off-topic … Last month during my business trip to Portland, at the suggestion of our server at Paley’s, I enjoyed very much a bottle of Mr. Goodfellow’s 2010 Matello Pinot Noir, “Whistling Ridge Vineyard, Ribbon Ridge.” It was my introduction to Matello and, as I discussed with Michael Alberty afterwards, I was really impressed! When I finally get around to spending time again in the neighborhood, I hope to visit!

Cheers!
Andrew

I’m in if there is still room

Just 2 days and we’ve hit the 30 mark. There’ll likely be room for a few more. I know Marcus is reaching out to some winemakers. Based on past experience, there’re always a few cancellations.

Great to see the Oregon Pinot enthusiasm. [cheers.gif]

RT

I am looking forward to the report. Haven’t tasted many 04s in quite awhile and was wondering if I needed to get on top of drinking them.

May as well add a plus 1 to me…I am trying to get my Sis In Law to come with, she’s the winemaker at Kramer Vyds.

I have been meaning to create this thread and manage the list of wines. Been too damn busy with other things I guess.

I will be there.

We need to label this as a Bob Wood memorial event since we created this based on his inspiration to begin with.

oh, and why isn’t this in offlines?

Steven, this main forum gets 10x the viewer traffic. I suppose a link from the Offline forum would’ve been helpful. Finding interest has not been a problem.

Jim Anderson gets most of the credit for starting these tastings:
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=591174#p591174
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=595093#p595093

Bob definitely sparked the inspiration.

RT

Shit Wood III…

I guess put me own tentatively. I’m not the biggest fan of the vintage and have been hesitant to sin up to taste a lot of wines from a vintage I’m not crazy about. I’d rather not take a spot of someone who really wants to do it though. Count me for one at the moment though.

I guess put me own tentatively. I’m not the biggest fan of the vintage and have been hesitant to sin up to taste a lot of wines from a vintage I’m not crazy about. I’d rather not take a spot of someone who really wants to do it though. Count me for one at the moment though.

Jim – what is it about the vintage that doesn’t excite you?

When we were debating whether to go with the 04 vintage one of the reasons given not to, was that a lot of people said I have none in my cellar.

Next year we would likely skip 2003 and go with 2002. Then we would have a tougher decision for year 5. Do we continue working backward – 2001? The further back we go the tougher sourcing 2 bottles per person. Or do we move forward to 2008 or 2009? Or even revisit 2007?

Are people really that lean on options that are only six or seven vintages back in terms of current release? If you’re not drinking these on release, they really need to get out of that adolescent phase to show their true selves. That’s 3-5 years from the vintage in my book and I’m rarely disappointed with keeping mine out to the 20 year mark (or more). Maybe my selection criteria is toward the long runners and maybe my tastes are toward the autumnal, but I’m surprised you’d not be able to get 30-ish folks for a 2001 retrospective.

I haven’t chimed in to join this mostly because I’m almost always tapped out by Monday of IPNC weekend and there’s typically travel or post-IPNC cleanup work to do that would make it hard for me to join in. I do look forward to the notes generated out of this.

Cheers,
fred

Fred, are you working with David’s group again? you should try to break loose for a few hours on that Monday. It’s a great time, and certainly close enough from the Linfield Campus.

This tasting was born from arguments about how crappy 2007 was supposed to be, a vintage that was widely available during the Summer of 2011. The popularity of OR PN seems pretty well correlated to the boom in the number of WV producers. I suspect that a number of Berserkers, who’ve developed and express a passion for OR PN, might be excluded for tastings of 10 - 15 year old Oregon vintages. My own supply of 2002 and earlier is very spotty. I’m sure a tasting of earlier vintages could be done, but would likely have a different feel.

A couple of weeks ago in Portland there was a vertical tasting of Cameron Abbey Ridge Pinot Noir from 1993 through 2007. John Paul obtained most of the wines from a good friend’s estate. The friend passed away and left him the first opportunity to get back some properly cellared wines. John Paul reportedly had no Abbey Ridge PNs prior to 2002. Some cellars are deeper than others.

RT

Rich - you can add one more if there is room - Andrew Rich.

Fred,

Some of us were foolish enough to try and start producing wines, which put a serious hole into the vintages I have in my own cellar. Event the years before Matello are pretty lean for me. When you’re not restocking, those older bottles start to look really tasty, even if it’s only 5-7 years.