2013 Bedrock Weill Syrah Exposition Series Never to be Repeated

$60 each, but they were sold only as a set of the 3.

I drank my '11’s. Boring would not be a descriptor. Your results may vary.

We are going to open all three sets ('11, '12, '13) tomorrow for what will hopefully be a great tasting.

I will report back on Sunday with some decent notes (to the best of my ability).

Still debating the tasting order… Not sure if it would be better to do all 11’s then 12’s then 13’s or all “Ones” first then “Twos” etc

Thoughts?

Looking forward to it.

I would do flights of the same wine. Looking forward to reading your notes.

I get that with a lot of Bedrock. But it’s worth buying as long as long as you are getting the release prices.

Agreed, id probably start that way…but I’m sure I’d also end up tasting them by vintage as well.

Pumped to hear your take on em - should be a great night!

If these wines really are styled like LaLa’s, then the tasting might be seriously premature. I think I remember having a 2010 Chateau D’Ampuis a year ago that was just a mouthful of oak. I got the impression from Chris that these wines were done omewhat explicitly in that style, though perhaps I am misinterpreting. In any case, I hadn’t had plans to touch mine for years so I’m very curious to see what you think when you taste them this young.

I’ve had a couple of the 2012s. They’re delicious wines that are absolutely not full of oak.

This was a really fun experience that I don’t think I’ll ever have the pleasure of doing again (though I certainly wish I could in a few years and you’ll soon see why)

I opened all the wines about 5 hrs before we started tasting through them. I did end up serving them in flights by designation (“one”, “two”, “three”).

I did not take formal notes as I was hosting and enjoying the company I was with but here are my impressions for what they’re worth:

The 11’s are in a great place right now. Completely balanced and integrated, they were a real pleasure to drink.

The 12’s really stuck out with their oak when compared to their 11 counterparts. I’m not sure what my impression would have been if we had had only the 12’s but next to the 11’s they came across as a bit unbalanced right now. I personally would hold these.

The 13’s are really dense, layered and extraordinary wines. They are superior to the 12’s but the oak was still prominent. The balance did feel better (especially the '13 “three”) but I would still recommend holding these for an additional year or two.

Across the board the 11’s were preferred to the other wines in the flights (save for the '13 “three” which is a wow wine). Seeing where the first exposition iteration ended up after a few extra years has me convinced to hold my remaining 12 and 13 sets for the time being.
IMG_2517.JPG

Yes! Good stuff Jake, so cool that you did that. Sounds like an awesome night for sure.

Looks like my bottles will remain in the back of my cellar for quite a few more years.

Thanks again for posting!

Wow, awesome tasting, thx for the impressions!