2003 red burgundy - which one are you keeping for 50years?

Will:
I had one bottle of that-IMO the Charmes was better at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

I have 2 Grande rue Lamarche and 4 Grivot Vougeot. Will not wait for 50 years though. Lucky I did not buy many (2 cases and a half in total). The Roumier Morey clos de la bussiere is drinking well. Cacheux suchots is very poor and that’s the only case I bought as it was discounted…

I was wrong it was four times the price.

my oldest daughter was born in 2003 so I have quite a few…have also sold some after finding them too pruney…most of what I have left are Faiveley and Bouchard GCs from Gevrey, Corton and M Gaunoux Pommard 1ers

None…I passed on 2003.

I hope to be alive in 2053, but if I am it won’t be 2003 Burgundy I reach for. Why settle for a maybe wine at age 86.

What does Gouges taste like in 2003?

And on the Champagne side of things, I’d be curious to learn what happened to Jose Michel’s pinot meunier juice from 2003.

You’ll have to wait 45 years to figure out on the Gouges…but not 50 years, though you’ll only know at 45 whether it will need the full 50. deadhorse

It seems like that lean mean fighting machine style of Gouges would be perfectly suited for a crazy hot mess like 2003.

And if Jose Michel’s normally blanc de noir Pinot Meunier got declassified into something like a still red wine in 2003, then I’d love to try it.

Did not buy much, but I did lay down a case of each of these at a good price. I expect both to be very good in 20 more years, though they may never be exactly traditional. Both had good reviews and I am hopeful Pommard’s later maturing vineyards kept the heat in check, at least by comparison. Fingers crossed.

2003 Dom Comte Armand Clos des Epenots Pommard
2003 Gouges Les St. Georges

I think it’s safe to say that if you liked the 2003 character ok young, it might turn into “good” wine with age, though I’d expect the alcohols to become more prominent.

I didn’t like the vintage young, because the alcohols were not counterbalanced by acidity in most cases (and inartful acidification in many other cases) leaving me with a little fruit and much alcohol on the finish. Alcohol on the finish never diminishes; the fruit and tannins do, though. So, I avoided the vintage almost totally given its likely evolution and my personal tastes.

There are plenty of vintages I like…in fact, I liked most of them from 1983-2005, when I pretty much stopped buying wine. And…I don’t like counting on “crossed fingers”. [cheers.gif]

The 2003 Burg threads are always fun. And always the same. It’s funny, though, how all the 2003 tasting notes start with “I was expecting a roasted flavor but this wine tastes like great Burg” or something to that effect. It’s Cool to be an '03 hater, even if the evidence is going the other way (past 2003 TN’s on this board)?

Neither do I, but my bet was on two solid cases of wines that had very good reports. Two cases isn’t much of a risk, and I very much look forward to the experiment of trying them starting in another 10 years.

+1

Must be nice to be young enough to think about keeping something for 50 years. :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen any such evidence, Peter. My expectations were not looking for “roasted flavors”, but alcohol unbalanced by natural acidity on the short finishes…and I haven’t read anything that makes me think this heavy vintage character has or will “go the other way”. Those conditions/characters never do. Alcohol becomes more pronounced as wines age and primary fruit drops out, in my experience.

That’s not to deny that some people are fine with wines of such character…or try to be to confirm the wisdom of their purchases. But, that’s a different issue.

The 2003 Red Burgundy is probably the oddest cross section in my cellar. A search turned up 21 bottles in 12 wines. This is most likely a result in hype and points chasing, bought at the height of hype and points chasing- for me anyway. I’ll show the list because it’s kind of interesting:

1 Dugat-Py Chambertin
5 Denis Bachelet Charmes VV
1 Bouchard Pere et Fils La Romanee
1 Liger Belair La Romanee
1 DRC Echezeaux
1 DRC Grands-Echezeaux
2 Perrot-Minot Charmes VV
1 Jadot Clos de Beze
2 Groffier Bonnes Mares
2 Clos de Tart
1 1.5 Clos de Tart
2 Aufauvre Bouley CM 1er Morgeot
1 Gabriel Villard Pommard 1er Vaumuriens

I’m keeping an assortment with a concentration in a couple of producers:
Ponsot’s CSD, CdlR and Griotte, all bottled in magnum
Faiveley Beze, Vougeot, and Mazis (although these may need 60 years to come around)

I did no like them at release or subsequently. Whether they will improve- God knows- but I don’t think so.
I have only a few bottles of 2003 in my cellar:

Fourrier Griotte
Fourrier Clos St Jacques
Rene Engel Grands Echezeaux

Stuart. I’d bet we’ve had this ‘conversation’ about twice a year for the last 7 years?

ask him about 04!