Chicago

2 dinners in Chicago and not buying tickets… :slight_smile:

Moto, L20, Spiaggia - if 2 out of the 3, which 2? and if only 1?

Thanks!

Edit:
A couple of more dinners where we wanna go to really tasty places for around $50 per person. Probably staying downtown but don’t mind train/taxi.
also italian/french/american type of food please.
Recommendations please for those?

Thanks!!

Frontera Grill for the cheaper range. Lots of fun and very tasty

My preference would be.

1. L20
  2. Spiaggia
  3. Moto

Moto is pretty far out there.

Recent thread here.

https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/chicago-restaurant-recommendations/74377/1

George

Three pretty different restaurant choices. Moto is fascinating if you like molecular and a sense of humor (and adventure); Spiaggia and L2O are each terrific but stupid expensive on the wine side. If I were into stupid expensive wines, I’d swallow hard, buy some tickets and head to Alinea

On the $50 side:

Italian - Balena, RPM Italian, Piccolo Sogno (and PS Due)

American - Publican (Pork, Oysters and Beer), avec (no reservations), Bristol, Nightwood

French - nothing jumps into my head

Can’t say enough about Balena. Also saw they’re a semifinalist for the James Beard New Restaurant award. wine list is great, and look for the “Manlino” on the drink list…named after Chicago’s Scott Manlin!

Spiaggia is just too overpriced for me. I think the value at Acadia is better.
Naha is another place to consider.
If you enjoy molecular gastronomy, Moto is great.

hope this isn’t a silly question - but where do you go for good 'Chicago styled" pizza

I don’t.

Others go to Uno, Due, Giordano’s, Lou Malnati’s, Gino’s East and some others

Ignore David – he’s from Detroit. neener

I like Lou Malnati’s (although I probably go 1-2x/year maximum). There’s a location at 439 N. Wells, which will probably be nearest to your hotel.

+1 on Avec. Girl & the Goat, while not my favorite, is down Randolph Street from Avec and is quite popular with foodies. Not a great wine list, but corkage is reasonable ($25/bottle iirc).

It was renamed “The FreaK” after our own Chris Freemott. Did they change it back?

George

For Pizza I like Uno’s and Due’s It is nothing like the National Uno’s chain. That being said probably haven’t had one for a couple of years.

For cheap(er) eats I like GT Fish and Oyster. Yusho is great too.

George

I’ll toss out a Little Italy place for one of your other dinners: Davanti Enoteca. Small plates for sharing. Yes, it’s arguably a frnachise (San Diego and Scottsdale each have one)’ but I found it to be quite good.

Staying downtown, I’d also recommend Sable or Purple Pig for one of your other dinners. PP can get quite crowded with people who just want to be “in the scene,” but the food makes it worth that hassle.

I’ve yet to have a Chicago Deep Dish that does a better job than they did with same in Detroit. I’ve been totally nonplussed with virtually every pizza joint I’ve been to in Chicago. Worse yet, in busy Chicago restaurants they have a scam where you order your pizza before you’re even seated. Hurry up, move along, don’t let the door hit you in the ass!

^ I’ve only seen that at Uno’s and Due’s, which I always consider the most touristy joints.

hmm. chris would know best.

i do know that when we had dinner there, he asked if they could reprint a menu with “The Freak” listed instead of the Manlino to play a joke on Scott. not sure if that was a permanent change or just a prank. i will stop in tomorrow night for a drink and do some recon.

L2O, Spiaggia (take your own wine as I find the list high even for Mag Mile restaurant), Moto. As always call to confirm corkage.

Lou M.'s for “Chicago” pizza, Uno & Duo next. I’d avoid Giordanos.

You didn’t list it but for your 2 splurgy dinners i would do L2O and Grace. For me, L2O, Grace and Alinea are the best meals I have had in Chicago.

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders in Lincoln Park is an interesting place - it’s kind of like pizza in a bowl. Prepare to wait for a long time!
http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com

Another vote for L2O - my favorite high-end restaurant in the city. Spiaggia is also an excellent choice, though the food is lightyears ahead of the decor.

GT Fish and Oyster is awesome, and has a great corkage policy.

For Chicago-style pizza, I’d throw my hat in for Chicago’s (yes, that’s the name of the chain). Or, cab it up to Spacca Napoli for the best pizza hands-down, and chat up the owner for his story.