Chicago

Favorite of the pizza chain: Malnati’s. Best deep dish in the city: Pequod’s.

I’d add Maude’s for French fare, with some liberties taken.

For French, Cyrano’s is nice (although he’s changed his focus a bit, it’s still French influenced), Kiki’s is pretty straight forward bistrot and Le Sardine is a very good choice as well. Paris Club is French-influenced, but more focused on the crowd than the food, and Mon Ami Gabi is a bit more traditional (both are Lettuce Entertain You restaurants). Finally, at the top end, Everest has some Alsatian infulences (but not as much as it used to)

Les Nomades also.

George

Les Nomades is fantastic, but be forewarned, it’s very traditional and men are expected to wear jackets in the dining room.

Les Nomades i terrific, but they have moved away from the stoic, classic French of the olden days (as most restaurants have). All downhill since they started to let the public in 20 years ago [snort.gif]

I agree. IIRC, they also have corkage free Thursdays.

JD

If you’re staying over a Sunday evening (the only night they take reservations), you might consider going to Ruxbin.

Unpretentious atmosphere, BYOB, sophisticated food. Went last night and our meal was sensational and it came in at about $50/each not including wine.

This is helpful as we will be there for the Blues Festival (any tips about that event?)

^ Don’t drive if you can help it. Public transit is your friend.

Not the last time I saw it…

Maybe these people could learn to spell “Terroir” ?

[wow.gif]

Nothing is right when you have some of “The Freak” in your mouth…

I thought what happened in Beaune stays in Beaune.

George

Update request please:

What’s there to do in Chicago?
Wrigley field tour? River Cruise? shop around the “magnificient mile”. sears tower sky deck…
we’ve got 2.5 days… not sure what there is to go.

Cubs aren’t playing… Doubt we’ll make a hawks/bulls playoff game unless we get lucky? How easy are tickets to those playoff events especially the hawks?

Thanks!!

Weather is supposed to be crappy. You can try stubhub for the hawks if you are willing to pay a lot. I would recommend the Art Institute, The Lascaux exhibit at the Field Museum is great. The architecture cruise on the river is also great (weather permitting) The sky deck is fun, very touristy. Stay away from Navy pier it is a waste of time. Wrigley is dump. Lots of great bars and restaurants to keep you more than happy.

George

Agree with George avoid Navy Pier. The only thing I’ve found positive about Navy Pier is that the boat ride to Soldier Field for a Bears game is very convenient. Unless you are a Cubs fan there are better things to do than Wrigley-I’m surprised my wife hasn’t forced that tour on me yet…

The Art Institute and the Field Museum are great. So is the Shedd Aquarium. Never done the Sear’s (name has changed) tower sky deck thing is supposed to be pretty cool though I haven’t done it and have NO plans to do so. Might be touristy but, then again, you are a bit of a tourist. Mag Mile shopping is great if you want to shop. There are a lot of boutique shops on Oak St. just off of Michigan Ave.

I have heard great things about the architecture tour but have not done it.

The architecture tour is great, highly recommended (weather permitting).

+1.

The Art Institute is right next to Millennium Park. While there’s not a lot to do at MP other than walk around a bit, it’s a nice place to stretch your legs and the public sculptures are nice.

Millenium Park is really nice. The bean is worth it and the fountains with the face on them. The gardens aren nice too but a little early in the year. Of course if the weather keeps up Chicago may float away. [wow.gif]

FYI - Millenium Park being right next to the architecture tours is a bit of stretch. The boats that take you on the tour isat the river and Michigan Ave. The park is a couple of blocks south of there starting on the south side of Randolph. It is very, close just not adjacent. Just didn’t want you to get lost. champagne.gif

George

perfecto. thanks guys!

Weather in the 2nd week of May is suppose to be crap? bummer. i guess no harm to museum/indoor sights… but outdoor walking is limited…

although you guys sure forecast weather really far ahead :slight_smile: