Maldives

I’ve always been interested in going but felt it was way too expensive.

However, a nurse at my clinic went and said it was by far the best tropical vacation she ever took.

But…I have no idea how, what, when, where etc.

From the map, it looks like there are so many islands/atolls, I have no idea where to start.

Has anyone been?
Any advice?
Kid friendly?
What kind of activities?
What to watch out for?
Is there a bad season to avoid?

I’m thinking either late in the year like November or February.

1 Like

Go now, while the islands still exist.

1 Like

I’ve been once, in late-March 2014, which IIRC is sort of a shoulder season but mostly dry. I flew from Chicago through Abu Dhabi. It’s a real pain to get to, even if you don’t mind long flights, because of the extra time for transiting Male to most of the resorts (land there and clear customs, take a small plane to a local airport, and then take a boat to your resort). It’s a full day to get there or back even from a place like Abu Dhabi.

The resorts, as far as I can tell, all have claim to their own island. This means that wherever you pick to stay is pretty much the only place you’ll go without jumping through some hoops and probably paying quite a bit for transfers. So, pay a lot of attention to the resort and what they offer. My guess is that most kids would get bored. You’ll have a pool, the atoll, a spa, a couple of restaurant choices, and whatever activities they happen to offer. These will be things like diving, snorkeling, maybe some fishing or whale watching, but most of your time will be relaxing, and activities will be very expensive (since the hotel is the only show in town).

I went for 5 nights and that was great but enough. A lot will depend on your resort but the islands are beautiful. We had an overwater villa which was really nice and private. I think we would have enjoyed the ocean far less without being overwater, where it’s easy to just jump in. The food was OK… think fish-heavy curries and such. It was fine by hotel standards but you’ll have few options so you end up eating similar food most days. They ship most things in and alcohol is strictly regulated so expect really heavy markups (think $50 for some curry and a beer for one, or $300/couple for a pretty average dinner with maybe a bottle of $20 retail wine).

I’m sure others here have more experience but feel free to PM if I can add more.

Trip advisor:

Significantly political unrest in late 2015:

Groupon and living social have been running deals for Maldives, screaming deals actually.

A couple of nights in Abu Dhabi, 5 or so in Maldives, airfare, food, and hotels for less than $3K. Oh, and you fly Emirates.

Good chance we’ll jump on one of these if the dates work.

You don’t fly Emirates to Abu Dhabi…

If you do stop over in AD let me know, you will get a lot more value from your hotels here than in the Maldives, though they are hardly comparable.

Tyler Rico is headed there

Agree … go ASAP… islands gone who knows when… :frowning:

i loved it when i went 10 years ago.

Correction, it’s Dubai which is up the street from AD.

Most of you reading will think this is a typical tongue and cheek thread from Flyertalk. The reality is… well, draw your own conclusions.

N.B. I’ve never been. I did gift my son and daughter-in-law 2 tickets to go there. They stopped in Columbo for a week, before heading to the Maldives. The travel bloggers would have you believe that if you sign up for enough credit cards, and plan accordingly (along with your husband/wife/s.o.) you can fly for free. That part is true. [wink.gif]

Only if you have the time >> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1479279-am-i-only-one-who-hasn-t-been-maldives.html This thread started 3 years ago, and is still active today.

I have been twice; loved it. First time Hilton Rangalu and Park Hyatt Hadahaa; last January just the Hyatt (along with Sri Lanka)

Hilton more kid friendly; Hyatt not as much . By friendly, I mean activities; the Hyatt is warm to all guests.

Do you like being lazy by the water? Even if you snorkel or dive, it will be a vacation to unplug and chill.

I only could swing it because of frequent flyer miles and hotel points. Even if you have free airfare all the way to Male, the transfer to your island will be $500 each. And it is as close to the opposite side of the world from LA as you can be and still be on land.

It is better than French Polynesia. It tied the Cook Islands for my all time favorite.

If you haven’t been to Hawaii a lot, that’s where you’ll get value and tons of things for kids.

Phil,
Thanks for your summary.
Interesting you say 5 days is just enough time… Oddly it’s about the number of days I was thinking.
I guess I am really just wondering if the time to fly there is worth it as far as the experience.
In particular, the over water villas look killer…or is Maldives just another tropical setting like any other?
Photos have always fascinated me.

Barry,
Me and kids have been to Grand Cayman, Kauai and recently Maui (2 weeks ago).
We’d happy to go back but I thought (being single dad) that trying someplace different for the experience and education would be fun.

Victor,
You threw me off with “go now” being that you are the resident frugal dude. [wink.gif]

And there are so many choices… Are there some atolls better than others?

Comparing the two resorts:

Park Hyatt Hadaahaa - The most amazing delicate coral on the house reef. The second time we only snorkeled; among the best snorkeling ever, but diving was good but not great.

Conrad Hilton Rangali - An interesting house reef, more fish to see, coral more beat up.

We did 6 days the last time. Likely you will get there late unless you overnight in Male.

If you go via Cathay, you can spend a few nights in Hong Kong - if you haven’t been, it’s awesome, and 180 degrees different. Only problem is when it’s best in the Maldives, it’s cool in Hong Kong, so it can be temperature shock. When we came back from the Maldives (stopping in Sri Lanka, both right on the equator), we hit the first snowstorm in Hong Kong in 60 years. Luckily, easy to buy cheap warm clothes there.

As something else worth considering, look at the Cook Islands. Half as far. Not as pristine underwater (diving was on the low visibility side) but drop dead gorgeous, and the most friendly folks anywhere.

Friends recommended both the 4 seasons Maldives resorts to us recently as, by far, the nicest places they’d ever been. They’re quite wealthy and have stayed in a lot of very, very nice places so this was quite a statement.

I’ve heard the reef at the four seasons isn’t so good because it’s so close to Male but I could be misremembering. . I would be searching on travel and dive boards, not here.

Not sure if you were replying to my 4 seasons post particularly or making a general comment re the Maldives. Either way, the people making the recommendation I referred to above are both very keen/experienced scuba divers. They said between the crystal clear water, turtles, whale sharks and reefs it was awesome.

Barry,
Cook Islands looks great.
Where did you stay?
Flight costs look around $1500 per.

Dan,
Four Seasons… kids… Four Seasons… kids…
Nahhh…

Private rental on the beach in Rarotonga.

Went for honeymoon last year. Stayed at One and Only Reethi Rah. Got a hut on the water. Totally not worth it. Food sucked. There are much nicer and more accessible places to go in the Carribbean.