I need suggestions for several cities along SE seaboard please

We will be traveling to Savannah, GA, Beaufort and Charleston, SC, as well as the Wilmington and Charlotte, NC areas. Do any of you folks have non-wine related suggestions of things to do and things that can’t be missed? We’re traveling for a few weeks in July so any thoughts on “you have to do or see this” are greatly appreciated.

TIA,

David

Seriously, out of the 18152 members on this board there are no suggestions for things to do in these cities? Come on folks, help a brother and his wife out, please. [flirtysmile.gif]

I don’t know what you folks like to do, so here is a smattering of things for Wilmington, NC: USS North Carolina (WWII era battleship, now a museum), Fort Fisher (Civil War-era fort), the North Carolina Aquarium (small, but mostly dedicated to local sea creatures), the Front Street/Water Street area downtown (across from the USS North Carolina) is full of restaurants/shopping, and there are always the beaches (Oak Island, Wrightsville, Carolina, etc.) with all the normal beachy things to do. Hope this helps.

FYI, big piece in the NYT travel section on Charleston dining today.

Have you done a search? There are a number of threads on this. Here are two:

Look before you criticize.

Beaufort is a very small town. You can walk the area near the water in an afternoon. As you drive into town, you will see a very old national cemetery there that was commissioned by Lincoln in the Civil War. Give a wave to my Dad and Mom. They reside under a lovely Live Oak tree complete with moss. You can drive around and guess which house is the one from Great Santini and Big Chill.

Charleston has lots of historic buildings and churches. Rainbow Row and a lovely open market. Buy a grass basket. Take a ferry and tour Fort Sumter:

Middleton plantation outside of Charleston https://www.middletonplace.org

The Army Air Corp museum north of Savannah is one of the coolest museums I’ve been in. My son loved it. http://mightyeighth.org

A walk around Forsyth Park is a must. One of the Savannah trolley tours is fun and interesting. The architecture is pretty interesting if you love old houses.

The sugar sand beaches along Tybee Island had the warmest water I’ve ever swam in along the eastern seaboard.

I’ve seen an interesting trend recently about various towns and cities in the South. Particularly on TripAdvisor. Having grown up near Charlotte and having lived in Charleston I have a different view. People on TA rave about Savannah and recommend spending as much time there as Charleston. Savannah is worth a trip for sure but a short one unless you have lots of time. Beaufort is a neat little town as Nancy says above, but unless you’re wanting to unwind in a quaint place with little to do, I would’t spend a lot of time there. For food and wine people like us Charleston is worth a lot more time. I’m not saying Savannah and Beaufort aren’t worth visiting, they definitely are, but I would maximize my time in Charleston. Lots of great restaurants many with really good wine lists. It’s also a beautiful walking city with plenty of history and also plenty of nearby attractions. Beaches, islands, parks, etc. Charlotte and Wilmington are great places to visit as well, but again, I would maximize my time in the Charleston area.

What Joe said.

Thanks to you all for the great suggestions, and thank you Howard for the links. I have to admit to not doing a proper search before asking my question. I haven’t been in that part of the country since I was a little kid, which was a long time ago, so your tips will help us have an even more enjoyable trip.

David

Going to the Caves Taureau website (great wine store) I see they recommend the following 2 Durham, NC restaurants;

Echo all that about Charleston, Charlotte, city baseball, Discovery Place(kids, adults too), Carowinds(amusement park), lots of restaurants, whitewater park, …July, come down to SC peach orchards/farms(some have hay rides for kids, farm animals, etc…just depends on what you like/want). hope you enjoy the trip, Dave

Bumping this thread. On the 20th we will be in Beaufort staying at the marina, and it is my wife’s birthday. What is the tastiest grub there? It doesn’t matter to us if it is food cart, a picnic table or white table cloth. It just has to be good. Wine list is totally unimportant (funny huh?), just straight up delicious is the goal.

Thanks in advance!

Bueller…

The Beaufort City Marina?

I will be there in a few hours to see.

My SIL lives in SunCity Oakatie. I can ask her for recommendations. I assume your mobility is limited. I’ve been to quite a few restaurants in the area but don’t recall any names. Let me know, I’m sure she has some good insight.

1 Like

We ate at the Old Bull Tavern which was very good. If you all ever make here I strongly encourage you to check it out.

• i just added the menu because I have thinking about that meal… delicious.

You landed at the downtown marina. I’ll be in Bluffton next month. We’ll have to check it out thanks.

The Cypress Wetlands in Port Royal is a quick and beautiful diversion. We rode bikes down the Spanish Moss Trail to get there. Very charming.