Flannery Rib Cap Prep

Thanks to this board, I now have a Flannery habit to go along with my wine habit. We are having company this weekend, and I will be preparing what Bryan predicts will be about a 3-pound rib cap, most likely in my Big Green Egg. I have never tried the rib cap before and would be interested in any insights from Flannery-addicted Berserkers.

Easy enough.

Take the rib cap out of the fridge a couple of hours before the intended cooking time to allow it to come to room temp. I leave it in the CryoVac personally. When ready to cook, remove it from the bag and dry off as best possible with paper towels. Then rub on a couple of TBS of EVOO or grapeseed oil. Give it a REALLY good seasoning of coarse salt…more than you think you need since quite a bit will be lost and the fat and richness of the cut needs some extra salt. I like to use Himalayan or Bolivian Rose as they are fractured and adhere to the meat really well. Of course, Kosher Salt will work as well.

Get the BGE up to speed and as hot as you can go. Sear each side of the critter for two minutes for a total time of eight minutes. Remove the cap from direct heat and either convert the BGE to indirect or go inside to the oven. Bottom line is that you want to finish the cap at 350 deg F for around 35 to 45 minutes. I like to pull it out at an internal temp of 130 to 135 deg F and let it rest for a good 10 minutes.

For service, remove the butcher’s twine and cut in one inch pieces. If you want, have some porcini salt to finish the dish with, or make a roasted garlic compound butter.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bill, much obliged. That was exactly what I was hoping for.

Philip, as a life-long aspiring baller, I may just do that!

[drinks.gif]

Like this?

Bill talked me through rib cap prep last Thanksgiving, and ours was simply unreal. And the sauce he suggested… Bill, can you post that here? It was delicious.

If you are looking to be over the top for fat and calories:

1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Cognac
2 TBS Dijon Mustard
1 TBS Dried Herbs de Provence
2-3 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
Butter
S&P
Pan Drippings From The Rib Cap if you want, but usually don’t use them.

In a medium sauce pan while the critter is resting, saute the garlic in the butter until soft, but not brown. Add the cognac and allow the ETOH to burn off. Add the heavy cream and mustard and whisk together. Add the HdP and whisk. Season with S&P to taste. If you pour in some pan drippings, don’t add the salt until you taste it. Melissa found out the hard way that the drippings are pretty salty.

Bill, did you ever think of writing a Flannery cook book? You’d make a fortune!

Bill, what was the name of the finishing salt you used at my house (Central Market, correct)?

Just to confirm… EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil right?

Bolivian Rose and I think (maybe) porcini…both from Central Market.

Note that if you Google “bryan flannery rib cap”, the first hit is this thread!!! [cheers.gif]

Having had this cut on Saturday at Zach’s prepared by Jordan, I went looking for it on Bryan’s website. I don’t see it there. Is it a special order?

I also loved the hanger steak, but that’s currently unavailable. I guess I’m not the only one who loves it?

If I tell him Tex sent me, will that help?

Bill, you are a god of cow. Truly. [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif]

I have always wondered, how many days in a month do you eat beef? And what percent of your beef intake is Flannery?

Ken,

Just call Bryan directly, he’ll hook you up. Lots of things he has are not on his website…nicest guy in the world, call him.

Just noticed this string…Tex’s advice with the BGE is spot on. I use the BGE method…high heat, direct sear, couple minutes a side. Convert to indirect, lower the temp, and pull at 125-130 internal…let is rest, and slice. Perfecto! Add some mesquite chunks or whatever wood you want for a bit more flavor during the cook.

I was told no hangers. The magically 8 hangers showed up in my shipment. [stop.gif]

Since last Thursday…

Flannery skirt steak–Thursday
Flannery Wagyu Strip, Flannery Midwest Prime Rib-Eye, Flannery Rib-Cap–Friday
Flannery Hanger Steak–Last night

Upcoming Saturday will be a butter poached CA Reserve Saritoga Steak, CA Reserve Saritoga Steak grilled and a CA Reserve Strip

Lipitor on sunday

Triple CABG.

Man that is seriously beefy, thanks Bill!

I like a little dried thyme on my cap…but that’s just me. It doesn’t need a lot of seasoning or sauces. My father-in-law practically insists on horseradish with his beef so I made a sauce with a bit of horseradish & some creme fraiche. Not necessary but it worked.

Since the 16th Flannery Private Reserve strips twice and a Hangar w/Kent Zimmerman. Probably a rib cap this weekend…or a hangar…gonna need to place another order. Had leftover strip this AM with farm raised egg & toast for breakfast. Wife’s been out of town and I’ve managed to eat pretty well.

JD