Flannery Rib Cap Prep

Word around the campfire is that Bryan is out of hanger steaks…FYI.

I made my first Flannery Cap for dinner last night, and while very successful and tasty, I would do the following for a successful outcome of the 1.5lb roast:

1. rest on the counter for an hour
  2. get sous vide fired up to 138
  3. take out of packaging and lubricate with olive oil (evoo not necessary, just plain olive oil is fine as it has the right smoke point for a charred exterior later on the pan, you won’t taste the evoo), then season liberally with cracked fresh salt and pepper, a light dusting of some garlic salt too
  4. roll the cap with your hands to further push the seasoning into the meat for better adherence
  5. place in bag for the water bath, make sure some evoo is also in the bag.
  6. cook in sous vide bath for 2-2.5 hours (I did 1.5 hours which was not enough as it was med/med-rare, you want this medium/med+
  7. get a cast iron pan red hot with NO oil yet, 10 minutes jacked up to the highest setting should do
  8. you will get a lot of smoke once you put the oil in the pan, so be prepared ahead of time for that with ventilation and drafting
  9. add a lot of olive oil, place roast in pan and turn every minute or once you have browned the exterior on the side on the pan. The first side room about 1.5 minutes, then a minute for the middle 2 sides, the. 46 seconds by the last turn. Every pan/range is different so keep an eye out for the proper sear in the pan on each turn of the roast.
  10. Plate to rest, I added truffle butter at this point to melt on the roast, it was awesome! Let rest for 8-10 minutes.
  11. eat!
    image.jpeg

I think I’d skip the olive oil and use butter or clarified butter.
The best rib cap I’ve had was smoked for a bit before being finished in an oven.

I like to slowly roast it. Pull it at 130 degrees. Slice thinly. For me, it is too rich to do thick cuts.