The Coffee Thread?

If this exists, someone please point it out. I love coffee as much (more?) than wine? And…I drink it every single day. Black. So that I can really taste the coffee. It’s time to order some more beans - was wondering if folks on this board have any suggestions. Any good suggestions? Let’s get this caffeine party started!

Klatch roasting has the best beans I ever tasted. Pricey, but delicious. If you sign up for their email, they will occasionally have deals.

The Panama Elida honey is quite good. There’s also one that tastes like blueberry – name escapes me but I think it’s African – they will probably know if you call to order. If they have the blueberry coffee yiu need to try it. It’s not flavored, just a natural, pronounced blueberry taste.

Edit: The Panama Elida IS the one with the distinct blueberry taste. Really unique and highly recommended.

The tasting notes on Sweet Maria’s in Oakland are very helpful. I’ve been a customer for many years, Scott.

Kona Coffee from Hawaii , get it green, whole bean Peaberry and roast & grind your own ! You’ll never beat it.

Scott, there are several threads here on coffee. My very strong suggestion is to seek out local roasters and buy fresh. Getting beans within three days of roasting makes all the difference.

Thanks guys, all good suggestions.

Nobody here likes coffee. [berserker.gif]

Do you have a favorite region? One man’s Chiapas is another man’s Sulawesi, so it’s hard to know what to recommend.

I really like Kona coffee. I tend to like my coffee with some nuttiness or earthiness. While I like my chardonnays with some acidity, not so much with my coffee.

I find Kona coffee to be quite boring. That said, I like Guatemalan coffee because it is somewhat lower in acidity, has interesting notes and often a pronounced chocolate taste.

I want more of the Peruvian I bought at Berserker Day!

+1. Guatemala’s Huehuetenango area makes the best I have found, El Salvador second. Been roasting my own almost a year–nothing better.

Not afraid to say it here but I love Starbucks. I drink the lesser cost Reserves (8.8oz $13+/-) on a daily basis and love them all. Sulawesi and Brazil are my latest. Jamaican Blue as a treat. I do the single cup drip technique; 35 grams of whole bean, ground medium to 425 grams hot water. Roughly 1:12 not the 1:16 as reccomended. I love it strong.

Cheers!

Check out this thread:

Good that you’re “not afraid”, Mike. Seriously. Whenever I’m on a drive (I go a lot between Phila and Maine) I am delighted to see the Starbucks sign, which I guess is their utility (like Mickey D’s or Hojo’s were in their day: uniformity). And, now , if you order something they’re not brewing , they do a “single cup drip” method, which is really nice. Though I love to see the sign, because it means “good coffee” and not crap…they’re not my favorite place at all.

My wife and I are addicted to an organic, “fair trade” blend (“One World”)made by a place in a city in Maine…Rock City Roasters. http://www.rockcitycoffee.com/about.htm

Though I’ve never gotten into roasting my own beans, I doubt I ever will, as I think the “best” coffees are blends rather than one source coffees. Over the years, I’ve liked various coffees of one source (ie, one location/country), but I’ve always gravitated to blends, which make the experience more satisfying. That’s why, I think, Starbucks does so well, in addition to uniform methods of making coffee.

FWIW

Sounds like my kind of coffee!

A coworker once brought in Yirga Cheffe beans in to the office and after brewing, it truly looked like dirty dishwater (I’ve never drunk dirty dishwater, but the taste of it would resemble it pretty closely).

A Starbucks coffee buyer once confirmed my suspicions. They buy the cheapest and overroast to hide the deficiencies.

I find the African coffees dirty and love the Central American coffees.

Don’t know what you mean by ‘dirty’. Can you explain?

For myself, after much exploration I have settled on Ethiopian beans. You talk about terroir, pretty easy to tell Kenyan from Ethiopian from Colombian.

Jorge,

If that yirga cheffe looked like dirty dishwater, it sounds like it was way too weak.

Yep. He did a drip brew and the beans were ground too coarse. But also, the acidity was off-putting. I like when my coffee tastes rich and full-bodied.