2001 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904

Local retailer just picked up a case or two of this and has it at $49. He is pushing the RP 96 score, but I’m wondering about the style and whether or not its a single or multi-bottle buy. Lately, high RP scores make me more skeptical of a wine than anything, especially when it is on a sticker on the label. I’ll probably get mixed answered, but just looking for some input.

While I would not go with the RP score, this is a more traditionally styled Rioja and should live a long time. I have had it twice and it was tremendous both times. Very much in the style of an RdH Rioja. The price point is a little higher than I would expect but within reason for a wine of this quality.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the RP score (is it actually RP?). This is one of my preferred classicly styled rioja producers. I have three bottles of this but haven’t popped one. The 98 I had a few months back still tasted quite young to me. I picked mine up for $40/per.

I am pretty sure the 96 was (shudder) Jay Miller, but this is old-school Rioja. I wouldn’t hesitate. Check that; I didn’t hesitate.

Good thread, I’ve been eyeing this. My local guy had it at $49 and just dropped it to $42. Also has the 2000 at $45. How is the 2000?

Fruit is sourced from different vineyards than the Ardanza, right? Wonder how it compares to that rather controversial bottling.

$40 at Wine Library, just FYI

I liked this:

Light to medium body. Very very smooth and long. Extremely interesting and compelling, but not shy. Definitely on the acid side, went will with a tomato-based spaghetti sauce.

However, Rioja Alta seems to have a lot of bottle variation. The Viña Ardanza
Reserva Especial 2001 that I had recently was complete junk, while others loved it. Whether that applies to this bottling I don’t know, but there was a lot of discussion re bottle variation here a few months ago. My take away message was that they make vast quantities of wine and are not so careful.

Thanks all, sounds like a winner. And again, being in Ohio, I’m used to folks thinking the local prices are a bit high. For what will amount to a 3-4 bottle purchase, I’d rather pay the extra tariff, support my local guys, and not bother with shipping.

As for RP versus Jay Miller, most retailers around here don’t make the distinction sadly. Just as will Wine Enthusiast and Wine Spectator, it is as if the magazine actually did the review, rather than an individual. Looks like the review came from 2010.

I agree with the premise 100%. I only order from out-of-state when a local retailer does not carry what I want, which sadly in FL, is all too often.

Dusty,

The wine is stunning. Go for it!

I just had a bottle of this the other day - in Barcelona. Def traditional in style, agree on the acid and i wonder about bottle variation too - mine def had quite a bit of funk. Worth a shot though.

The 2001 is a sublime wine. Definitely in the 96p range. I have had it 3 times and each time I heard the church bell ring. It is as good as a classical Rioja gets and that is damn good.

It is much, much better and much more classically styled. I have both. I can’t wait to drink another 904. The Ardanza, I will likely give away.

You guys are terrible. Just ordered some, as in “plural” . . . .

:wink:

In seeing how quickly my retailer is selling out of this, I’m coming to the conclusion that wines under, say, $35 with high points scores don’t necessarily fly off the shelves. . . maybe people think the score if a fluke because the wine is cheap? But at $49, it is a happy medium between the price lending credibility and the score saying it is a screaming deal.

had a bottle of this a few weeks ago. Excellent wine. $49 is expensive, but at $40 plus shipping, you end up almost back at $49.

Robert - the 2001 vintage is viewed as significantly better than 2000. That has been my limited experience as well.

G

I paid $44.99 +shipping

$39.95 + $3/btl shipping

[head-bang.gif]