2001 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904

and right next door to you!

Daniel or Max?

Wine Library

Empire- $37.95 w/ship free on a case

I got the 904 for $38 plus shipping. But my lips are sealed.

Good thread, I’ve been eyeing this. My local guy had it at $49 and just dropped it to $42. Also has the 2000 at $45. How is the 2000?

Robert - the 2001 vintage is viewed as significantly better than 2000. That has been my limited experience as well.

GENERALLY for Rioja 2000 is a more feminine, elegant vintage, while 2001 is more structured and concentrated. I actually prefer drinking the 2000 Rioja to 2001 at the moment.
In 15 years time it might be the other way round.

DISCLAIMER: I like good Burgundy, I don’t particularly like good Bordeaux.

Salud!

Mine is from Daniel but I paid $42. We got to taste it first, so it was worth the extra $2.

Uh, nope.

I picked up a bottle, and am going to pop it tomorrow. My retailer said he held back a couple bottles because he knew I would be back for them :slight_smile:

They are getting more, I understand.

A great tip on this wine.

Thanks

Popped a bottle 20 minutes ago to pair with Gator . . . Florida Gator football, that is.

Lots about this wine I like - good acid, medium body, leather, tangy red fruits, tobacco, vanilla. If I could turn down the pickle juice, I’d be jumping up and down. Let’s see how this opens up throughout the game . . . .

Just got an offer on this from an import agency in Ontario, where everything has to go through the provincial liquor monopoly. Case of 6, anyone care to guess the price per bottle?

$74!! Unfreakinbelievable!

IMHO excellent bottle and it did taste young, got mine at Empire.

Pickle juice?

Just got 6 of those delivered today. I figure we’ve got 10 years before they see a corkscrew

Yes, thought the pickle juice on this wine was a bit pronounced. . . .

I bought some of the 94 of this wine hoping I’d like it as much as I did when I used to buy it 30 (gulp) years ago. It has an awful lot of dill (read pickle juice) in it for my taste. I’m going to let it sit for quite a while, as I do like these wines when the American oak fades. For now, I prefer the riojas that don’t have the up front dill component (read Lopez de Heredia, or something from the 70’s).

Love this wine. No pickle juice to my perception, but dense red fruit, tobacco and green olives. Complex and beautiful, I bought enough to drink now and age.

I saw another recent offer on this wine. I’m trying to learn more about Spanish wines and am curious about the abv you usually see in Riojas.

I’ve also read some chat saying it’s a crime to drink this wine at under $20, but that doesn’t seem to be the consensus view.

Did you mean to say under 20 years?