Thoughts on 2013 Bordeaux?

I know 2013 is considered a “difficult” year for left bank Bordeaux, but I haven’t tried any as yet myself. I’m starting to some pretty good deals on 1st and 2nd growths though. Any thoughts on how they’ve turned out?

It is the worst left bank vintage since…even the 97 is better…even the 94 is better…may be 93. Even the modern wine making couldn’t salvage the vintage, watery yet with dry tannins.

Easy Pass. Mouton was probably my fav EP. Now the whites and stickies were quite nice.

I didn’t mind the Leovilles so much if memory serves.

But these wines are awful. The wines of the vintage are just meh, and for very early consumption.

With 30-40 years of age, these may turn into lovely wines.

Can you elaborate?

Sorry, some sarcasm on my part stemming from the 1995 Calon-Segur thread. neener

LOL. I recently bought a few La Conseillante when K&L closed it out. If I don’t like it I’ll blame Jeff Leve :slight_smile:

I bought a handful of the Cantemerle at $19 and expect them to be just fine at that price. Early simple drinking. I wouldn’t spend any real money on a 13 though

I’ve had a few of the Sauternes. They are ‘ok’. Hopefully they will get infected in price by the dry reds.

I’d wait to buy any of these.

A guys asks for help potentially to spend money making buying decisions and you respond with disguised sarcasm because of some obscure cross reference to another thread. Wow. Just wow. How would you like buying wine because of someone’s recommendation and later find out they were just being sarcastic.

it’s okay, i got the sarcasm. :slight_smile:

Historically, I don’t think prices of lesser vintages go up from futures and sometimes go down. With vintages like 2014, 2015 and 2016 behind 2013s down the pike, my guess is prices will go down, if anything, as people try to get rid of 2013s. So, I would wait and taste where possible before buying.

Right - LMHB for $150 and HB for $260 at K&L - seems priced to move. Was wondering if there’s a chance that these turn out to be better than people thought, like 2002 or other underrated vintages.

About a year ago we´ve tasted 20+ ´13 red Bx … generally quite pale colour throughout for a young Bx, sometimes even hints of brown (and we´ve tasted on the top-level) …
Yes, there were some acceptable wines - usually for rather early drinking, but they were too expensive for what they offered (even when less expensive than older vintages) … and the cheaper wines were simply not interesting … sometimes even really weak … I would prefer a good Cotes du Rhone instead …

Except you have almost nothing drinkable in your cellar … I see absolutely no reason to buy anything !
They won´t become more expensive, even cheaper in (off-soldes) with time …

I´ve tasted HB … one of the best (better) wines of the vintage … but - sorry - 260-300+ bucks for a wine that tastes like a 50-70 $ wine … I wouldn´t rate it higher than 90 points … I´d rather buy 2012 Grand-Puy-Lacoste or Domaine de Chevalier 2012 instead … (among others)

Thanks Vince, I figured you would. Though maybe not as low priced as the 2013s, the 2014s are quite good - I’ve been selectively buying this vintage recently.

:slight_smile: hahaha

Buy dry whites!

After their comparatively positive showing EP, the dry whites were a disappointment at the Southwold tasting of the top 150 or so wines earlier this year.

Some of the sweet wines were nice. La Tour Blanche might be worth a look.

The reds were atrociously bad. They couldn’t be discounted enough.

I disagree. The '13 Pessac-Leognan top dry whites I have tasted has been very good to great. Now I agree '14 is better, but '13 is also a very good vintage for these wines.

Nature gave next to zilch, speaking to reds, so the Bordelaise marketeers brand it the year of the winemaker!