Thoughts on 2013 Bordeaux?

Stephen Browett’s write-up is worth a read: https://www.farrvintners.com/blog.php?blog=244

My own here, for what it’s worth: 2013 Bordeaux: the Southwold Tasting – William Kelley

A few thoughts

1. There will be very little 2013 available in the US. No reason to import it, if you know you can’t sell it. Most retailers will buy what has been preordered, and would be foolish to keep wines for stock unless prices drop dramatically. Most of it will end up in French supermarkets and the like; the more sought after estates will probably be tied in somehow to better vintages.

2. It is an awful vintage. The 2013s I have tasted are thin and pretty nasty; certainly I have not tasted young wines as poor as these as a group since 1991. There is no reason to buy unless you need to fill a vertical. Or have a baby born that year, and even then, there are better alternatives.

3. There are currently on the market some old stock of 2010, 2011 and 2012 both decent average vintages, and just about to come to market 2014s, a vintage that I like a lot, with 2015 and 2016 in the hopper. Even the Bordelais themselves know 2013 will be a hard sell, although most are with the negotiants now, and I am sure if you want them, they will be cheaper in the future, as they will need to get rid of them, even at a loss to make room for new stuff. Most likely it will end up in Europe; cost of transport becoming a factor.

The difference between 2013 and 2002 is the price. You could take a flyer on all the firsts for less than $100 each.